Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-09, 10:11 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default BPS CarbonLite Rods?

Check out this new rod from BPS the CarbonLite? It looks amazing. Could it be a rod that's has amazing value for a small price tag? (100 bucks or the 6'9"). It bosts about how it "Far exceeds current technology in rod design," and a 85 million modulus graphite (equivalent to IM9).

Anyway, looks nice... what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-12-09 at 06:27 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 04:29 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think your link doesn't work.

Or maybe it's just me.

BB
Old 12-12-09, 06:25 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think your link doesn't work.

Or maybe it's just me.

BB
Well udda know!

I'll fix that!
Old 12-12-09, 08:15 PM   #4
keithdog

Wow, thats an interresting rod. I have to check that one out this next spring. I'm lookin into a new pitchin rod. I only wish it was available in 7Ft heavy with fast action instead of XF action. Also I've never used a rod with split grips like that. Not sure if I would like them or not.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:30 AM   #5
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm also going to check it out. Thanks Bassboss.
Old 12-13-09, 10:13 AM   #6
BigBassin144

This rod has definately sparked my interest. way to go BPS on getting rid of that crappy power hump grip for this rod, lol. I'll have to check these out when I go.

BB
Old 12-13-09, 07:29 PM   #7
CMorg

Wow, that is a pretty nice sounding rod.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 10:49 AM   #8
Bassboss

A few folks from tackle tour hav e checked 'em out. They say they're really light, and the handle has a unique feel to it. No reveiws yet.
Old 12-16-09, 11:23 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

They did x-wrap handles?....Kind of a strange twist on a bass rod.
I like it though....And Pacific Bay make great components.
Bass Pro did good with this rod,I agree.....For $100 bucks that should be a killer stick.
Its almost like theres gotta be a catch hidden in there somewhere..
Or it just goes to show that you dont have to pay $200+ for an awesome rod

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-16-09 at 11:40 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 11:46 AM   #10
MIbasser

Well, here is my 0.02 on the rod. I've seen it now at two different stores (one only had spinning rods) and my very first thought when I picked up the rod is "way over priced". Now, is it light - yes very light, does it look very cheap - yes. Would I ever think of buying it - no. Now that is just my opinion. I can see this rod for $69.99 in a couple of months when they have their spring sale. I would rather save a little and buy a St. Croix Mojo or spend a little more and get a Powell.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 06:15 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

Speaking of the St croix Mojo rods they are on sale in store at BPS for 89.99
Old 12-16-09, 06:25 PM   #12
islandbass

TN,

Isn't their regular price $90? I could be mistaken.

Last edited by islandbass; 12-16-09 at 07:58 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 06:27 PM   #13
TN_Bassin

99.99 was the last time i saw them, and i have seen them online for 130

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/mojo-bass

Says on St Croix site that they retail 100+ and up

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 12-16-09 at 06:31 PM. Reason: More Information
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 07:07 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

The Mojo is $90 everywhere Ive seen,unless they've gone up?
Old 12-16-09, 07:58 PM   #15
islandbass

Thanks! Looks like they went up in price about $10
Old 12-16-09, 09:29 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks! Looks like they went up in price about $10
Ya, looks like the longer ones went up to 120.
Old 12-17-09, 03:27 AM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Ya, looks like the longer ones went up to 120.
Wow. For their feel in my hands, $90 was pushing it for me. No way Jose for $120.00. The Vendetta casting rods felt better in my hand. I know it's a subjective thing, but it's my 2 cents.
Old 12-17-09, 08:23 AM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Wow. For their feel in my hands, $90 was pushing it for me. No way Jose for $120.00. The Vendetta casting rods felt better in my hand. I know it's a subjective thing, but it's my 2 cents.

So you've checked 'em out than? Cool! Good to know you like the vendetta!
Old 12-22-09, 09:20 AM   #19
BigBassin144

I went to BPS Sunday. Now, my BPS (and I assume all the other are like this too) had racks and racks of their rods, and only a few racks of other rods. So I was shocked when they didn't have the new Carbon Lite rods. What I did notice (which was quite hard to) was these bright yellow sticks (right next to the carrot sticks I might add). So I had to go and take a look at the new Tessera Rods.

For the Price, they were nice, and the color combo scored extra points from me. I liked the handle material, but was interested in how it would perform when wet. It seemed like it would be slippery because it was somewhat rubbery. They were balanced pretty nicely, but I'd love to slap the SR Revo on there to see how it feels.

Then (while I was being dragged away from the rods), I noticed the new Vendetta rods on a rod rack in the middle of an aisle (thanks a lot BPS). IMO and from feel alone, these rods are much nicer! Although they lack the yellow... lets call them "highlights" of the Tessera rods, these look amazing. I would have thought it was a $400 straight out of Japan. Like all the "Value Market" rods, I found them a bit tip heavy, but not bad. If I was in the market for a new Value Market rod, I'd have asked to put a revo on it to test Abu's "factory balanced" claim.

BB
Old 12-22-09, 09:29 AM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
I went to BPS Sunday. Now, my BPS (and I assume all the other are like this too) had racks and racks of their rods, and only a few racks of other rods. So I was shocked when they didn't have the new Carbon Lite rods. What I did notice (which was quite hard to) was these bright yellow sticks (right next to the carrot sticks I might add). So I had to go and take a look at the new Tessera Rods.

For the Price, they were nice, and the color combo scored extra points from me. I liked the handle material, but was interested in how it would perform when wet. It seemed like it would be slippery because it was somewhat rubbery. They were balanced pretty nicely, but I'd love to slap the SR Revo on there to see how it feels.

Then (while I was being dragged away from the rods), I noticed the new Vendetta rods on a rod rack in the middle of an aisle (thanks a lot BPS). IMO and from feel alone, these rods are much nicer! Although they lack the yellow... lets call them "highlights" of the Tessera rods, these look amazing. I would have thought it was a $400 straight out of Japan. Like all the "Value Market" rods, I found them a bit tip heavy, but not bad. If I was in the market for a new Value Market rod, I'd have asked to put a revo on it to test Abu's "factory balanced" claim.

BB
Wow! Thanks a lot BigB! I've been checking out the SR rods every time I go to gander, and man they feel great! I have not had the chance to handle them yet, (gander does not have them in stock yet ).

And are the vendettas lighter than the Reese rods?
Old 12-27-09, 02:33 AM   #21
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I saw for the first time and bought a Carbonlite 7'6" MHF rod today.

I have the 7.5 foot Mojo and while I like it, I wanted a lighter, more sensitive flipping stick. I have been researching since last August at least trying find the rod that suited me best.
I'm not sure what the Carbonlite weighs but I can tell you it weighs much less than my 5.3oz 7.5 Mojo and also weighs less than the 6.65oz Skeet Reese rod(I had to call Wright McGill for the weight). I couldn't tell tell the weight diff between the Crabonlite and the Carrotstix rod of the same length/action.
The 85 million mod blank was sensitive enough that when I put a reel on it and dangled a line, my kid could easily feel me tap the hanging line. I love the two piece reel seat as it allows me to place my third and fourth finger directly on the blank as I pinch the line coming out of the reel with my thumb and index finger. I will say i dont mind how the foam grip feels but this is the first foam gripped rod I have owned since like 1990 or so.

Although the rod is balanced better than anything I have ever felt, I also bought a weight balance kit to lighten the tip even more. I will have to put a couple quarters under the cap as even one of the supplied lead weights was too much and made the rod back heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mojo and I do handle the Skeet rod every time I go to BPS...I just like the feel of the Carbonlite more. My club will be going to some bigger waters this year and I may decide then that I need an 8 footer but, around southwest Ohio...7.5 is more than plenty.
I wont be able to give a better review for a few months but, until then I will just spend a lot of time flipping and pitching in the barn.

Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 09:14 AM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
I saw for the first time and bought a Carbonlite 7'6" MHF rod today.

I have the 7.5 foot Mojo and while I like it, I wanted a lighter, more sensitive flipping stick. I have been researching since last August at least trying find the rod that suited me best.
I'm not sure what the Carbonlite weighs but I can tell you it weighs much less than my 5.3oz 7.5 Mojo and also weighs less than the 6.65oz Skeet Reese rod(I had to call Wright McGill for the weight). I couldn't tell tell the weight diff between the Crabonlite and the Carrotstix rod of the same length/action.
The 85 million mod blank was sensitive enough that when I put a reel on it and dangled a line, my kid could easily feel me tap the hanging line. I love the two piece reel seat as it allows me to place my third and fourth finger directly on the blank as I pinch the line coming out of the reel with my thumb and index finger. I will say i dont mind how the foam grip feels but this is the first foam gripped rod I have owned since like 1990 or so.

Although the rod is balanced better than anything I have ever felt, I also bought a weight balance kit to lighten the tip even more. I will have to put a couple quarters under the cap as even one of the supplied lead weights was too much and made the rod back heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mojo and I do handle the Skeet rod every time I go to BPS...I just like the feel of the Carbonlite more. My club will be going to some bigger waters this year and I may decide then that I need an 8 footer but, around southwest Ohio...7.5 is more than plenty.
I wont be able to give a better review for a few months but, until then I will just spend a lot of time flipping and pitching in the barn.

Ron
Cool ron! I was at BPS yesterday too and checked 'em out! They here pretty nice, but nothing really that memorable... that's just me though.
Old 12-30-09, 08:15 AM   #23
rrw4258

Well, checked out all the new rods at BPS in Rossford yesterday, the Carbonlite rods feel very cheap to me, I would not buy them. The Skeet rods were impressive and I am considering one, but the colors will probably keep me thinking about it. The Vendetta was a very nice feeling rod, the best out of the three mentioned earlier. For the money the vendetta is the rod I would buy.

On another note, was looking at clearance yesterday at the BPS in Rossford and found a 7' 0" MH Casting BPS Extreme Rod for $39! Monkey told me to buy it and I agreed with him (although he told me to buy another $150 worth too, so i did!)

Ryan
Old 12-30-09, 09:48 AM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Well, checked out all the new rods at BPS in Rossford yesterday, the Carbonlite rods feel very cheap to me, I would not buy them. The Skeet rods were impressive and I am considering one, but the colors will probably keep me thinking about it. The Vendetta was a very nice feeling rod, the best out of the three mentioned earlier. For the money the vendetta is the rod I would buy.

Ryan
Well at least one of us was able to find them . maybe I was too busy drooling over the skeet reese rods (or wishing they felt better). But at least the price matches the rod, unlike the reel, which is way overpriced IMO.

Anyways, I'll have to go look for the carbonlite rods again, although it seems most people have found them to be a bit cheapy. I guess Abu's got this value market rod thing down. I can't wait to hear some sensitivity feedback on the Vendettas.

BB
Old 12-30-09, 10:53 AM   #25
rrw4258

Quote:
Well at least one of us was able to find them . maybe I was too busy drooling over the skeet reese rods (or wishing they felt better). But at least the price matches the rod, unlike the reel, which is way overpriced IMO.

Anyways, I'll have to go look for the carbonlite rods again, although it seems most people have found them to be a bit cheapy. I guess Abu's got this value market rod thing down. I can't wait to hear some sensitivity feedback on the Vendettas.

BB

BB, the carbonlites were down by the Clunn Rods I believe, maybe the soft swimbait aisle... some where in that area.

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.