Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-12, 02:00 PM   #1
blademan743
BassFishin.Com Member

Default flourocarbon help!!!

i am like a lot of fishermen, i have tried every kind of line known to man. can anyone tell the best flourocarbon line out there!!!!
blademan743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:12 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm in the process of testing out fluorocarbons, again. So far, Sunline Sniper and Seaguar Tatsu and Sufix Invisiline 100% have impressed me, in very limited use. A lot of people really like Seaguar InvizX also, it seems to be one of the best handling fluoros out there.

It seems like using fluoro is about sacrificing something for the benefit of something else. For a lot of people, it's just not worth the trouble.

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-20-12 at 03:54 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 03:07 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Quote:
It seems like using fluoro is about sacrificing something for the benefit of something else. For a lot of people, it's just not worth the trouble.
That would be ME! I've tried several brands and as a main line, I'm done trying it. It's great for leaders, that's the only use I have for it. Totally useless as a main line on spinning gear. The memory and unmanagability (NOT to mention EXPENSE) of it is far too much aggrivation for any benifit in fishing my home water, which is usually stained. Gin clear water - then I use a slightly longer leader.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 04:08 PM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Baitcasting reel or spinnng reel? For what application are you thinking of using Fluorocarbon, and what weight of line do you like to use for that technique?

I fish spinning reels almost exclusively and gave yup on Flurocarbone 2 years ago. Lately I have been thinking of giving FC a second chance, though it won't be any time soon as I just spooled 3 reels with braid (Suffix 832) and I have a spool of nanofil that I still haven't put on a reel.

I used to think the main advantage of Fluorocarbon was line visibility, but the more I read about FC the people who use it like it's sensativity. Because Fluorocarbon is more dense than braid or monofilament, it transmits sublte vibrations on a slack line (or at least on a semi-slack line.) While braid is sensative on a tight line because of it's zero-stretch, it does not transmit vibrations when slack. Mono will transmit some vibration on a semi-slack line, but FC is much more sensative because of its density and low-stretch propperties.
Old 06-20-12, 04:28 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
That would be ME! I've tried several brands and as a main line, I'm done trying it. It's great for leaders, that's the only use I have for it. Totally useless as a main line on spinning gear. The memory and unmanagability (NOT to mention EXPENSE) of it is far too much aggrivation for any benifit in fishing my home water, which is usually stained. Gin clear water - then I use a slightly longer leader.

not to take away from the OP, but i was told that on stained lakes fluro is a plus, if it aint i am putting my 832 back on and saying goodby, i hate fluro, i have learned to love sunline, 20,lb, but any lb below it drives me nuts,,..... again sorry o hijack
Old 06-20-12, 04:29 PM   #6
islandbass

[QUOTE=

It seems like using fluoro is about sacrificing something for the benefit of something else. For a lot of people, it's just not worth the trouble.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is true but it is also true of just about any line category, unfortunately.

I think it would be cool to compose a table of the general line categories and list their positive traits and drawbacks (pros and cons). If people would give their input, I would be more than happy to create the table.

For example:

Mono-filament (Nylon)

Pros: Economical, Great General Purpose Line, Refractive Index is fairly close to water
Cons: Has Memory, Weakened (over time) by UVs. Can have too much stretch. Line diameter is greater relative to other lines of the same strength.
Notes: Performs well on both spinning and casting reels. For bass sized spinning reels I would not recommend putting on more than 10# test.

Braid:
Pros: Line has very little stretch, which can improve feedback to anglers. Small Line diameter relative to mono-filament of same strength - barring wear and tear, braid can last a very long time. Does not absorb water, line can float.
Cons: Same Thin Diameter can make line dig into itself on the spool in lighter #test - The same near zero stretch can make the line snap from extreme shock - line color is eventually fades.
Notes: Performs well on both spinning and casting reels. For casting reels, I would not recommend putting on braid less than 20# test.

Fluorocarbon
Pros:
Cons:
Note:

Your get the idea. Just add on your input for any and/or all line types.
Old 06-20-12, 06:33 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There are trade-offs for every type of line and that includes fluorocarbon. I started out as one of those people who didn't like it because I had a very bad first experience with a line from a company that is known to make very good copolymer lines. Apparently, their success with them didn't carry over to FC... The line I had so much trouble with was P-Line 100% Fluorocarbon.

There are some generalizations that can be made that hold true for the vast majority of FC lines out there. Fluorocarbon is more sensitive that mono; however not because of low stretch or whatever FC companies claim. It's because it is denser than nylon. With that, you get the sinking properties of FC lines. Fluorocarbon has a closer index of refraction to waters than nylon lines, so as far as the physics of it is concerned, it should be harder to see (this doesn't mean invisible).

Now, some of the trade-offs (also more generalizations): FC line does stretch, but some more than others. Generally, when you have a stretchy FC line, it will also show better knot strength, less memory, and be overall more manageable. However, it will probably not be as abrasion resistant. Seaguar InvisX is a perfect example of this. To improve abrasion resistance or decrease stretch, you usually have to get a line that is stiffer (more memory) with worse knot strength and it will be overall less manageable.

So to find a FC line you like, you need to find the balance of these characteristics that works for YOU. Someone else's favorite may not be what you're looking for, so find something that fits what you want in a line rather than what someone else wants.

Personally, I decided to give FC lines another shot and fell in love with Seaguar InvisX. It's still the line I recommend to FC beginners or those who have had similar bad experiences; but it is not the only fluorocarbon I use and love. Like I said earlier, InvisX has noticeable stretch similar to a good nylon mono with excellent knot strength and it's as manageable as a good mono. However, I wanted something a bit stiffer and a bit more abrasion resistant. After trying a couple more, I've found and really like Sunline Super FC (blue box). My next FC to try will be Sunline Super Sniper.

Good luck in your search for a good FC for you.

BB
Old 06-20-12, 08:25 PM   #8
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Invisx as everyone has already stated is a great fluorocarbon. It transmits vibrations well, but has a lot of stretch but can be a negative or positive depending on whether you're cranking or soaking a worm. Invisx is by far the most manageable fluoro I've used but the sacrifice there is that it is not abrasion resistant by any means. The knot strength with invisx is top notch.

The second best fluoro I've used is sunline sniper fc. It has VERY low stretch, and above average abrasion resistance, but it's knot strength is weaker than most fc according to tackle tour and it isn't nearly as manageable as invisx. Some more plus' for sniper is that it has no deformity once stretched (invisx has a lot), and it absorbs 0 water.

Even though this is a question about fluoro I'm going to recommend yo zuri hybrid. It has very low stretch like sniper, is more manageable than invisx, has great tensile strength, and is very abrasion resistant! It is also a lot more economical, I buy a 600 yard spool for $12 on amazon.
fishingprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 10:28 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

I am a big fan of flourocarbon myself. I used Seaguar InvizX for a long time until they came out with AbrazX and I switched to it and have been even more pleased. I agree that it can be a pain on spinning gear but if you take a few preventitive measures when spooling up it is very managable. First of all once you start getting close to having what you think is enough line on your spinning reel, stop reeling and open your bail. If the line comes off like a spring then you have too much line on the reel. Once I am sure I have the right amount of line on the reel then I get my wife to help me (this is where it really pays off to have a wife that fishes a lot lol). I will loosen my drag to the point that she can take the end of the line and strip line off the reel by just walking. I have her walk until just about all of my line is off the reel. Then I will play a little tug of war with her to stretch it out as best I can. Then I will have her drop the line and I will start reeling it in while keeping tension on the line in front of the reel and stopping every so often to spray it really well with KVD Line and Lure Conditioner. This will remove all the twist from the line and it will handle really well. If I start getting memory in my line while fishing then I will cut my bait off and take off on the trolling motor while feeding my line over the side of the boat. When I get to the bottom of the spool I just troll for a little bit and let the twist work back out, then I reel it back in and go back to fishing. It's more work than with mono but in my opinion it is worth it for the benifits that flourocarbon offers.

For baitcasters I spool up like I would with any other line. I still get my wife to walk the line off and play tug of war but after that I have never had a need to use the trolling motor to take the line twist out. I just use KVD Line and Lure Conditioner after each trip and again before each trip, but I do that with mono anyways so that isn't a big deal to me.
Old 06-21-12, 08:09 AM   #10
rrw4258

For me, Sunline Sniper and Shooter are the best fluorocarbons out there. I like Sniper on spinning gear, and for crankbaits and spinnerbaits, or when making any long casting presentations such as throwing a senko. Shooter is just a hair stiffer (but not much), but is as tough as nails when fishing through rocks and zebra mussels.

Ryan
Old 06-21-12, 07:52 PM   #11
Tavery5

Tatsu works well for my needs
Old 06-21-12, 08:14 PM   #12
Fish AZ
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm new here but have been lurking.
I like Seaguar InvisX, I have it on my spinning and baitcasters. It's pricey though and you get a 200yd. spool which leads to waste or leader material. They need to change to 300yd. spools.

Best, Rick
Fish AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 08:19 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish AZ View Post
I'm new here but have been lurking.
I like Seaguar InvisX, I have it on my spinning and baitcasters. It's pricey though and you get a 200yd. spool which leads to waste or leader material. They need to change to 300yd. spools.

Best, Rick
Are you filling your whole reel with fluorocarbon? If so, then you're wasting a lot of line anyways. Use backing to make the FC last longer. I usually fill up 2-3 times out of a 200yd spool and use any left over as leader material.

BB
Old 07-10-12, 08:00 PM   #14
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

here is my take on fc it will work on bait casters it will nt work on spinning reels
it has more memory than mono knots are more critical with fc and if you use 14# or less on bait casters the control is better I use trilene fc and I am satisified with
it it isa very good combo with braid as a leader also blakemore makes a spray
called reel eze? if sprayed on your spool every hour or so its more managable
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 08:46 PM   #15
keithdog

I probably should just keep my mouth shut. If your a flourocarbon user and like it, my hats off to you. Personally, I won't use it. First off, it's wayyyy over priced. Secondly, I didn't like how it handled, and had more trouble with it than any other line type. And I didn't see any increase in my catch rate. Really, I didn't find any benefits from using it, other than it drained my wallet faster thus preventing frequent fast food stops. So I guess it was a benefit to my health. I would much rather use a good quality copoly line like Flouroclear. It's a small diameter, flourocarbon coated line and has great knot strength and abrasion resistance. There is little if any handling troubles when using a copoly line. I get very good sensitivity with colpoly lines as well. With flourocrabon, I feel like all I've gained is an expensive headache. Now that I feel like Simon Cowell belittling a performer, I'll shut up. Just my 1-1/2 cents worth.
Old 07-10-12, 10:11 PM   #16
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

Line conditioner will help immensely with flourocarbon. I dunno how I ever used it without it really.
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.