Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-12-12, 10:02 AM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default dropshot hooks other than circle or octopus

I've been experimenting with straight shank worm hooks and off set hooks for dropshotting. Tell you the truth, it seems I've been getting better hook sets than using short shank circle or similar hooks. At least with offset hooks I can T-rig for a more weedless presentation and have had success using large Brush Hogs in 15 fow.

The reason I decided to stay with straight shank, thin bronze hook is the success I had recently with d/s panfish which held my finesse lures away from the line and didn't deter slamming strikes. I then upsized the hook for bass and found equal success.

Anyone experienced dropshotting with straight shank or offset hooks?
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:01 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Haven't tried straight shank hooks, but I have used these to keep a bait standing out from the line. Stand Out Hook, available at BPS.

Didn't seem to give me better hook ups and I prefer to just nose hook a bait anyway. I use a small octopus style or mosquito style hook for most baits on my drop shot.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-12-12 at 12:06 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:23 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've used the Stand Out Hooks too and had decent success with them. They seemed like they needed to be sharpened right out of the pack though. The hook I've been using now is the Gamakatsu drop shot/split shot hook. It's great for nose hooking baits. I also like the Roboworm or Trokar finesse hooks with the keeper when I want to t-rig a bait.
Old 07-13-12, 08:34 AM   #4
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks.
I've seen the hooks mentioned but like the bronze bait hook and gap. It might not be as strong as the circle hook, but it hasn't straightened out yet. I'm also using light tackle and backreel on large bass or picks to prevent tearing the hook out.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.