Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-25-12, 02:15 AM   #1
tony-d
BassFishin.Com Member

Default wobbly handle on my baitcaster

I just got back from fishing today and noticed the handle on my pflueger patriarch XT to be slightly wobbly...it's wobbling where the cover meets the body it seems (blue in photo)...If I use force on the handle it comes in and out...it still spins fine, but I am concerned this is the beginning of a potential issue down the road

does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

I tried tightening the nut that on the handle, but it didn't do anything

I included a photo incase my description is not clear...any help appreciated

tony-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-12, 01:16 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You could try a google search for the schematics and remove the handle, drag washers, etc. You might find a broke piece or something with the casing it is sitting in.
Old 07-26-12, 07:45 AM   #3
rrw4258

It could be that the crankshaft is loose. It is held in place by a couple of screws. The base of the crankshaft will have two small little "feet" that are under a plastic piece, and held in place by two or three screws.

Ryan
Old 07-26-12, 09:46 AM   #4
Tavery5

My bet is that there in nothing wrong with your reel. It is more of an optical illusion, the cap that is pressed on to the bottom of the drag star does not always set perfectly flush, so when you turn the handle the distance between the reel and the bottom edge of the cap gives it the appearance that it is wobbly. It is also very common that if you apply outward pressure on the reel handle for it to move slightly, usually about an 1/8th inch or so, some may be slightly more just depends on how the bearing or bushing on the end of the crank shaft was spaced out during assembly. Why it may look weird I think you have nothing to worry about and what you are experiencing is normal.
Old 07-26-12, 11:51 AM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
My bet is that there in nothing wrong with your reel. It is more of an optical illusion, the cap that is pressed on to the bottom of the drag star does not always set perfectly flush, so when you turn the handle the distance between the reel and the bottom edge of the cap gives it the appearance that it is wobbly. It is also very common that if you apply outward pressure on the reel handle for it to move slightly, usually about an 1/8th inch or so, some may be slightly more just depends on how the bearing or bushing on the end of the crank shaft was spaced out during assembly. Why it may look weird I think you have nothing to worry about and what you are experiencing is normal.
I'm going to have to say that Tony nailed it. The drag star is not a perfectly uniform part. You can grab almost any reel and if you look at the bottom of the star while you crank the handle, it will look like the star is bent or moving. Thats just because the gap between the frame and the star doesn't stay uniform. He was also correct that there will almost always be some in and out movement of the handle and star. Thats because the base of the shaft sits a little bit loose in the bearing and plate that holds the shaft in place.

Now, if you actually did have a side to side slop in your handle, that would mean that your anti reverse bearing/clutch has completly failed. The cranksahft goes through a sleeve and that sleeve is inside of a roller bearing clutch. That clutch and sleeve holds the top of the crankshaft in perfect alignment. If there is slop there, it would be a major malfunction and the reel would not be usable at all.

The last thing I can think of that would actually cause your handle and shaft to have side to side slop would be if you bent the crank shaft at the point where it comes through the side of the reel. It still would not be sloppy, but would have a noticable wobble type movement as you crank it, but it would be everything on the outside of the reel wobbling.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 12:42 PM   #6
tony-d
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

I'll leave it as is and if I find it gets worse, go from there
tony-d is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.