Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-12, 04:53 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default topwater line and lure size

first whats yall fav topwater line, i just spooled up wit hthe 12 lb suffix elite camo, dont like it, dont know if it because it have been sitting at the store forever, anyway, whats your favorite, id like to stick to mono, if you use braid tell me why..

also my setup is okuma krios on a JM carbonlite 6'6 MF rod, its max weight is 5/8,does most of my poppers and skeeter pops fine, i have a few medium size, spooks, jittebug, sammies and kvd dawgs, not sure of the oz. and the boxes are long gone. when practicing casting, they weigh a bit and bend my rod aswell, I havnt hooked any fish with the sopok type baits, so i dont how my rod will fair, i love this setup and was just wondering if it would be ok to continiue to throw them,
Old 06-17-12, 06:31 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use braid for frogs, it works well in pads, grass, buckbrush, weeds, cattails, laydowns, alot of the areas where you will want to throw a frog. It is also a low stretch line so you can get a better hookset when you have a lot of line out. I use P-line CX for most of the other top water baits, it has less stretch than mono and better abrasion resistance IMO.

A med power rod is a little light to fish topwater baits over grass or in cover, may be fine in open water, just depends on what your doing. I prefer rods with a F or EF action for topwater baits, makes it easier to impart the proper action on the bait, again IMO.
Old 06-17-12, 07:54 PM   #3
Marty

I've done OK in fairly heavy cover with Medium power rods. But as to your question I'd use the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 10:34 PM   #4
wallywallace

All right, yea Tav I got braid on my frog rod, yea it ain't broke but I am paranoid, if it bills or gas, all my cash is being saved for a sexy frog rod bubba is making me. So I was worried that my carbonlite may be overloading, froggin and TW is my 2 fav types, well top water all around lol
Old 06-17-12, 11:13 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Topwater baits like poppers I do like braid with about 3' of flurocarbon leader. I haven't used mono in years, I've gotten away from it and now prefer a co-polymer line for most of my fishing.

I actually tried braid for poppers the first time at Dale Hollow in May. It worked very well with about a 3' flurocarbon leader (the only thing, IMO, that it's good for). I fished them on a 6'9" M/m crankbait rod.

Normally I would fish them on co-poly line, which I use for most applications. But I had respooled most of my rods with flurocarbon (even though I don't like the stuff) for the Dale Hollow trip. After just one day, my dislike (hatred actually) of F/c had me re-spooling and getting rid of it (again, but for the last time). I wanted something to give me good castability so I tried 20# braid w/10# f/c leader and I liked the way it produced. As braid floats, it seems to help when used with the poppers and I think I'll stick with it.

Frog (hollow body) fishing, I definitely believe braid is the only way to fish them. 50#, no leader on a 7'6" heavy rod. Buzz frogs, I use a MH/f
7'0" rod with 15# co-poly.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 11:27 PM   #6
Jrob78

I usually fish poppers and Sammy 85 size walkers on a medium rod with 12lb Pline CX. I fish Sammy 100's and other larger topwaters on a mh rod with 12 lb CX. One of the problems with using braid and treble hooked topwater baits is the hooks will often get tangled around the line on the cast. (Which is why boogie's fluoro leader works so well) Sufix Elite would be my mono of choice but I really don't use regular mono for anything anymore. I like copoly better.

I fish hollow body frogs on a 7'6" HF rod with 50lb braid, Sufix PB at the moment. I use a loop knot on pretty much all of my topwaters now.

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-18-12 at 12:15 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 09:08 AM   #7
wallywallace

all right and i was only meaning your topwater lure rod, i have heard about the P-line cx, enough on hear i might try it, i will grab some next time i am out, i just cant leave mono on my crankbaits though, helps em float.. also dos the P-line stretch, never use a co-poly before, easy to manage, etc.....
Old 06-18-12, 10:44 AM   #8
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been using 14lb Sunline Machinegun Cast for my top water, like sammies, pop-Rs, and wake baits, and I've like it. It does have more memory than I expected, but it casts very well, and lower stretch than any other co-polymer line I've used so far.
But I prefer braid when fishing lakes with lots of timber and lily pads, esp. when fishing buzz baits and frogs.
Seems like the more I fish the more specialized I become....
Old 06-18-12, 01:41 PM   #9
wallywallace

thanks guys, i love braid, i have become quite fond of it, it feels weird when back to using "old" mono, lol
Old 07-05-12, 05:03 PM   #10
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I prefer braid for hollow body and swimming frogs. Mainly because I like to throw frogs near brush and heavy cover. When the bass takes the frog under I want a solid hook set (no stretch) to be able to hook him and then yank him out of there. If he happens to run through the brush and cover that braid will hold up and not fray and snap like mono. However, when I know I’ll be fishing open water I may go ahead and use one of my mono setups if I don’t have my frogging rig with me.

Here’s what I mainly use for Topwater / Frogging (baitcasters):

Reel: Johnny Morris Carbon Black, 7.1 ratio
Rod: 7’3” MH Abu Garcia Vendetta
Line: 50lb Power Pro Braid

Reel: Johnny Morris Elite Series, 6.4 ratio
Rod: 6’9” MH Johnny Morris Carbonlite Micro Guides
Line: 15lb P-Line CX Premium
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 10:20 PM   #11
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

I use 12lb mono for my poppers, jitterbugs, spooks etc. I use 50lb braid for frogs.
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 04:44 PM   #12
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For frogs, it's 50# Sufix Performance braid. For most of my topwater baits, I like a good copoly. Right now I am using Pline 15 pound Flouroclear. It has a very low memory and is a very nice casting line. I like a heavier line for topwaters. I'm usualy working them around cover, and it has no drawbacks. The Flouroclear is also a very narrow diameter. For buzz baits and large topwater like the larger versions of the Spook and Jitterbug, I prefer 17 pound line. Flouroclear is not availabe in 17 pound so for now, I'm using the Siege line. This is the second year using it for me and so far I've been happy with it. I considered the Pline CXX but heard a lot of conflicting reports about it. Some guys like it while many others said it had issues with memory. I havn't had any memory issues with the Siege line, although I would prefer a copoly line in 17 pound.
Old 07-08-12, 10:44 AM   #13
wallywallace

picked up some Pline... will put on when i need new line
Old 07-08-12, 09:54 PM   #14
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use plane old Trilene XL for topwaters, but have no problem throwing P-Line Floroclear either-that is all I use for non-topwater mono applications. 50 Lb Powerpro for frogs-usually fishing those in heavy cover.

I use a M action rod for all treble hook baits except big bruisers like a DD-22 and have no complaints.
Old 07-18-12, 04:52 PM   #15
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
I've been using 14lb Sunline Machinegun Cast for my top water, like sammies, pop-Rs, and wake baits, and I've like it. It does have more memory than I expected, but it casts very well, and lower stretch than any other co-polymer line I've used so far.
But I prefer braid when fishing lakes with lots of timber and lily pads, esp. when fishing buzz baits and frogs.
Seems like the more I fish the more specialized I become....
Been having issues with the Sunline Machinegun, so thought I'd mention it just in case someone else considers getting this line. Line memory has still been an issue, but then I had a Sammy 100 break off on the cast, twice. Luckily the lure landed in the water so I could retrieve it, not high up in a tree.And then had a sammy break off with two smallies on at the same time. I saw the bigger one break free, and then the other ducked under a rock, never saw it again. Feel bad about leaving a lure in a basses lips. Switched over to McCoy Xtra clear, and problem solved.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.