Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-13-12, 07:35 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default P Line comparison.

I've been using PLines Flouroclear for several years now thanks to Rebs recommendation and love the stuff. However, I have never used PLines CX line. Both are advertized as being a flourocarbon coated copoly line. From what I have heard, the CXX is a more abrasion resistant version of the CX. But what is the difference between the CX and Flouroclear?
Old 07-13-12, 08:59 AM   #2
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Following post as I'd like to know as well...

FWIW Keith, I'm running the CXX in 12lb on a bait caster and the FloroClear 8lb on another bait caster and my drop shot rig. The CXX looks and feels more like a mono IMO. Hardly any stretch and the overall diameter seems to be larger than when I also had some 12lb floroclear that I gooned up spooling.

I'm starting to grow fond of my floroclear, especially on my drop shot rig. It seems about right for that. The CX seems like it might be great middle ground of the three. I have no experience with the CX, so I'm anxious to hear what those say who have experience with it.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 02:22 AM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use CX on the majority of my reels. To me, it's a really good balance between Fluoroclear and CXX. When i first went from mono to copoly, I started with Yo-Zuri Hybrid. I liked it for its strength and low stretch compared to mono but hated its memory. I tried CX next and never spooled up with the YZH again.

To me, CXX is more of a heavy bait line, it's good for swimbaits, flipping and pitching in nasty cover and maybe some square bills and spinnerbaits in heavy cover. The diameter is big for it's weight class and after it's been used for awhile, it's no longer smooth. It almost seems like the line gets scuffed up or something. It is tough as nails though. To me, it's kind of like fishing with rope, which isn't always a bad thing, just not good for every situation.

Fluoroclear is a good line but it's more of the finesse line of the three. It handles really well and is pretty strong but also has quite a bit of stretch. I've used it on baitcasting gear with no problems but I feel like it's better suited for spinning gear.

For me, CX falls somewhere in the middle. It is tougher than Fluoroclear and has a smaller diameter than CXX. It does have its share of stretch but not as much as Fluoroclear, it also has more memory but nothing that a little KVD LL won't take care of. It has decent sensitivity, casts well and has excellent knot strength.

Fishing line seems to be a fairly subjective thing, everyone has their own favorites. CX is by far my favorite of the three. I use 10, 12 and 15lb on different set ups with 12 being the one I use the most. I can't think of a time I've ever had a break off with it and the memory doesn't drive me crazy. When I'm using CX I don't think about my line too much one way or the other, I think that's a good thing. Plus, it's cheap enough to try out and not be too upset if you don't like it. I think 12lb test is ideal for most baitcasting presentations with this line, it's thin enough for cranking and strong enough for t-rigging without having really bad memory. Pline makes really good line and to me, CX is the best copoly of the ones I've tried.-
Old 07-14-12, 01:27 PM   #4
islandbass

I tried fluoroclear once and I was very impressed with how well it casted. However, my assessment is not complete because I lost the entire spool to snags in the same trip.

I have also used CX but one thing I noticed about PLine's lines like CX and CXX is how much memory they acquire and how quickly they acquire it.

Note, memory, other than being unsightly, does not affect performance so I am not knocking the lines.

My take is this... If any on these lines are going on casting reel, there really is no problem. However on spinning reels, at least CX, the memory was ugly but not an issue.

For CX and CXX, and I like to loosely equate those to the XL and XT. I use CXX when I battle the strong fighting Chum Salmon. CXX is one bad mamma jamma in the abrasion resistance and toughness department.

As for CX, it's just my luck, but I think I only caught one darned fish with it. I like the line and I know it's just me, lol.

One other thing that I like about P-Line is that CX and CXX are very reasonably priced.

Yo-Zuri is a great line too, but it is not readily available in my area so I haven't used it in a while.
Old 07-14-12, 03:54 PM   #5
Bassboss

Another thing you my want to look into is C21. I've used both Floroclear, and CXX, never CX though. But it's suppose to fall somewhere between CXX and CX. It is Fluoro coated so it does sink. I was hopping it floated when I bought it but I've grown to love it! I got the 15lb and it is remarkable thin!

When compared to CXX it has more stretch, isn't quite as abrasion resistant, is very manageable, and like I said it sinks and is very thin. But Here's where I was really surprised! It's a surprisingly sensitive line, even more so than CXX despite its extra stretch. More sensitive than CXX, but less so then Sufix Fluorocarbon.
Old 07-14-12, 09:15 PM   #6
bassinbob

I used to use Yo-Zuri until I was advised to try CX. I use it a lot now. I think it's as good a line you will find. Same for the Yo-Zuri. My secret santa sent me some of the C21 and I haven't used it enough to compare it with other lines. Although it seems to have no issues yet.
Old 07-14-12, 09:39 PM   #7
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have used 8# and 15# CX, and 6# and 12# CXX. Both are very good lines and pretty cheap price wise compared to other lines. I;ve used them on both spinning and casting tackle, and like Island said it does retain some memory, but still performs well. Its the only line I use besides braid, I have no inclination to try anything else in the near future.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 11:01 PM   #8
keithdog

Ok, so lets narrow it down between the CX and Flouroclear, since the difference between Flouroclear and CXX is so great. Reading the descriptions in catalog regarding CX and Flouroclear, one would think they were the same animal.
Old 07-14-12, 11:10 PM   #9
Jrob78

CX is stronger, harder, has a little bit more memory and little bit less stretch. To me, Fluroclear is more of spinning line while CX is more of baitcasting line, not that either can't be used both ways. It's Trilene XL to XT or Sufix Seige to Elite. Both are great lines.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.