Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-25-12, 01:07 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Braid W/ Flouro leader help

So Friday night I spent the evening re-spooling a couple of reels (both with braid and a flouro leader).

I noticed on both reels the flouro was digging into the braid and this will end with somewhat of a horror story and maybe a good laugh for some. I was p!$$ed after it happened.

Reel 1- Baitcaster (Curado E7) with a mono backing, 40lb Sufix performance braid and 20lb flouro leader (Sunline Super FC sniper).

Reel 2- Spinning reel with Sufix 832 10lb braid and 8lb Sunline Super FC Sniper.

Both spools were treated to an application of KVD's line and lure conditioner.

The only issue I ran into with the spinning reel (besides horrible line twist and the line jumping off the spool) was the flouro digging into the braid. I'm about done with spinning gear, all I use it for is drop shot and shaky heads. I think I can find me a baitcasting combo that will cover down on the same thing.

For the spinning set up before it is even asked; yes, the line was put on correctly (i.e. taken off the spool the same direction the reel spins).

Here's where the nightmare occurred; on the baitcaster, due to having 3 line types spliced together I took extra precautions to ensure that the line laid flat, was even and not to loose or to tight.

I was throwing a 1/2 oz Dirty Jigs CA swim jig with a Roboworm EZ shad as a trailer (I was hog hunting in hopes of the big bass feeding on trout due to the recent stock in the lake I was fishing).

Anyways, throughout the day I didn't have a problem one with this setup. Casting was smooth, no line memory, no birds nest...nothing. Then on one cast I felt my rod get really light, heard that noise that we all dread (the sounds of a birds nest occurring). I look down and BAM! The flouro on my rod was in a horrible mess, my brand new and I mean brand new baits are GONE! To shorten the story I had to strip almost 100-125 yards of the braid off just to get all the flouro out from underneath.

As I was sitting there laughing (out of anger), cussing and cutting the flouro out I personally believe the cause of this nightmare was due to the fact the flouro had at one point dug deep into the braid.

Like I said initially I noticed it was happening and would strip the flouro off to get it out of the braid and life seemed to be good.

So, with all that said how I do keep the flouro from digging into the braid? Fortunately I didn't lose a lot of flouro and I was able to salvage the braid.

Thanks...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 01:24 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Can you verify the backlash caused the line to break, losing your lure and that it didn't happen the other way around. FC, especially high test FC, can be fickle when tying knots. Give it a bit too much enthusiasm on the cast, there goes the knot and here comes the backlash.

How much FC are you using for a leader? I usually keep it around 3' and tie a new leader once it gets too short (less than 1'). I don't like to have the knot running through my guides, and especially up onto my reel.

It's very likely the knot could have caught on the braid. I don't think you'd have much digging problems with 20lb FC on 40lb braid, unless the braid was very loose (which is unlikely, fishing a heavy lure with a lot of resistance).

Just make sure you use enough pressure when spooling braid. I'll fill my braid reels a hair fuller than I want, tie a slip knot over my trailer hitch, walk down my driveway, and reel it back in applying pressure with the rod.

BB
Old 11-26-12, 01:35 AM   #3
USMCbassman

You have thinking with your FC leader question....I think I had to much of a FC leader on there. I was well beyond 3' in length, hence the digging. As I was fishing the braid never even left the spool and the entire time I was thinking to myself, "this setup doesn't make sense, the braid isn't leaving the spool, so what good is it doing me?" I had some cross thinking while spooling for putting that much on there (I was going to be fishing deep and thought I needed it).

I think you solved my problem with a question. Thanks BB

I feel like a jack@$$ now, but we all make mistakes and learning has occurred! Shorter FC leader next time!
Old 11-26-12, 08:57 AM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
You have thinking with your FC leader question....I think I had to much of a FC leader on there. I was well beyond 3' in length, hence the digging. As I was fishing the braid never even left the spool and the entire time I was thinking to myself, "this setup doesn't make sense, the braid isn't leaving the spool, so what good is it doing me?" I had some cross thinking while spooling for putting that much on there (I was going to be fishing deep and thought I needed it).

I feel like a jack@$$ now, but we all make mistakes and learning has occurred! Shorter FC leader next time!
Dang Shane. Don't feel bad, we've ALL done stuff we regret. At least you're young. I've been doing this since before you were born but.........
10 years ago I decided to give braid a try. Tied it on the spool of a brand new baitcaster with the same little knot I'd been using with mono for decades. Tied on a deep diver and took off for my favorite honey hole. Within 15 minutes I hooked a heavy fish which proceeded to spool me despite my drag being locked tight and me reeling furiously. I ended up handlining the fish in. I storm into the store where I bought the reel Demanding a refund

Reading your story it does tickle me to picture someone making a LONG cast with a 1/2 jig, looking down at the reel and still have the "leader" on the spool.................priceless.............Than ks

Of course I should have known this was going to be a fun post as soon as I read the first part..."You have thinking with your FC leader question"....My mind jumped to the Josey Wales/Running Bear convo.........."There is Iron in your words of Life"
Old 11-26-12, 09:13 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:

No problem; and don't feel bad about it.

As far as length of the leader goes, I favor the shorter side. Some guys will use around 6-8' or so. That way they don't have to retie as often. But I personally don't like the knot going through the guides, so I use a leader I can keep past the tip of the rod (or maybe up a few guides) and still cast.

That said, I rarely use a leader. Most of my fishing is done with straight FC. On the couple rods I do use braid on, I don't often use a leader. I'm either fishing frogs, or pitching jigs/plastics in very muddy or weedy water.

BB
Old 11-26-12, 03:43 PM   #6
USMCbassman

KDS- glad I could make you laugh. Like I said it wasn't registering with me. I seriously thought to myself multiple times, "what in the world does this braid do for me still on the spool!"

Shorter leader, shorter leader, shorter leader!

BB- I'm using the leader for swimbait/swim jigs scenarios. And after I lost a monster a week or so ago I'd read/seen about it on DS rigs so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not done with them yet....I'll reset and try it again.

I, too, had only used straight braid or straight FC. I think it'll pay off more on my spinning gear as braid doesn't seem to jump off the spool like light FC does. Trial and error will only tell though.
Old 11-26-12, 06:25 PM   #7
Dogmatic

You got your answer, my "general" rule is to use a length of leader equal to the length of rod. I have never had problems with my knot passing through the eyes. I do believe though that the backlash occurred due to the cast off, not the other way around. I have done it many times using my big swimbaits.(I switched to mono).
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-12, 03:13 PM   #8
dhaddix
BassFishin.Com Member

USMCbassman,

I too have used braided line with fluorocarbon leaders at different times, and I can tell you that I had extensive problems with the leader and the braid until I went to attaching the lines with a modified albright knot (also called an alberto knot I believe, you can google it). It makes for the smallest knot I know of when connecting the lines, and you will have no problem with the knot going through the eyes of your rod unless you are using micro-guides, in which case I have no experience. I can tell you that this knot is ridiculously strong when properly tied, however.

It is also my opinion that leader length is somewhat crucial in the respect that I don't like for my leader line to ever be long enough to lay on the spool. If you use the knot mentioned above, you can easily have a 6' leader where the knot will pass through the eyes of your rod easily.

Hope this helps, just my opinion based on personal evidence. I am sure there are others on here that can shed more light on the subject.
dhaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 10:02 PM   #9
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

I use straight fluro at El Cap/Otay with spinning gear. I can't feel bite with light weights, so I'm going to go with heavier weights. I still throw straight braid with swimbaits(they cost too much to lose), but I'm going to try the fluro/braid with jigs and beavs. Will use all braid for tullies.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 12:55 AM   #10
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I use straight fluro at El Cap/Otay with spinning gear. I can't feel bite with light weights, so I'm going to go with heavier weights. I still throw straight braid with swimbaits(they cost too much to lose), but I'm going to try the fluro/braid with jigs and beavs. Will use all braid for tullies.

I was using straight braid or straight flouro at Poway (I've never fished El Cap/Otay- I don't have a boat), but I thought I'd give this a shot at Poway with a swim jig and roboworm ez shad.

I will continue to use straight braid for the tullies and other applications. I caught a dink on my spinning setup with the flouro/braid setup and felt the bite just fine. I'll give it a few more go's before I make an ultimatum on whether to keep it or not.

I just got a bunch of swim baits in and once I get my rod and reel for it I'll have to make the choice there on which way I want to go.
Old 12-04-12, 11:59 AM   #11
Dogmatic

Quote:
I just got a bunch of swim baits in and once I get my rod and reel for it I'll have to make the choice there on which way I want to go.
I don't know what kind of swimbaits you're using, but I hate to say it, because I really hate it, but Mono, is the best for big swim baits(or copoly), the stretch helps with cast offs, and keeps from ripping those big trebles out, just my opinion. I do use braid for smaller baits.
Old 12-04-12, 02:44 PM   #12
USMCbassman

Dog- They are the Reaction Strike 6 and 8 inch bass harasser swimbaits. Mono was a choice (braid, mono or flouro were all choices). I was just going to experiment and see what works best for me. I've read a lot where mono seems to be a choice of many.
Old 12-04-12, 03:23 PM   #13
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

At $35 a pop, I would stick one line. I could see heavy fluro at Otay, but I would use braid everywhere else. The muscles just eat too much line.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 04:29 PM   #14
USMCbassman

Ah, I forget about the muscles. Poway and the lakes on Camp Pendleton don't have them. I'd use straight braid at DVL just because of all the rocks. I'm not expecting a lot out of these baits after the reviews and what I paid for them, but for the price I couldn't pass them up and if I lost one I wouldn't be completely heart broken.
Old 12-04-12, 04:54 PM   #15
Dogmatic

I use Big Game(its cheap) 20# and 30#, and retie often, respool every other week in season. Nasty rocks or muscles you might want to consider something more durable. As for swimbaits, I started with Bass Harassers, but have since moved on to other quality brands. The Reaction Strikes do catch fish though, and the tigers and northerns loved chomping on them, thus I have no more.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.