Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-11, 03:44 PM   #1
bottomfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braid with a mono leader issues

Ok. So I've really been trying to get into braid. I like it a lot. It had it's ups and downs just as mono, but I think the pluses supersede mono's plusses.

Here's the issue. The few things I disliked about the braid I thought maybe I could oliviate with use of a mono leader. So, I tried it. I used a uni to uni not to connect them and worked well for the first fish. Next fish, I set the hook and up comes my baitless line with my braid and both mono and braid uni nots still in tact. Obviously, the mono broke right at the joint. I wet the knots and took my time tying them. What gives?? I was scared to try it again that day in fear of losing another fish and more time spent making the leader.

Was 20# power pro with 12 berkley XT mono
bottomfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 03:50 PM   #2
bottomfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Best fish of that weekend!!

Old 08-18-11, 04:01 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Use an Alberto knot. It is the strongest leader knot for braid. Very very rarely do I have it break. Google it, and you'll find how to tie it.

Nice fish too!
Old 08-18-11, 09:07 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.stripersonline.com/wiki/albertos-knot

No worries using this leader knot.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:34 PM   #5
keithdog

Actually, 20 pound braid has such a small diameter I don't think I would use leader. At least I never do. I have 20 pound braid on a spinning reel and neveer used a leader. No troubles so far.
Old 08-18-11, 10:03 PM   #6
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

do not use a leader with braid to me it make no sense why uese braid if you use mono . it only as strong as it weakest point. if i wanted to throew mono then that is what i have on my reel
Old 08-18-11, 10:20 PM   #7
bamabassman

i too have NEVER used a leader with braided line. and truthfully, i haven't noticed fish "seeing" the line. 20# is thin in dia size. i use 30 and 50 pound. down there in la oyu should be fine without a leader. not real clear water right? not muddy like some places, but kinda tinted like mississippiboys house (inside joke pal, don't worry aobut it ok? it's from an old thread).

but i really don't think oyu need a leader on braided line for real. double palomar should do the trick.
Old 08-18-11, 11:21 PM   #8
Scattergun2570
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomfisher View Post
Ok. So I've really been trying to get into braid. I like it a lot. It had it's ups and downs just as mono, but I think the pluses supersede mono's plusses.

Here's the issue. The few things I disliked about the braid I thought maybe I could oliviate with use of a mono leader. So, I tried it. I used a uni to uni not to connect them and worked well for the first fish. Next fish, I set the hook and up comes my baitless line with my braid and both mono and braid uni nots still in tact. Obviously, the mono broke right at the joint. I wet the knots and took my time tying them. What gives?? I was scared to try it again that day in fear of losing another fish and more time spent making the leader.

Was 20# power pro with 12 berkley XT mono
I don`t know what ups and downs you are talking about with braid. It`s all ups as far as I am concerned. Power Pro is old technology as far as braid is concerned,much better choices out there. The only time I use braid with a leader is when I am around rocks. Braid doesn`t do well around rocks. If you are concerened with straight braid being seen by fish,then just use a Sharpie Marker to color the business end. Albright knot is better than the Uni,,it will get through the guides much easier. The Alberto version is a very good knot also. Tied correctly,it will not slip.
Scattergun2570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 02:57 AM   #9
islandbass

20# braid has roughly the mono equivalent diameter of 6# test. With respect to 12# XT's diameter, there appears IMHO to be a fair difference between both diameters.

Unfortunately, not all joining knots work well with the difference in diameter between the two lines.

In this case, I highly recommend the albright knot. It not only works well with lines whose diameters are relatively the same, it also works with those whose diameter differ "greatly" as in your case.

I bet that this should resolve your issue.

BTW, what is your reasoning behind using a leader? Ultra clear water perhaps? Just curious.
Old 08-19-11, 08:58 AM   #10
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If i was worried about line shy bass i would be using a fluro leader not mono. the only time i use a leader like this is when im dropshoting and then you are tying to the swivel not braid to fc. If you are in stained water skip the leader imo.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 09:05 AM   #11
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
do not use a leader with braid to me it make no sense why uese braid if you use mono . it only as strong as it weakest point. if i wanted to throew mono then that is what i have on my reel
I can tell you from experience that if there is a break (and if you use an Alberto Knot) it will not be at the connection of the two lines.
Old 08-19-11, 09:09 AM   #12
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i too have NEVER used a leader with braided line. and truthfully, i haven't noticed fish "seeing" the line. 20# is thin in dia size. i use 30 and 50 pound. down there in la oyu should be fine without a leader. not real clear water right? not muddy like some places, but kinda tinted like mississippiboys house (inside joke pal, don't worry aobut it ok? it's from an old thread).

but i really don't think oyu need a leader on braided line for real. double palomar should do the trick.
I do agree that fish don't see braided line that well. The reason I use a leader with braid is so that I CAN break off if I need to. Ever had a jig wedged between 2 boulders in 30+ of water while using braid?
Old 08-19-11, 09:56 AM   #13
DVT Mike

The Alberto and Albright knots have a small profile and pass through guides more easily in addition to having a great knot strength. I always loop the leader and wrap the braid.

Another application for a leader would be where abrassion is a concern. Zebra mussels and braid do not mix.
Old 08-19-11, 06:43 PM   #14
bottomfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I like the braid bc of casting distance, strength, and feel. The main negative I've seen with it so far is with my hooks. Just started using the owners twist lock hook for t-rig and love them. Used them in 4/0, BUT the braid seems to be extremely rough on these hooks (straighting them out on hookset). So I switched back to the old trusty gammy 3/0 and the bending issue went away, but I find it slips into the crack of the eye to much. I once since using braid have missed a fish due to this also.

So, I figured the mono leader would help in 2 ways:

1. A little stretch to relieve stress on the hooks

2. Thicker diameter so I don't have the loop of the not going into the separation of the loop

Not so much for the visibility issue. I'll give the 2 knots you guy mentioned a shot and see how that goes. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 08-20-11, 08:39 PM   #15
nobass

i use gammy 3/0 all the time i tie direct to the braid with polmar knot never had issue with line in the crack of the eye. my problem is i can't see the green line went with red and yellow dose not seem to effect the fish seeing it, man i do not know how hard to set the hook but it must be awesome if you are straighting them out , the owner i have used are extremly sharp try a sweeping motion they penterate real well. never had one do that. i have had them sink the barb in trees and never had one straighten out,
Old 08-21-11, 09:07 AM   #16
OkobojiEagle

There are several good reasons why you may want to use a mono/fluoro leader when fishing with a PE mainline. Abrasion resistance can be better with mono/fluoro; jerkbaits and walking topwater baits don't tangle in stiffer mono/fluoro as easily; loss of line due to breakage can be limited to shorter lengths; line diameter changes are more easily done using a leader than changing the entire mainline; less wasting of the expensive PE line due to frequent lure changes and re-tying of knots; as well as visibility issues.

When I used the double uni knot I found that when I tightened the knots severely THEN slid them together I would often break just below the leader knot. Tightening the knots moderately, sliding them together, THEN tightening severely would diminish this problem. Also "slobbering" them up excessively helped. Ultimately I changed to an Alberto knot and eliminated the problem all together. The Alberto knot allows me to clip the leader tag off entirely and encapsulates the mono/fluoro with the PE line, better protecting the knot from abrasion. Basting the knot with a light coating of super glue further protects the knot.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:21 AM   #17
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

hi hunter34 here , the knot I use to tie a leader to braid is the seagur knot
it is very strong and the least bulky line to line knot google it to lrarn how to tie
its super simple
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:17 PM   #18
bassboogieman

I use f/c leaders w/braid. Spinning I have 20# braid and 8# leader, uni/uni works for me.

Quote:
The reason I use a leader with braid is so that I CAN break off if I need to
Me too, CamG

Quote:
i too have NEVER used a leader with braided line. and truthfully, i haven't noticed fish "seeing" the line.
John, dinks haven't learned what that line is comming out of that tasty piece of plastic. The lunkers know and could that be the probl..... nah, couldn't be.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.