Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-12, 12:08 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Fluorocarbon, braid, or other?

Going to be getting a new combo come labor day, and am trying to decide what kind of line to get for it. It will mostly likely be a Dobyans Champ 734, (7'3" H) and Gen3 Revo STX.

I'm not sure what I'll use this rod for, but I wanna use for anything I can get away with. Larger senkos, jigs for sure, heavy texas rigs, big spinnerbaits, Lipless cranks (?), large topwater (?), smaller swimbaits, etc.

The lakes I fish have some pretty serious grass in them, so the cover is definitely heavy. I think I'm learning toward braid, but I'm sure due to the fact that it doesn't transmit bites on slack line well due to it's low density, and I if I use senkos, that a big no no.

Would going to a denser braid like 832, fluorobraid, or new sunline SX1 help alleviate that?

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 07-15-12, 01:02 PM   #2
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'll use this rod for, but I wanna use for anything I can get away with. Larger senkos, jigs for sure, heavy texas rigs, big spinnerbaits, Lipless cranks (?), large topwater (?), smaller swimbaits, etc.
If you take away the "large topwater" option, you've got a perfect heavy cover setup for all the others you've got listed. I'd say rig it with 17 to 20lb flouro and rock on. My personal choice is Seguar.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 01:07 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a 734C and it is a very nice rod, great balance, good sensitivity,and nice componets. The 734C is Heavy/Fast, it fishes senkos, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, T-rigs, and other contact type baits well. I would look at the 704CB and 705CB for your topwater and lipless. Spool it with a good quality FC and you will be in business.

Last edited by Tavery5; 07-15-12 at 01:21 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 01:13 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If you take away the "large topwater" option, you've got a perfect heavy cover setup for all the others you've got listed. I'd say rig it with 17 to 20lb flouro and rock on. My personal choice is Seguar.
I agree. That rod would probably wear you out if you were walking or popping topwater baits. Like lowrider I would go with flourocarbon, personally I use 15lb Seaguar AbrazX for jigs and Texas rigs and love it.
Old 07-15-12, 03:33 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Forget the topwaters and spool up with Sunline Super FC (blue box) in 16lb test. I've actually used the 12lb on my jigs rod in light cover with great success. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite FC's and it's reasonably priced too!

I tend to use braid and mono only when I need to. Braid for frogs, topwaters, super heavy cover, spinning reels. Mono for topwaters and crankbaits (and even the latter is tending towards FC or copoly line slike Floroclear. FC is definitely my go to line for almost all applications and pretty much anything Sunline and Seaguar make will be a good choice.

BB
Old 07-15-12, 03:36 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I have a 734C and it is a very nice rod, great balance, good sensitivity,and nice componets. The 734C is Heavy/Fast, it fishes senkos, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, T-rigs, and other contact type baits well. I would look at the 704CB and 705CB for your topwater and lipless. Spool it with a good quality FC and you will be in business.
I agree with your rod recommendations. I live the Champion 73X line for spinnerbaits and jerkbaits, but not as well for other reaction baits. The 765CB Glass is an AMAZING lipless crankbait rod. I can throw an Xr50 almost farther than I can set the hook on it. Definitely go 705CB for a general purpose cranking rod though, the 704CB might be a little light.

BB
Old 07-15-12, 04:51 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I agree with your rod recommendations. I live the Champion 73X line for spinnerbaits and jerkbaits, but not as well for other reaction baits. The 765CB Glass is an AMAZING lipless crankbait rod. I can throw an Xr50 almost farther than I can set the hook on it. Definitely go 705CB for a general purpose cranking rod though, the 704CB might be a little light.

BB

I have not had the chance to check out the 765CB yet, but I would have to think it would be fantastic, I love the 705 and 805.
Old 07-15-12, 04:55 PM   #8
Bassboss

Thanks guys! Now, just to decide on what kinda fluorocarbon to get. hmmm AbrazX, or Shooter, or Sniper. Hmmm
Old 07-15-12, 05:10 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks guys! Now, just to decide on what kinda fluorocarbon to get. hmmm AbrazX, or Shooter, or Sniper. Hmmm

Best I have used so far is Tatsu, did have one break off in the spool after a backlash that I did not think was too severe, but other than that and the cost, fantastic line.
Old 07-15-12, 08:40 PM   #10
rrw4258

Definetly go with the Sunline Sniper. IMO much better than the super blue box from sunline. The line casts so good on a casting reel that it is like throwing a mono. But shooter is by far the toughest line I have thrown. It does tend to fluff a little on the cast, but not bad by any means, and KVD L&L treats it great and makes it throw like a dream.

Ryan
Old 07-15-12, 10:23 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Definetly go with the Sunline Sniper. IMO much better than the super blue box from sunline. The line casts so good on a casting reel that it is like throwing a mono. But shooter is by far the toughest line I have thrown. It does tend to fluff a little on the cast, but not bad by any means, and KVD L&L treats it great and makes it throw like a dream.

Ryan
I haven't tried the Sniper on a casting reel yet, but was impressed with that 7lb I picked up the other day for smallie fishing up north. I guess I'll need to pick up another spool.

BB
Old 07-15-12, 10:40 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:

Ryan
So would saying CX is to Sniper as CXX is to shooter? I usually like a tougher, ballsier line.

Which would you say is the more sensitive line Ryan?

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-15-12 at 10:53 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 07:27 AM   #13
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
So would saying CX is to Sniper as CXX is to shooter? I usually like a tougher, ballsier line.

Which would you say is the more sensitive line Ryan?
Shooter definetly has less stretch than Sniper, but they both are extremly sensitive lines. You can really feel the taps or bites on a slack line. If I were you I would fish Sniper. It holds up really well in the zebra mussels around here, and it is far less expensive. For Shooter you would pay $35 for 164 yds of 14 lb. or less and 109 yds of 16 lbs. and up. That is some really pricey stuff. With Sniper in bulk spools you can get 660 yards for $50-60.
Old 07-16-12, 02:14 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Shooter definetly has less stretch than Sniper, but they both are extremly sensitive lines. You can really feel the taps or bites on a slack line. If I were you I would fish Sniper. It holds up really well in the zebra mussels around here, and it is far less expensive. For Shooter you would pay $35 for 164 yds of 14 lb. or less and 109 yds of 16 lbs. and up. That is some really pricey stuff. With Sniper in bulk spools you can get 660 yards for $50-60.
Aww shoot... curse my unfamiliar with sunline products! I meant Super not Shooter, Ryan. lol Thanks though.
Old 07-16-12, 08:10 PM   #15
BigBassin144

From my limited experience with the two series of lines (and it may be unfair to compare 7lb Sniper on a spinning reel to 12lb Super on a casting reel), I would use this as a better analogy:

Super is to CXX as Sniper is to Floroclear.

I have to say, out of the box, the Sniper is extremely limp with nearly no memory. Fished very much like a good mono.

BB
Old 07-16-12, 09:26 PM   #16
rrw4258

Super (blue box) is a good line if you are on a budget. I have fished it a few times with 14 and 16 lb. test, and with both spools, I was having issues with the line breaking right between the first guide and the reel, on several different rods with different spools of line. Their customer service was great and they replaced it with Shooter for me. Super is not the best casting out their on the market, as it's diamter is larger than the comparable lb. test of Sniper and Shooter.

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.