Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-12, 06:25 PM   #1
Whopper Stopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How I love my bait caster.

Every once in a while I find myself in the mood for a good kick in the teeth. When this happens I always dig out my Fenwick 7’ medium heavy, with its Shimano Curado bantam bait caster. It is very exhilarating to know that by the third cast I can expect a birds nest the size of an old hand made kitten ball. I have been trying to use a bait caster for years for throwing bass baits, and for years my ineptness has never disappointed me.
I use a bait caster for musky. I have 100 pound power pro on it. I can throw baits for 12 hours and not have any problems. When I try to use the Curado with light braid line it’s like poking a guard dog with a sharp stick. I may get by once or twice, but sure as heck, by throw number I am rewarded with a home big bird would be proud of.
Can anyone offer any help or thoughts?
WS
Whopper Stopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 06:34 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It sounds like you need to set the brakes on the reel. If you pull all 6 brake shoes outward, to the "on" position, you should be able to cast to your heart's content with no backlashes. You won't get much distance but you shouldn't get any backlashes either.
Old 07-08-12, 06:38 PM   #3
Tavery5

Remove the palm side cover and engage about 3 of the centrifugal brake tabs, replace the cover. Attach whatever bait it is that you would like to throw. Keeping your thumb on the spool disengage the reel and let the bait fall toward the floor controlling the speed with your thumb to prevent a backlash. Adjust the spool tension with the spool tension knob until you can disengage the the reel and the bait falls to the floor with a nice controlled fall and the spool does not spin once it reaches the floor.

This is a good starting point for making casts without backlashing, as you become better at controlling the reel, you can turn off brake tabs and loosen the spool tension to improve distance.

The old Bantam Curados were good casting reels and when the reel is properly adjusted you should be able to make hundreds of casts without a backlash.

hope it helps
Old 07-08-12, 07:22 PM   #4
Whopper Stopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you both very much! I took it back outside and pulled the cover off. I saw where 2 of the 6 tabs were pulled out. I pulled out two more and made about 10 casts without incident. I saw where the two tabs that were pulled out were directly across from each other. I made sure the two I did were also across from each other. Is this important, or doesn’t it matter?
Thanks again for the help. I have gone through this aggravation for about ten years. If this is all that was wrong I will start posting all my other problems! Hahaha
WS
Old 07-08-12, 07:44 PM   #5
Tavery5

Popular opinion is that it is best to keep the tabs pulled out so that it creates balance.

You might think about having that reel serviced, not only does it ensure that everything is working as it should, it also helps to create repeatable results.
Old 07-08-12, 07:49 PM   #6
Jrob78

Glad it worked out for you! Like Tav said, you can adjust the brakes to fit your skill and comfort level. As you get more accustom to baitcasting, you can turn more brakes off. It is always good to keep the brake shoes set evenly, like you did. That way the rotation of the spool is balanced.

The Bantam Curados are excellent reels and if yours is in like new condition, have fun with it! I agree that you might want to have it serviced, i'm sure it needs it after sitting for 10+ years.
Old 07-08-12, 09:43 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here is a fantastic site for setting up a baitcaster:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

I always recommend that site to people "taking the plunge". Good review for us old timers, too!
Old 07-09-12, 12:56 PM   #8
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post
Thank you both very much! I took it back outside and pulled the cover off. I saw where 2 of the 6 tabs were pulled out. I pulled out two more and made about 10 casts without incident. I saw where the two tabs that were pulled out were directly across from each other. I made sure the two I did were also across from each other. Is this important, or doesn’t it matter?
Thanks again for the help. I have gone through this aggravation for about ten years. If this is all that was wrong I will start posting all my other problems! Hahaha
WS
Sounds like great progress! In addition to adjusting the equipment, you could also try paying attention to your casting mechanics. If you had 10 good casts, then the 11th wasn't so good, can you detect any differences between 1-10 and 11?
Especially switching from a magnum-sized muskie pole to a lighter setup, will usually require some adjustments in casting motion, timing of when you release the spool, thumbing pressure, etc. I notice a difference when switching from a MH pole with 30# braid to a M pole with 20# braid.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 01:56 PM   #9
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As Tavery said don't forget to adjust that cast control knob with the switch of every bait. I personally like mine a little tighter; I'll adjust it so if I "bounce" the rod tip my bait will drop smoothly about 4-6". With this setting of the cast control knob and 3 brakes off and 3 on. The only time I jack this up is when "unload" or whip the tip the of my rod.

I can get great distances with my Shimano's (Curado and Citica) and these settings. So much so I almost pray I don't catch a fish within the first few yards of the cast as I have to much line out and it could turn into a helluva fight. I like the fight, but I like to land fish too, LOL!

Keep at it, I'm a person with very little patience and have got this...you can too. I was in your position at one time and it has taken me a couple of years, but now I won't hesitate to pick one up. YOU GOT THIS!!!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 04:14 PM   #10
islandbass

The curados are one of the most idiot-proof baitcasters out there. You will get it down with all of the given advice. Please note that very thin braid, if you use something like 20# braid, can be unwieldy for novices and so I would stay away from anything lighter than 40# braid until you get enough experience.

There are two things that I would add:

1) Pull off enough line to make about 2.5 - 3 cast lengths. Add a piece of tape to the line and wind in the line. Now if you make another bird's nest it should not go any further than that piece of tape.

2) Learn to allow the lure's weight to load the rod. This eliminates a lot of bird's nest issues that occur right after the cast. Once you do, you will be amazed at how far you will make cast with so little effort. Not doing so with a spinning rig has no consequence but on casting reels it does.

3) Make your thumb stop the spool from spinning before your lure hits the water's surface. Assuming the reel has been set to the lure's weight, this is perhaps one of the larger culprits in making it difficult for newbies. Feather the spool to a stop or stop the spool dead cold. It doesn't matter how you stop the spool. The key is to stop it before the lure hits the water or anything else.

With these few keys, I have taught people, including some who never used a baitcast reel, learn in less than 30 minutes. Works well for those of little patience (like me too).
Old 07-09-12, 08:22 PM   #11
Whopper Stopper
BassFishin.Com Member

All I can say is “Thanks Again”. I never expected this much advice, tips, and help. It’s very overwhelming to say the least. I will be spending three days this coming weekend bass fishing out of the kayak. I have a feeling that by the end of it things are going to be working a lot better.
I am going to bring my trusty Scum Frog, and then a couple of things I have never tried before, a jig and craw and a purple worm. Don’t be too surprised if you see me posting more questions next week

WS

Old 07-09-12, 08:35 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
All I can say is “Thanks Again”. I never expected this much advice, tips, and help. It’s very overwhelming to say the least. I will be spending three days this coming weekend bass fishing out of the kayak. I have a feeling that by the end of it things are going to be working a lot better.
I am going to bring my trusty Scum Frog, and then a couple of things I have never tried before, a jig and craw and a purple worm. Don’t be too surprised if you see me posting more questions next week

WS

Your very welcome, I think you will find that the folks on this site are very willing to help. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here and it's rare that a question is asked here that someone can not point you in the right direction. When you get the opportunity to share, make sure you do so, look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 07-09-12, 09:05 PM   #13
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:

WS
As we are routinely told in the military...The only stupid question is an unasked question! Make yourself at home, you'll see I'm a fairly "new guy" and there is a great bunch of folks here that are more than willing to help! Welcome and ask away...good luck on that next fishing trip!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 01:36 AM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Glad you found some resolution to the issue. Check out the video section for an easy way to remove the back lashes if it happens again. I have quite a few Curados and love them. Like IB said, they are almost idiot proof and easy to work on and clean.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.