Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-11, 09:32 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Higher End Spinning Reels?

Ok, so after further contemplating my love/hate relationship with spinning reels, I got to thinking about higher end spinning reels.

I always thought that for the most part, a spinning reel was a spinning reel. That a $60-100 reel was just as good as a $200-300 reel. Well, I pulled the trigger this spring and bought a Daiwa Certate 2000 from BPS ($400 retail, on clearance for $200).

This reel has further complicated my love/hate relationship with spinning reels because I never though I would enjoy fishing a spinning reel as much as I do with it... So personally, my mind is starting to be changed when it comes to the thought that a spinning reel is a spinning reel.

What do you guys think? I know most of us think it is for a baitcaster, but is the higher end spinning reel worth the extra coin?

BB
Old 09-28-11, 09:54 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats no different than asking the same question about casting reels. While it's true that good casting reels will be easier to use than some cheap ones, everything else is just better components and a nicer feel. The same goes for spinning reel, witht he exception of some overpriced brands and reels where you are buying a name only, you do get what you pay for. However, the best way to get the most bang for your buck is to research what components take the most beating and what components can drasticllay make the reel more of a pleasure to use and then buy reels that have the best of both worlds. I'm not going to list any names here, but i would be the most concerned about finding a reel with very good quality rotors and bail arms where the meet the rotor. Those are the first thing to wear on spinning reels and once they get sloppy, the reel is toast. Depending on how you use it, drags would be very important to me. The design of the spool is critical also, look for spools that have rounded lips instead of a tight corner. Then also, as long as it's a quality reel, here also bearings are important, the more the better as long as they are good and you should know that by the name and price. That doesn't mean that some cheaper reels that have a lot of bearings are junk, but I would be cautious of them
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 10:33 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use spinning reels a lot for presentations that require 4-6-8 lb line. Throwing a Shad Rap sr5 or 4" finesse worm etc. Also very practical on a windy day. I spool the line correctly, don't let a lure spin during retrieve and never reel against a slipping drag. Still budget reels have line mgmt. issues that are frustrating. So last year I bought a Stella and a Stradic C, paired with Cumulus rods, in over 80 trips out I prefer the Stradic, the Stella is very nice but the Stradic is so much lighter and $400 cheaper. Never throws a loop casts a mile and extremely sensitive. Soooo the answer for me is a good spinning reel is worth every penny (within reason) you can buy some quality spinning reels in that $200 bracket.
Old 09-28-11, 11:18 PM   #4
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I HATE spinning reels... recently had to buy one though because of a tournament (dropshot tournament) i used the quantom pt energy loved it... flawless (makeshure you spool it right)
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 12:01 AM   #5
joedog

pro reel is really the guy to talk too; but shore fishing and spinning equipment really go hand and hand. I too am a Quantom believer, the whole PT series is pretty well thought out and they continue to improve them and make them lighter. I have a couple of Tours, numersous PTs and a couple Kinetics. I think they have the things pro mentioned earlier and one thing thats really important to me is weight. There not the lightest but they are getting there. I don't know why, maybe its the set up but weight on spinning gear is more important to me than my casting gear. Hey pro, question, I hear alot about tuning and up grading gears and such on baitcast reels but never on spinning reels. Can't they be up graded or is it just not cost effective? IMHA 200- 300 dollars I think you get a pretty good reel, after that I don't know if extra cost other than using lighter materials is really worth it. Unfortunately if I pay 400-600 dollars on a reel, that reel is going up on the wall not the fish I catch with it! ....... May the MONKEY have mercy!!!

Last edited by joedog; 09-29-11 at 05:14 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 04:18 AM   #6
bluebasser86

I'm a finesse fisherman at heart. I love fishing a shakeyhead more than almost anything and a nice spinning reel is great to have. I have a Supreme XT 35 that I love. Long casts, no line twist, fast retrieve, and lightweight. Seems like the 100-200 dollar reels are great but much above that is just overkill.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 08:17 AM   #7
rrw4258

Well, I used to think the same way as you BB, but now that I have a light weight spinning reel, I enjoy fishing spinning tackle more. I only own one spinning rod, that is about all that is necessary for me on Lake Erie. You know as well as I do that the dropshot is the #1 bait on Erie for smallmouth, and if you are going to be doing alot of smallie fishing as I do, you better have a good feeling rod/reel. I love my Carbonlite/Patriarch combo, and it is by far the best DS combo I have used.

Ryan
Old 09-29-11, 09:07 AM   #8
DVT Mike

Much like a baitcast reel, as you get higher end in spinning reels you get more refinement. Tighter tolerances, stronger and lighter materials more bearings in place of bushings... This all leads to a longer lasting and more enjoyable piece of equipment. I really like the heavy duty bail wire used on the Certate. Look for a quality roller guide and keep it maintained to aid in managing line twist. An aluminum frame will keep things aligned and running smoothly. A good drag will protect the light line commonly used with spinning tackle. You get what you pay for to a point but there is a point of diminishing returns. That's probably in the area of $250 for casting or spinning reels but you have to do your homework in each case.
Old 09-29-11, 12:36 PM   #9
Bryan

Handle smoothness and line lay seem to be the biggest difference in the higher-end spinners over cheapies. Putting braided line on a reel with poor line lay can lead to some ugly tangles.

Drags are often better too, although the drag in my Penn 710 Spinfisher is probably just as smooth as the drag in my Stradic.

I agree with DVT Mike about the point of diminishing returns.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 07:27 PM   #10
Marty

Quote:
but is the higher end spinning reel worth the extra coin?
People can give opinions on products but only you can decide what something is worth to you.

Personally, I use $50 reels. They hold line, cast and retrieve lures and have a good drag. These reels do what I want them to do so I haven't had the urge to use more expensive ones.

To each his own.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 08:05 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

I have to say that spinning tackle takes a back seat with me. I have one setup in use, and I don't see any reason to own more. If it wasn't for a drop shot, shakey head, and senko I wouldn't even take one with me.

As far as high end to lower end spinning reels, I go sort of halfway, 150-200 bucks. Although right now I'm using an ABU Soron and I love it. It cost 120. I will say this though, the next spinning reel I am going to buy will be the Stradic Ci4.
Old 09-29-11, 08:36 PM   #12
Fish30114

I think you answered your own question to a large degree, and I agree with your points for the 'higher end' spinning reels. There is a big differencxe in my opinion, and it encompasses what others have said, better drags, smoother line lay, smoother running all around. I also vote with those that say after about $200 bucks it is pretty small return. I like spinning rigs and baitcasters. I through a LOT of my weightless presentations with spinning gear, and always have at least 3 spinnning rigs when I go out. I woulld definitely encourage you to get a couple more spinning rigs set up with a really good real and utilize them for some applications where you might need a little more free running cast, which is the hallmark of a spinning reel. I can tell you that I have a couple Shimano Stradics and they are really great, a good performer at a good price IMO.

Good luck!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 02:33 AM   #13
bluebasser86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Well, I used to think the same way as you BB, but now that I have a light weight spinning reel, I enjoy fishing spinning tackle more. I only own one spinning rod, that is about all that is necessary for me on Lake Erie. You know as well as I do that the dropshot is the #1 bait on Erie for smallmouth, and if you are going to be doing alot of smallie fishing as I do, you better have a good feeling rod/reel. I love my Carbonlite/Patriarch combo, and it is by far the best DS combo I have used.

Ryan
Sounds like you still think the same way as me. My Pflueger Supreme XT weighs in at 7.2oz and ran me $150. It's paired on a 6' 8" St.Croix LTB rod. I'm just saying that once you get over the $200 mark I'm not real sure the slight upgrades you get by spending a bunch extra are worth it. BTW, is that Patriarch the magnesium reel? I thought about getting one but it didn't balance the rod I wanted well. Seems really nice and I wanted but it just didn't work for the rod I was getting.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 07:28 AM   #14
Tavery5

The only reason I have a spinning rig is because I know I am suppose to. I was lucky enough to get one of the new Revo's when GM had their little pricing problem. Think I have used it once or twice since owning it. Spinning is just not something I enjoy, and will go out of my way to fish something on a baitcaster.
Old 09-30-11, 12:13 PM   #15
joedog

So Tavery5, are the revos any good or just priced high because of thier baitcast reputation?
Old 09-30-11, 03:57 PM   #16
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Boy, a guy goes a couple days without checking the forum and has a lot of responding to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Thats no different than asking the same question about casting reels. While it's true that good casting reels will be easier to use than some cheap ones, everything else is just better components and a nicer feel. The same goes for spinning reel, witht he exception of some overpriced brands and reels where you are buying a name only, you do get what you pay for. However, the best way to get the most bang for your buck is to research what components take the most beating and what components can drasticllay make the reel more of a pleasure to use and then buy reels that have the best of both worlds. I'm not going to list any names here, but i would be the most concerned about finding a reel with very good quality rotors and bail arms where the meet the rotor. Those are the first thing to wear on spinning reels and once they get sloppy, the reel is toast. Depending on how you use it, drags would be very important to me. The design of the spool is critical also, look for spools that have rounded lips instead of a tight corner. Then also, as long as it's a quality reel, here also bearings are important, the more the better as long as they are good and you should know that by the name and price. That doesn't mean that some cheaper reels that have a lot of bearings are junk, but I would be cautious of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Much like a baitcast reel, as you get higher end in spinning reels you get more refinement. Tighter tolerances, stronger and lighter materials more bearings in place of bushings... This all leads to a longer lasting and more enjoyable piece of equipment. I really like the heavy duty bail wire used on the Certate. Look for a quality roller guide and keep it maintained to aid in managing line twist. An aluminum frame will keep things aligned and running smoothly. A good drag will protect the light line commonly used with spinning tackle. You get what you pay for to a point but there is a point of diminishing returns. That's probably in the area of $250 for casting or spinning reels but you have to do your homework in each case.
Kevin and Mike, great points both... The better materials, tighter tolerances, etc. were something I had forgot to bring up in my first post. Before I used a better spinning reel, this was about the only advantage I had thought more expensive spinning reels had for the most part.

Diminishing returns is always a problem in this range of tackle, no matter what. I can now definitely see the difference between a $100 reel and a $300 one, although I'm still not quite sure it's worth the extra $200 for spinning reels. (definitely is for a baitcaster, IMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Handle smoothness and line lay seem to be the biggest difference in the higher-end spinners over cheapies. Putting braided line on a reel with poor line lay can lead to some ugly tangles.
Line management was one thing that really did surprise me when I started using a better spinning reel. The old Abu Cardinal 301 I used to use had a problem with that, then my Pflueger Supreme was much better, and I haven't had a single problem yet with my Daiwa Certate. I might take the braid off next year and give a light FC line a try and see how it handles that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
The only reason I have a spinning rig is because I know I am suppose to. I was lucky enough to get one of the new Revo's when GM had their little pricing problem. Think I have used it once or twice since owning it. Spinning is just not something I enjoy, and will go out of my way to fish something on a baitcaster.
Man, I used to be just like that. I kept one spinning rig in the boat for dropshotting (I still feel it's better on a spinning reel), and one for anything I just couldn't throw on my baitcasters. Now that I've got a better baitcaster for lighter lures, I find myself not even bringing that second spinning combo along. While I still do like casting reels better, I find that I enjoy fishing a spinning reel much more than I used to. I attribute that to the better reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
So Tavery5, are the revos any good or just priced high because of thier baitcast reputation?
I'm not Tavery, and I don't have a Revo Premier, but after messing with various spinning reels in the store I found it to be average compared to it's similar competition. Not quite as smooth as the Daiwa Fuego, Daiwa Certate, or Shimano Sustain, and not quite as light as the Daiwa Fuego, Shimano CI4 (which felt awful to me), or Pflueger Patriarch. It really didn't impress me compared to the attributes of some of the reels I compared it to, but was not the worst in any category. Though this was just in store experience.

I was kind of surprised by the amount of response I got to this thread, but it's been great discussion so far!

BB
Old 10-01-11, 11:34 AM   #17
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Not worth the money they are asking for them IMHO, but they are a nice reel, very smooth and cast well. I have used mine very little so someone who has used one more can probably give you a better opinion.
Old 10-01-11, 12:33 PM   #18
joedog

Thanks Tavery5
Old 07-11-12, 09:35 AM   #19
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with most of the above posters the mid range spinning reel give you the most
bang for your buck and like some baitcasters are my primary outfits how ever
I did find an economy spin caster that is very good _ the shakespeare contender at about forty bucks a "reel" bargain
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.