Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-21-10, 09:07 PM   #1
Frank C
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Sponsorships

Hey guys

I just started fishing tournys about 2 years ago. I would like to know on how to become a pro staff. I phone a few tackel companyes and they told me to send a resuma in. What do you put on a resuma to became a pro staff?

thanks for your help

Frank Conte
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 09:52 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Becoming a member of a prostaff can be very difficult, and the tackle companies you have talked to are pretty much in line with everyone else in the industry in that we all want a resume to review before making and decisions. There are a lot of places on the internet where you can find help with building a fishing resume and even look at some resumes that other anglers have done to give you a jumping off place.

Keep in mind that most of the time people get sponsored with the wrong attitude. Most of them expect to get free gear or discounts and are not expecting to give the companies anything in return. As the owner of a jig company that is always getting request to sponsor people I have to tell you that attitude will cause things to go south very quick. We expect our guys to work for what we give them, our demands aren't usually anything too tough but they are demands none the less. There is so much legwork involved in being on a prostaff that it can drive you nuts at times, but that's all part of it. I am on both sides of the business since I not only run a prostaff but I am also sponsored by companies as well for my tournament fishing.

Do a lot of searching on the internet and put together a great resume, but let each company know how you can help them drive up sales and stick to your promises because bad news travles very fast and if you get labled as being a prostaffer who is all about himself and not keeping his end of the bargain then that lable is hard to break.
Old 03-21-10, 10:41 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with everything he said. I've gotten some really good resumes as well. The best resumes show that you are selling yourself. You don't have to prove that you win all the time (that would be nice of course) but just that you fish a lot of different tournaments or club events. Also make sure to state what you will do for the company and what you have to offer.

On top of that I believe there are 2 different "pro" staffs. One is just that, a professional on your staff. This guy is good enough that others look up to him/her and will use what they are using. The second "pro" staff is promotional staff. These are the normal guys that fish a lot. Their jobs can range from working the shows, bagging baits, talking to local tackle store owners to try to get them to carry the product, etc.

And pro staff positions can range from getting money to getting free or discounted products. That depends on the company and their available means.

Those examples are for tackle companies but I think that you would use pretty much the same resume for any company. You want to be their advertising so you have to sell yourself.

On that note I think I should try to find a line sponsor, I need a ton.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 08:21 PM   #4
Marty

I've never fished a tournament or had any personal involvement with sponsorships, but I know enough about it to agree with the prior comments. Think of a pro-staffer and tackle company as having a similar relationship to that of an employee and employer. No company will hire you because you need the money, they'll hire you if you can make a contribution that warrants your salary and benefits.

Same with tackle companies or other potential sponsors. Can you help them increase sales enough to justify whatever they give you?

Good luck, I hope you latch onto something.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:53 PM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I know you need to be a better fisherman than me.
Old 03-22-10, 11:43 PM   #6
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
I know you need to be a better fisherman than me.
I don't know you but I wouldn't say that at all. I would sure rather have a guy that is out there that everybody likes and knows from clubs, tournaments, TBF/BASS, and shows than some guy that is really good but is a hermit.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:39 AM   #7
jasonfish320

I agree with the others, but don't forget that marketing is key! These companies want someone who is professional, responsible and will represent their company well. Also, as the others have mentioned offer something in return to these companies, even if it's something as simple as putting decals of their tackle company on your vehicle/boat or helping out at an expo event. Also, as a word of advice (and I mean no offense) take some time writing your resume and check your grammar and spelling. I would include photos of your boat/truck and mention that you always keep a clean/organized boat truck. You don't need to have a new boat/truck just clean and organized. You have to keep in mind that when your vehicle and boat are covered in advertisements that you need to act more professional and be more courteous...companies do not appreciate someone who has their company plastered on their vehicle and then they go out and cut people off in traffic as they talk on the phone eating a big mac with their middle finger out the window while driving with one knee...just sayin'...good luck!
Old 03-23-10, 09:26 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Never forget that sponsorships, fishing or otherwise, are about SALESMANSHIP. Bottom line is if you can move a lot of the sponsor's product, you're going to be valuable to them.

I can remember back when my band started getting hot. We actually started getting messages sent up to the stage to stop pushing Brand "X" beer for the night, as we had completely sold the bar out of it. This became a regular occurrence, and we soon ended up getting paid stupid amounts of money for a local band. We looked like musicians, but in actuality, we were just beer salesmen who knew how to play guitars. That's all KVD and others are...salesmen who just happen to be very good at catching bass.

I imagine if you can help Lure Company "X" sell a few thousand more jigs, cranks, whatever... per year, through word of mouth or you hawking their product every time you do well in a local tourney, they will want to take care of you and keep it coming.
Old 03-23-10, 10:53 AM   #9
Vegasspider

Default Respect

With all due respect, be respectful and put your best effort forward. I know this is a forum but a great place to network. (I.e. spell check etc.) You never know who is reading these post. I see in the responses two potential sponsors telling you what you need to do. I think that’s a great start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
Hey guys

I just started fishing tournys about 2 years ago. I would like to know on how to become a pro staff. I phone a few tackel companyes and they told me to send a resuma in. What do you put on a resuma to became a pro staff?

thanks for your help

Frank Conte
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 03:52 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

One more thing I would add is that when you get ready to get intouch with potential sponsors you need to make sure it is a product and company you truly believe in, not just another decal for you to add to the boat (not saying this is the case with you but still something that should be added to this conversation). At the begining of the season I recieved an email for sponsorship from someone who is actually a member of this site. At first glance the email looked pretty good, until you looked deeper and then there were red flags all over the place. For one thing at the top where it showed who he sent the email to I saw that he sent to very same email to probably 50 or more companies, all I got was a copy of the same email that 50 other companies got a copy of. Of all the companies that he sent this email to there were a ton of other jig companies, so do you think that he was interested in our jig company or just looking for decals for his boat and logos for his jersey? And in this email he never mentioned ThunderStruck Jigs, it was always "your company" and never even mentioned the word jigs it was always "product" like I said this email was just a mass email that tons of other companies recieved. There is no way I want to spend money or product to a guy who is just interested in being sponsored and it doesn't matter to him who sponsors him. In this case the guy was fairly young and I think it was just a rookie mistake that he will learn from and I wish him the best.
Old 03-25-10, 04:35 PM   #11
3dkicker

As a small business owner and someone who has been on a Pro-staff for a small tackle company I see both ends too. I started selling product for the company five years ago. They had never heard of me or my business but I had found their product and really liked it. I contacted the owners and over the phone discussed the possibility of selling their product at the shows I was going to do. I sold a limited amount of their product the first year. The next year I doubled what I had sold the previous year. The following year I contacted the owners and I was ready to double my previous order again. I also added a custom color to their line which quickly rose to one of their top selling colors. In the same conversation I inquired about their Pro-staff. I was made part of the staff but was also made a distributor and retailer for my state as well. I promoted the baits at the shows and when stopping into the small tackle shops around the state. I became the top retailer for the company and when they decided to close up shop they offered to sell the company to me.
I think most people who start off looking for sponsors or to become a pro-staff member don't realize there needs to be a relationship between the company and the angler. As a small business owner I don't think I'd sponsor anyone or make a pro-staff member someone who I didn't have a good business relationship with. Even a big name pro who really liked my products.
Old 03-30-10, 11:08 AM   #12
Naevulle
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 2 sponsors and I am working on a third at the moment. From what I have learned, you need to be able to present yourself in a possitive way to the company. Before you contact them, study everything you can about their products so that you understand them and know how to use them. Once you have done that, contact them and present yourself having confidence in their products and show that you love them. Be polite, forward and willing to listen to them. You have to sell yourself to them, not the other way around. They will be looking for somebody that puts on a good face for thier merchandise and is willing to talk about and demonstrate it to others.
Naevulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 06:39 PM   #13
Cavs1123

Thats good to hear that you got some sponsors! Way to go!
Old 03-30-10, 09:36 PM   #14
Frank C
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys for your input. I have a rod sponcer already witch I am very happy with. I just need some different points that I have missed when rewriting my resuma for new sponcers.

thanks for your help

Frank Conte
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 09:38 PM   #15
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im a pro in my mind
Old 04-01-10, 09:12 AM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
Im a pro in my mind
You're a pro in name only....
Old 04-02-10, 12:28 AM   #17
Nitro911

Another thing to consider... I have been running tournaments for a little over five years now. Getting a sponsor is one thing, KEEPING them is something else entirely. You will need to be able to show hard numbers as to how you helped the company sell more product or contributed in some way to their success. A sticker on your boat and truck are nice, but any fisherman could do that, and many would do it for nothing.

One other thing to think about is moving outside of the fishing industry. Your insurance agent could probably use some advertising, as could many of the companies that you deal with every day. The fishing industry is swamped with sponsorship requests. If you aren't a proven commodity, then they may pass on you. If you look at who is sponsoring some of the big names, you will see Kellogg's, Land O'Lakes, and other non-fishing companies starting to spend money advertising the millions of anglers in this country. Try some local oil change or tire shops and see if they can help with entry fees and the like. These, obviously, you would like to be cash sponsors, because there is only so many oil changes or computer services that you can use.
Old 04-02-10, 01:05 AM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
thanks guys for your input. I have a rod sponcer already witch I am very happy with. I just need some different points that I have missed when rewriting my resuma for new sponcers.

thanks for your help

Frank Conte
I don't know anything about gaining sponsorships but my advice to you would be to carefully write anything (resume) you plan on presenting to potential sponsors. Have someone else proofread everything you write, use spell check and carefully re-read everything to make sure it is clear and grammatically correct. This is only meant to be constructive and I wouldn't point this out if didn't apply but your grammar and spelling are really bad. I mean no disrespect but you need to present yourself in a positive light and you need to be someone that a company would want representing them. If you can't speak well and your resume is full of grammatical and spelling errors you will knock yourself out of the running before you've even had a chance to show what you have to offer. First impressions are everything. Good luck!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 04:21 PM   #19
fish4adream
BassFishin.Com Member

Some other interesting ideas out there for sponsorship:
http://www.fishingsponsors.com

I know they are the agency on record for e21 fishing, fish harder co, omega, etc.
Jason
fish4adream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 01:20 PM   #20
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Hey guys

thanks for your help

Frank Conte
On your thing it says you are from Canada,if I were you I would go for E21 Carrot Sticks if you like them,they are out of Canada and there are not as many bass fisherman up there so they might like having someone at home in their country,and you can do a lot for them because you live there,making you more valuable.Tell them every way you would be or are valuable to the company
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 02:26 PM   #21
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is a resume format to test out.

Name

Address
Address
Home Phone
Cell Phone

SUMMARY
( Insert and explanation of plan of what you can do for the sponsor and how you can help promote their product. )

PERSONAL
( Give an over view of yourself. Date of birth, martial status, and any children. Also list any hobbies that you might have. If you are involved in function of a fishing web site or contribute articles regularly to a web site, news paper, or magazine. Also mention any charity or children’s events you are involved in.)

AFFILIATIONS
( List any current sponsors and anyone that helps you out example local tackle shops, auto repair places)

WORK HISTORY
( List your current employer and job description)

EDUCATION
( List the school and college you attended and the years and majors)

ANGLING HISTORY
(List any clubs that you have been a member of. Include any office or directors position you might have had. You can also give a brief description of any accomplishment you might have had in your club.)

Major Previous Year Accomplishments:
(List any wins or top finishes you had in major tournaments you fished the previous year. )

Past Accomplishments:
(List any prior major accomplishments you achieved that is fishing related from old major tournament finishes, starting a new tournament trail, etc. I also include any seminars I have done.)

Current Year Tournament Trails To Be Fished
(List the current tournament trails you plan on fishing or are fishing)

Past Tournament Experience:
(List any past tournament trails the you have fished)

Media Exposure:
(List any type of major articles that might have been written about you or any fishing related television appearance you have made)
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 06:06 PM   #22
Captmikestarrett

I am sponsered by Kraft Foods. Yea...

I get a cheese sammy each week in the mail..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.