Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-10, 07:05 PM   #1
chopsticktown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to chopsticktown
Default Fishing Log

How many of you guys keep fishing logs? Ive deiced to keep one and hope it works out on my tournaments to come.

What would be the good stuff to include and whats some things that i shouldn't include?
chopsticktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 07:40 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm actually doing that this year... First off, I'm keeping a fish log of how many fish I catch every year right there in my signature, and try to out do my self the next. So far this year I've got 61, 1 bass over 5lbs and a 6 something pounder, I forget the exact weight, but It's better than last years PB, I know that!

last year I got 200 exactly, and I think 7 bass over 5lbs! It was a good year for size!

Secondly, I keep a log on my PC after every outing about what the weather was like, how I caught them ans where! This way I can check them out next year and have a pretty good idea of what to do next year... kinda like a fishing diary!

Do it! I'm sure it'll really help fishing tournaments!
Old 04-07-10, 12:30 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There are several good ones out there for the PC. I use one called Fishinsight. Not only is it a good fishing log-you can print out reports-but it has a good equipment log so you can keep track of maintenance, etc.

In the past I haven't really kept up with it but am amking an effort to be a lot more thorough.

One thing I did was to get a small voice recorder I carry with me. Catch a fish and I can quickly record the important stuff-whatever you choose it to be-and them transfer it to my fishing log. The voice recorder on a cell phone will work just as well.

The log comes in handy when looking at past catches-for example, I look back at what worked at different lakes at different times of the year to either match my success or try something different.
Old 04-07-10, 12:46 AM   #4
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do in the 'ol noggin. lol
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 06:10 AM   #5
PaulT
BassFishin.Com Member

My wife, Tina, has started keeping a diary of our trips this year. Includes, in addition to things already mentioned, weather, time on the water, time off the water.
Need to get her to start adding more details, water temp, water color, and notes on the launch and how busy the lake was.
Old 04-07-10, 08:00 AM   #6
Mac2

You may want to include what's going on in nature to help pinpoint the time of year.....what's coming into budding, what's blooming, the activity level of cattle, etc. Also relate what bird calls you hear at the time. After several years of logging and paying attention, you will be able to deduct some good info from your logs.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:23 AM   #7
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nah I fish for fun... but I can see where a log may help you for reminders on future tourneys where you come back to the same lake with similar conditions, what worked and what didn't.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:48 AM   #8
chopsticktown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to chopsticktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
nah I fish for fun... but I can see where a log may help you for reminders on future tourneys where you come back to the same lake with similar conditions, what worked and what didn't.
That's the main reason im starting to keep one, i always want the edge when it comes to my fishing and i keep reading that a log is a good thing to do for patterns. all i can do now is hope it works
chopsticktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 01:27 PM   #9
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just started keeping one this year so ill see how it works out.
Old 04-07-10, 03:12 PM   #10
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

www.bassresource.com has a good printable log
Old 04-08-10, 12:20 AM   #11
MarkB
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been keepin a log in one form or another since the early 70s. This past winter my wife & I set up a Filemaker Pro database to log trips. I like this set up because not only can I track pertinent details but I can imbed a photo of that trip right in the file, which is usually the lunker of the day.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 07:40 AM   #12
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't keep track of just my results, I pay attention to the top 4 or 5 places. Most of the time right after a tourn. they are willing to talk about their luck or lack of. That gives me a heads up on what other pattern was working. Seems to help alot especially if you only fish a lake once or twice a year. Good luck.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 12:58 PM   #13
Strike_King 609

great link Cavs having any luck these days
Old 04-27-10, 02:59 PM   #14
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

For about two years I had an extremely detailed log with like 40 different columns for each individual fish, but that got to be too much. Now I just get the basics down in excel and make two text boxes - one for patterns and one for notes.

I've realized that it works best for me to get the basic information down along with other key things, but not every miniscule detail.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.