Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-28-12, 09:58 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Where's the respect?

We anglers,
ASA estimates some forty million fishermen spend over $45 billion on fishing related expenses each year. Using known multiplier effects, this translates into a $125 billion overall impact for the United States economy. A breakdown of these purchases includes support for a million jobs, $45 billion paid in wages,

at PETA’s 2004 financials. Straight from its Web site, I discovered that PETA’s prodigious revenue of over $29 million bought:
** 2,700 media interviews
** 703 organized demonstrations
** Nearly 11,000 mentions in print
** Coverage on at least seven major TV networks
** 150,000 “vegetarian starter kits” disseminated to the public
** Enough “educational materials” for 235,000 teachers and 11,000,000 students…
But not a single acre of land for wildlife preservation — not even for endangered species!

Hmmm. Seems that PETA and friends just don’t realize that what critters of every stripe need more than billboards, picket lines, ad campaigns, and celebrity advocates are places to live and thrive.

But WE anglers DO!

The real thing that prompted this thread was I got my third Cabela's catalog this month....315 pages of Christmas gift giving adds and a grand total of TWO PAGES with fishing stuff I may buy for a 12 year old newbie and NOTHING else. Can't even get waders unless their Camo.

Best Black Friday sale was Overstock and they run their sales ALL YEAR LONG.
I never buy a single purchase of anything fishing without checking what they have, plus I'm on their Hit List (Hot List) so I spend hundreds of $ there yearly.
Christmas is every month at Overstock Bait!

$45 billion in retail sales last year alone was spent by recreational fishing.
I'm worth more than TWO PAGES of ads!!!!
Ok I'm done.....

Just guess how much
sportsmen spend on
ice every year. No,
it’s more. More than
that, too. Ready?
It’s $378 million.

And that’s a hard fact.
Old 11-28-12, 01:28 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

I can't begin to describe how much I hate cruelty to animals. I have been an animal lover all of my life, taken in countless strays and injured wildlife. Everything from rabbits to horses. I don't feel conflicted at all by the fact that I also love to hunt and fish. I feel no guilt or shame being a meateater.

Orgs like PETA probably start with the best of motives and somehow morph into the blind hard left fanatics that we see today. To be fair it happens on the right too. I've been an NRA member for years, but if you let them have their way, they'd prob claim it's our right to keep RPG's and mortars in our home.

****Only suckers buy store bought ice, unless they're way out of town***
Old 11-28-12, 08:49 PM   #3
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It all started out to prevent testing of products like hairspray, cosmetics and crap like that on animals like bunny rabbits. They would spray it into their eyes and see if it blinded them, dumb crap like that needed stop. They succeeded at that evidently, so they must do something to keep their phoney baloney jobs, right?
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-12, 10:25 PM   #4
Bassin' Gal

Hey, I'm a member of PETA!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-12, 06:29 PM   #5
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin' Gal View Post
Hey, I'm a member of PETA!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Ha! You beat me to it, lol!
Old 12-07-12, 01:32 AM   #6
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I can't begin to describe how much I hate cruelty to animals. I have been an animal lover all of my life, taken in countless strays and injured wildlife. Everything from rabbits to horses. I don't feel conflicted at all by the fact that I also love to hunt and fish. I feel no guilt or shame being a meateater.

Orgs like PETA probably start with the best of motives and somehow morph into the blind hard left fanatics that we see today. To be fair it happens on the right too. I've been an NRA member for years, but if you let them have their way, they'd prob claim it's our right to keep RPG's and mortars in our home.

****Only suckers buy store bought ice, unless they're way out of town***
well said kenn...well said
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.