Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-10, 09:44 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by secure111 View Post
Ok I see what you and the poster were saying.....
Personally I use the Wright & Mcgill Tessera's and have never had any problems out of them or noticed any major defects but I can understand they are arent hand poured and rolled on the thighs of cuban virgins so they arent top of the line but in my experience they get the job done.
No one said they didn't get the job done. And of course they aren't top of the line. they weren't meant to be. They were meant to be exactly what they are: an inexpensive rod.

BB
Old 11-21-10, 10:37 PM   #27
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secure111 View Post
hand poured and rolled on the thighs of cuban virgins.
If there is any rod company making rods this way, I want in.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 02:16 PM   #28
Ebbetsguy

I don't care at all.. All my rods cost well under 100 bucks and I catch my share of fish and have a whole lot of fun.
If I were to worry and concern myself as much as most here do over equipment,I would have to find another hobby, as it would make me more tense than real life.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 08:42 AM   #29
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

Default hunter34

due to budget constraints I ude only berkley lightning and cherry wood and I catch a lot of bass may be thats because I,ve been catchen em
for 65 years
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 12:10 PM   #30
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

hunter34 my very first graphite was a Lightning rod, may have been even the first one's they came out with.
At the time they were spendy...to me anyways. I was like 12 or 13. Fell in love with 'quality' rods. My fun increased 10 fold and the monkey and I have been friends ever since.
Finally broke on a hook set like a year or two ago.
Old 07-17-12, 04:48 PM   #31
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My first concern when I buy a rod is how cheap can I buy it. Then I look for defects. I have never bought a rod so far that has any issues before I used it. I have Kistlers, Loomis, St Croix. and others. I might look at a dozen or maybe the first one I pick up has no issues. I have bought by mail order, e-bay, traded. I am not anal about rods but look mostly for the guides and tip to be straight. I did buy a St Croix Triumph spinning rod that had a defective reel seat. I didn't know it was bad till i used it. A buddy bought if from me so I didn't have to go through the bother of returning it. He didn't mind putting tape on it. Other than that I guess I've been lucky.
Old 07-17-12, 08:50 PM   #32
BigBassin144

Another of my old threads resurrected... Well, since it's here, might as well post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
My first concern when I buy a rod is how cheap can I buy it. Then I look for defects. I have never bought a rod so far that has any issues before I used it. I have Kistlers, Loomis, St Croix. and others. I might look at a dozen or maybe the first one I pick up has no issues. I have bought by mail order, e-bay, traded. I am not anal about rods but look mostly for the guides and tip to be straight. I did buy a St Croix Triumph spinning rod that had a defective reel seat. I didn't know it was bad till i used it. A buddy bought if from me so I didn't have to go through the bother of returning it. He didn't mind putting tape on it. Other than that I guess I've been lucky.
I seldom buy rods at retail stores because I can usually get a better price online. With retailers like TW, I never worry. If I'm not happy, I'm confident TW will swap it out.

This spring, I bought a Falcon Cara Micro in Cabela's bargain cave. Brand new with a broken guide. I didn't see anything else wrong with the rod, but after taking it to Jann's Netcraft for a new guide, one of the guys let me know how bad the epoxy was on the guide he removed and all the rest. I took a closer look and saw that every guide didn't have enough epoxy and had nearly bare thread. Not a big deal to me, I got it for a great price and have a rod dryer in the basement. Whenever I get around to it, I'll add a bit more to them.

However, had I bought this rod new off the rack, or ordered online, I would have taken it back for a new one.

With eBay, you can get some good deals, but there's always the risk of something being wrong.

BB
Old 07-17-12, 09:03 PM   #33
keithdog

I really think the whole point of this post is about the lack of pride of craftsman anymore. But from what I have seen, it's mainly the mass produced companies you'll see this with. Whether were talking rods or patio furniture. If you buy a rod from an individual craftsman like Walker and Garey, rest assured your going to be happy with your product. If you buy a jig from Anthony you'll appreciate his quality. Guys like this do what they do because they love what they do and are proud of the products they make. But in mass production where someone is getting paid by the piece, or hourly and just wanting to get in their 8 hours, or whateveer it may be overseas, you are bound to find flaws. I'm sure they are not closely inspected before shipping. It's a shame, but it's the world we live in today. There just isn't much pride in what most people do anymore. Most of my rods run between $90.00 and $170.00. So far I havn't had any serious issues. But they have performed very well and I've had a lot of fun using them. But if I ever choose to spend BIG money on a rod, it will be custom made. Thats a guarantee!
Old 07-18-12, 04:31 AM   #34
Hoosier

I Agree 100% on the reese rods i have a friend that has a 7-2 jig/worm poll and the rod is actually way off at the tips looks like the tried to build a poll with corkscrew eyelets. I personally use Mojos almost exclusively. St Croix is a great company in my opinion but in this day and age the old saying they dont build them like they use to is absolutely true.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 09:17 AM   #35
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I Agree 100% on the reese rods i have a friend that has a 7-2 jig/worm poll and the rod is actually way off at the tips looks like the tried to build a poll with corkscrew eyelets. I personally use Mojos almost exclusively. St Croix is a great company in my opinion but in this day and age the old saying they dont build them like they use to is absolutely true.
From their budget rods up to the top of the line, Croix builds one of the best crafted rods on the market.

The Mojo's definitely have a few issues, but that's what happens in the value rod range. However, most I have seen have been quite consistent and generally better built than many other $100 rods. And looking over their Legend Xtreme or Elite lines, I have seen some nearly flawless builds.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.