Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-01-12, 10:09 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Question Thoughts/Suggestions on line

So I ordered me a Pflueger Supreme XT 9235 today specifically for drop shotting. When it arrives I'll need to spool it up; I've always been a Suffix braid fan and slowly getting use to PowerPro. I've seen quite a bit of talk about Suffix 832 braid; is it better than the "regular 'ol" Suffix braid? 8-10 dollars better?

Should I/do I need to run a mono backing on a spinning reel?

My intent is to run a 30 or 40lb braid with a flouro leader of equal diameter or bigger (e.g. 15-20lb flouro).

Am I off or missing something here as well? What are your suggestions for a drop shot rig?

Thank you...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 11:07 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll be watching this post to see what others have to say. I have had braid on one spinning reel, without any backing for 3 years now without any issues.
Old 07-01-12, 11:16 PM   #3
bamabassman

i have the suffix 832 and have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. it is actually smoother i think than the power pro i also use. the more oyu use it (treated with KVD line conditioner), the better it feels to me. i love it.
Old 07-01-12, 11:30 PM   #4
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'll be watching this post to see what others have to say. I have had braid on one spinning reel, without any backing for 3 years now without any issues.
I'm with you Keith, I don't see a need for a mono backing on a spinning reel, a baitcaster for whatever reason makes sense to me, but a spinning reel doesn't. I was also curious to see what others said about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i have the suffix 832 and have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. it is actually smoother i think than the power pro i also use. the more oyu use it (treated with KVD line conditioner), the better it feels to me. i love it.
Bama I'm assuming you've used the original/regular Suffix braid before you used the 832, is the 832 worth the extra 8-10 bucks? To be honest I'm not much of a braid fan until it is "broke in". New, Suffix seemed to cast more smooth than PowerPro though.
Old 07-01-12, 11:36 PM   #5
bamabassman

well marine.....i used power pro first. and bigbassin (anthony) turned me onto it AND suffix 832. i htink it IS worth the extra $10.00 really. and it lasts jsut if not longer than the power pro. so 4-5 yrs is worth the extra money in my opion. now that is IF oyu treat it witht he line ocnditioner like i do.

and as for the backig on spinning reels....well i have 2 with braid on them and i used the backing on them. mainly because i can't afford to use an entire spool of braid per reel. my main problem with spinning reels is the DADBURN TWISTING i get no matter what i do on a psinning reel. i put it on JSUT like the video says ot and i STILL get line twist. i gave up trying to figure out how to stop it. i jsut curse and go with it. let it all out and re wind it. lol.
Old 07-01-12, 11:36 PM   #6
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't some spinning reels come with a spare spool for braid? I ordered a Soron STX 20 and if I'm not mistaken it has a spare for braid. I don't use mono backing on any of my baitcasters and have had no problems with slippage.
Old 07-01-12, 11:48 PM   #7
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

USMC, I have used both the performance braid and the 832 and I have to say I personally prefer the performance braid. I don't fish too many applications that require a sinking type braid, just the opposite in fact. I didn't dislike the 832, just not what I required for the application. I have used power pro in the past and I think it is garbage compared to suffix. Once again, just my $0.02. To answer your second question, you do not need to use backing on a spinning set up. However, if you want to use the 832 and feel like making it stretch. Use a backing and cut down on the braid on the spool. You are never going to use even half of a spool on one cast. I have tried both and don't notice any difference between backing or not.
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 11:49 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I don't see the need for 40# braid for drop shotting. I use virtually all Pflueger reels including the Supreme XT (older version, gold reel) in a 30 size for dropshot. I use 20# suffix with about 5' of 6# flurocarbon leader. I do put backing on to save on the expensive braid, and put a wrap of electric tape between the backing and braid. That keeps the braid from digging into the backing. Your reel selection is fine, but with the bigger spool on the 35 size, a little backing will save you some expensive braid.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 11:51 PM   #9
bamabassman

bruce....when oyu apply the tape do oyu tape it all across the spool? i am htinking iwant to start doing this, because of the diggin ya know.....
Old 07-02-12, 12:47 AM   #10
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well marine.....i used power pro first. and bigbassin (anthony) turned me onto it AND suffix 832. i htink it IS worth the extra $10.00 really. and it lasts jsut if not longer than the power pro. so 4-5 yrs is worth the extra money in my opion. now that is IF oyu treat it witht he line ocnditioner like i do.

and as for the backig on spinning reels....well i have 2 with braid on them and i used the backing on them. mainly because i can't afford to use an entire spool of braid per reel. my main problem with spinning reels is the DADBURN TWISTING i get no matter what i do on a psinning reel. i put it on JSUT like the video says ot and i STILL get line twist. i gave up trying to figure out how to stop it. i jsut curse and go with it. let it all out and re wind it. lol.
4-5 years out of line I must truly have no confidence in line as I've re-spooled one of my bait casters twice already this year with braid. As for the twisting I'm like you I'll just curse and deal with it. My daughters spinning rod p!$$es me off to no end. I just chalked it up to to the line and thought a mono was a mono was mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHerman330 View Post
USMC, I have used both the performance braid and the 832 and I have to say I personally prefer the performance braid. I don't fish too many applications that require a sinking type braid, just the opposite in fact. I didn't dislike the 832, just not what I required for the application. I have used power pro in the past and I think it is garbage compared to suffix. Once again, just my $0.02. To answer your second question, you do not need to use backing on a spinning set up. However, if you want to use the 832 and feel like making it stretch. Use a backing and cut down on the braid on the spool. You are never going to use even half of a spool on one cast. I have tried both and don't notice any difference between backing or not.
I always liked the Suffix performance and then started running PowerPro because I can't get Suffix locally. I've never been really impressed with the PowerPro, but it gets the job done so I continue to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I don't see the need for 40# braid for drop shotting. I use virtually all Pflueger reels including the Supreme XT (older version, gold reel) in a 30 size for dropshot. I use 20# suffix with about 5' of 6# flurocarbon leader. I do put backing on to save on the expensive braid, and put a wrap of electric tape between the backing and braid. That keeps the braid from digging into the backing. Your reel selection is fine, but with the bigger spool on the 35 size, a little backing will save you some expensive braid.
Honestly one of the only reasons I threw the 40# out there is because it is equivalent diameter of 10# mono and basing that off the suggested line size/capacity of the reel. I'm highly considering 20# and no more than 30# braid. IMO 40 is way to high, I mean I only run 50 on my frog/jig rod. I'm confident in that as it has never let me down.

The sport of fishing has greatly changed since the mid-90's. Back then the only line I used was Trielene XL in 12lb test and never had a problem. I've considered going back to solely that granted I know there are better brands out there with more to offer.

What is y'alls recommendation on flouro? Brand specifically...

Thanks for the input so far everyone. It is interesting to hear (read) everyone's thoughts on it, experiences, etc. Thank you, again. I'm interested to hear more...
Old 07-02-12, 12:53 AM   #11
Bassboss

I'd go no more than a 20lb braid. And yes, I would go with 832 becuase it's denser, so it should transmits bites better then performance braid. I always say use the backing -- helps save your line!
Old 07-02-12, 07:08 AM   #12
keithdog

I have mine spooled with 20 pound 832 braid as well. It's more than strong enough for what you want to do and very thin diameter.
Old 07-08-12, 10:10 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

This thread is a little old, but I'm going to respond anyways as our internet has been out for a few days and I finally got my wifi hotspot on my phone working (Gotta love open source Android!).

To answer the OP's original question of Sufix PB vs 832. I've been a fan of Sufix PB for a few years, but I'm now switching over all my braided line reels to 832 (except my topwater frog, since 832 sinks). I've been loving the 832 in 10lb test on a light spinning reel.

Before I started using braid for spinning reels, I tried a couple different mono and FC lines and nothing did the trick. Before our recent trip up to northern Michigan, I decided to spool my Fuego 1500 with some fluorocarbon for the gin clear water (we were sight fishing in 15ft of water). I went with 7lb Sunline Super Sniper FC and I have to say I was impressed. By far the best fluorocarbon I've used on a spinning reel. Now I wouldn't want to go any heavier on the 1500 sized reels.

Now, I did experience a little twist, but mostly because I didn't get to go through my normal procedure of KVD L&L and letting the line out and reeling it back up.

I've only used it for one day on the water, so I can't say if I would replace braid for all FC.

BB
Old 07-08-12, 10:02 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
well marine.....i used power pro first. and bigbassin (anthony) turned me onto it AND suffix 832. i htink it IS worth the extra $10.00 really
May need to try that one, John-been using Powerpro for years with no complaints, but you and Keith both like it, so....

Anyway, to the original question:

For drop shotting I would just spool up with mono, or more specifically with 8 lb P-Line Floroclear. Mono with a fluoro coating. Tough but handles like a dream. The only app I use braid on a spinning reel is a shakey head and that I use 30 lb with an 8 lb fluoro leader.
Old 07-08-12, 10:42 PM   #15
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Anyway, to the original question:

For drop shotting I would just spool up with mono, or more specifically with 8 lb P-Line Floroclear. Mono with a fluoro coating. Tough but handles like a dream. The only app I use braid on a spinning reel is a shakey head and that I use 30 lb with an 8 lb fluoro leader.

That's exactly what I put on the reel last night. I liked the way it handled on my spinning reel. We'll see how it performs next go round.

I also have the same line on a baitcaster, the first trip out I was thoroughly impressed not so much today. WAAYYYY to much stretch for T-rigging or weightless plastics. Plus it's really starting to take on memory from being on the spool.
Old 07-09-12, 12:49 AM   #16
Rebbasser

One thing I started using a few years back on my line is KVD's Line and Lure. It is a silicone spray you put on the line that really helps with memory and control. I usually it on all lines all including braid and highly recommend it.

For stretch you might go with braid. I throw most of my T-rigs on braid, and don't use a leader except on a shakey head and am debating doing that. I really don't think a leader makes that much of a difference, especially since I'm not tournament fishing.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 07-09-12 at 12:54 AM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 01:29 AM   #17
Jrob78

KVD L&L is awesome stuff. I use it on all my line, it cuts down on memory a ton. I spray my reel spool the night before I go out and it makes a huge difference. I honestly haven't found a line yet that doesn't have quite a bit of memory after sitting on the spool for any amount of time. The KVD always takes care of it though.

With braid, I hate it when it's new. I like it the best after about a half a season of hard use. It gets softer and all the coating is gone, especially braids like Power Pro. The Sufix Performance Braid is awesome, I haven't tried the 832 yet but the PB is so good, I don't know if I will switch to anything else. I also run 50 on my frogging/pitching set up and 10 on my spinning reel with no leader on either.
Old 07-09-12, 08:00 AM   #18
bassboogieman

Quote:
KVD L&L is awesome stuff. I use it on all my line, it cuts down on memory a ton.
Don't get it on your hands - MY memory isn't worth crap since I started using it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 10:25 AM   #19
USMCbassman

When I order more line I intend on ordering some of the line conditioner too. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

As for the Floroclear on my bait caster; it's only been on there for a week. Oh well, it is what is and maybe it is just only a matter of line conditioner. I went to buy some the other day, but again none of my local tackle shops had any.

I will definitely be going back to braid though with the exception of my drop shot rig. For myself it will be just experimenting and following the suggestions you all provide. Eventually I'll find something that works the way I feel it should or as close to as possible.

LOL @ boogieman
Old 07-09-12, 07:59 PM   #20
bamabassman

reading what anthony said, i THINK i may know why i am having problems on my spinning set up. i am using 30# power pro and sufix 832 in 50#. maybe i am using too big a braid on my spinning gear?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.