Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 02-27-14, 03:39 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Dont' ya hate telemarketers?

YES, IT'S LONG, cabin fever sucks, We've had snow on the ground the entire month of Feb., it snowed yesterday and the day before and another storm with PLOWABLE SNOW (I've grown to HATE that description) is headed this way this weekend, so if you don't have a "few minutes" check another post. And I'm attempting to outdo Joedog for "Longest Post of the Month".

I hate them. I'm listed on the "Do Not Call List", yet one or two call me every freakin' day (almost) and a few have tried calling my cell number. Don't you wish you could reach through the phone and grab them by the neck? I sometimes, out of boredom and frustration, answer a call and jerk them around a little but is doesn't deter them. I've given some of the hardcore ones a blast from a canned air horn and I may have deafened a couple but I didn't ask them to call. I really wish they would all be outlawed.

Example #1 (yesterday)
Telemarketer: May I speak to Mrs. Moore?
Me: She's not available.
Telemarketer: Would Mr. Moore be available?
Me: No (where the heck did I put that air horn)
Telemarketer: Well how about Mr. Less?
Me: (WTF, I got a comedian) You're fu**king funny pal can I have a call back number and I'll have him call you back? Oh and go f**k yourself while you wait. [click]

That was bad, I almost regret loosing my cool. But today...

Telemarketer: May I speak to Mrs. Moore.
Me: She's not available. (yeah I have a pattern)
Telemarketer: May I speak to Mr. Moore?
Me: You are. (I have to get another air horn)
Telemarketer: I'm calling in reference to your 2008 Grand Cherokee...
Me: (interrupting his spiel) Pal we traded that over a year ago.
Telemarketer: Oh, I'm sorry my information must be incorrect.
Me: Well your day's improving - you got something correct. [click]

Usually, I just hit the answer button when an unknown number comes up on caller ID, say hello and if I get dead air I hang up. But occasionally I feel the need to wait and try to annoy the caller as much as they annoy me or hit them with a blast to the ear. HONESTLY, is there a worse job than trying to make a buck by telemarketing?

Oh, I forgot I did get a bit of satisfaction a couple days ago by being a complete a$$ and imitating the Indian/Pakistani accent (poorly and intentionally so) of the caller and asking him if he was interested in a Dunkin' Donut franchise rather than making a living calling people he didn't know - he got a little angry with me (yes - fist pump) but I was saved by the [click]....

And finally the absolute best: A few weeks ago but it's made my all time top of the chart. I am not going to bore you will all the conversation (you are probably bored enough and considering stopping your read by now) as it went on for several minutes. It was one of my favorite telemarketer calls - if you can have a favorite - as it concerned my electric provider (I worked 41 years for our local utility and would NEVER consider being disloyal) and I was going to have a little fun with this poor Indian/Pakistani woman that interrupted my meditation. So after listening to this woman and asking her intelligent questions in regards to electric supply for about 5 minutes I became bored...

Telemarketer: So, Mr Moore can I send you the information regarding "x-y-z" electric?
Me: No thanks, as I said I worked for the local company that provided me with a good living and a good retirement. No, I'm happy, thanks.
Telemarketer: But Mr. Moore you are paying too much money.
Me: That's not the issue, loyalty is my point.
Telemarketer: But Mr Moore, loyalty is not putting extra money in your pocket.
Me: Well, as I said money isn't the issue, I have plenty.
Telemarketer: But Mr. Moore everyone can use extra money every month.
Me: No, extra money means nothing to me it's about being loyal and thankful for my former employer for providing me with so much, sticking with them as my electric supplier is the least I can do in return.
****Now I've been talking for almost 7 minutes to this woman, she must think I'm about to crack, she's CRAZY! I never crack.****
Telemarketer: Mr Moore, I will be saving you money just let me send you the
Me: [click]

30 seconds pass.... and the phone rings...
Telemarketer: Mr Moore, what happened?
Me: I hung up the phone.
Telemarketer: Why did you do that, do you not know I'm trying to save you money. Don't you understand English?
****remember this is an Indian/Pakistani woman with a very heavy accent**** I'm nearly hysterical with her last comment...
Me: (I can't not do it, I mock the accent) Obviously better than you do. [click]

She didn't call back so it was probably the accent causing the comprehension problem on her end.

So, I've decided sometimes when the notion strikes I'll just have some fun with them and while I'm jerking them around they are leaving some other unfortunate person alone. Some of them are really not very courteous though as they hang up on me, very soon after I start - hey, they expect me to listen so why don't they - I have to work on my technique. If the "Do Not Call List" obviously means nothing, then maybe my number will become infamous enough they'll leave me alone, yeah well I can always hope. Yep, I am admitting it, I've become a crotchety old curmudgeon.

I can't wait for spring so I'm not home when the darn phone rings.
Maybe I ought to get a day job? OMG, it's really getting bad if I'm thinking about going to w-o-r- k.

So, I guess it's off to Walmart for a new air horn, I can just see the little buggers ripping off their headsets now...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 04:30 PM   #2
joedog

I'll keep it short.

If your on a do not CALL LIST.
SIMPLY GET THE PHONE NUMBER OFF OF CALLER ID AND REPORT THEM.
AGGRESIVE STATES will PURSUE THEM AND YOU MAY EVEN GET A PORTION OF THE FINE.

REMEMBER THOUGH, MOST DO NOT CALL LISTS YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AGAIN LIKE ONCE A YEAR OR SOMETHING.

I WASN'T BORED IN THE LEAST!
Keep trying though, you just may out do me......some day.
Old 02-27-14, 07:01 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I'll keep it short.

If your on a do not CALL LIST.

REMEMBER THOUGH, MOST DO NOT CALL LISTS YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AGAIN LIKE ONCE A YEAR OR SOMETHING.

I WASN'T BORED IN THE LEAST!
Keep trying though, you just may out do me......some day.

I was gonna mention that as well.
Another thing to keep in mind, you need to register your landline and cell at different places.

I had a great comeback dealing with an e-mailing scam artist a few years back. May have been here. I'll have to look for it.

BTW....I was never bored with your rant lol!
Swear to God, I would highlight one hilarious part to quote...then change it to another quote in the next paragraph!
Great work!
Old 02-27-14, 07:34 PM   #4
lilmule

Lol I just answer in soumia-finnish,like to see them find an interpeter.
Kittos Hyvia
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 07:59 PM   #5
MallenManson

I'm confused....I figured my telemarketer reply was eith here or at sports-boards.net.

No luck either place
Old 02-27-14, 09:01 PM   #6
Marty

Quote:
So many of these calls are from out of the country that we can't do anything about it.

In the USA penalties are small and the fines are just a small cost of doing business.

So it's tough to escape them.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 09:43 PM   #7
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
So many of these calls are from out of the country that we can't do anything about it.

In the USA penalties are small and the fines are just a small cost of doing business.

So it's tough to escape them.
I like the air horn idea.
The best I ever came up with was a coach's whistle ; )

I hate those bastards so much (telemarketers, not coaches whistles), that several years back, a worthless GF of mine got a job as a telemarketer job with Kirby. I gave her 2 choices. Quit imediately or git your **** n git out
Old 02-27-14, 11:47 PM   #8
keithdog

Luckily, I don't get many calls from telemarketers. I might be getting more than I think, but I have caller ID, and if I don't recognize the name, or if the caller has a block so he can't be identified, or there is no ID and I don't recognize the phone number, I simply refuse to answer the call. If it's someone who is legit, they can leave a message. Many years ago though, when my oldest boy was about 2 years of age, I would tell the telemarketer to talk to the boss, and hand it to my son. Matt just LOVED chatting away on the phone. And I got a good laugh watching him. Of course, after a few minutes, he would be talking to himself on the phone and I would hang it up. Hmmm, Matt is too old for that now. Maybe I'll just have to get myself a well trained parrot.
Old 02-28-14, 01:13 AM   #9
joedog

Well I don't even know if I get calls.
I never even answer my home phone and after 6 rings it gets switched straight to the fax machine.
If you've ever accidentally called a fax line.....I think you know the results.

Other than clients, everytime I need to give a phone number on a form they get the home phone number.

Now here's the thing that will anger you even more than the call itself.
Quess the number one SELLER of name lists in America.

YOUR LOCAL DMV!

They make a fortune on selling your info to tellemarketers.
Costs $500+ for a thousand names.
Your birthdate, your address and yes your phone number.
The list seller has to tell buyer who's on the do not call list BUT.....they still give them the phone number.

The 'do not call list' is just another 'feel good' law the Gov't has put in place.
Basically worthless!
Old 02-28-14, 08:02 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

While I agree telemarketers are annoying I understand that it's a very cost effective way to sell whatever they're selling and I don't blame the individual caller for fitting in to their employers business model. (full disclosure...I sold memberships in Direct Buy for many years and every single presentation I made and every membership I sold was a result of some hard working local girl slaving away on the phone every night to set my appointments).

NOW as far as outsourcing the call centers.......that's another story altogether. Not one to make harsh judgements about entire countrys, but Indians........jeez...after spending my entire adult life in sales I don't recall selling anything-ever to a "Patel". Strange considering that they obviously own "stuff".
Old 02-28-14, 09:41 AM   #11
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I work from home. My clients sometimes give my phone number to their contacts on construction projects. I feel obligated to answer the phone even if I do not recognize the number. If for no other reason than to keep my line clear. I hang up before they can even start their spiel most days.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 12:33 PM   #12
MallenManson

Several years ago, I was woken up by a telemarketer at 9 AM (as Stephen King calls it in his book "11/22/63" The land of AGO. At this stage in my life I can't stay up late enough to sleep till 9 lol

This woman was trying to sell me septic tank treatments.
Since she woke me up, I was already not pleased!

She made her pitch.....I told her I wasn't interested....she actually tried to guilt trip me!
Sir, you're not concerned with the life of your septic tank?
Knowing me like most of you do....I got a bit peeved at that question.....
I said something like "Lady, I built this house to re-sell. I don't give a flyin **** what happens to the septic tank after I'm gone. She actually hung up on me lol

Mallen-1 septic tank additive lady-0
Old 02-28-14, 12:37 PM   #13
MallenManson

BTW....I highly reccomend that book!

11/22/63
Old 03-09-14, 06:09 PM   #14
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First thing I want to say here is ... do NOT whistle or air horn the telemarketer. I have a major problem with the lazy S.O.B. taking government money to sit on his/her ***. The people who churn out kids because they get more money from the gub'ment to do so.
A telemarketer, although irritating, is at least a working and contributing member of society.

Second thing is ... I hate getting telemarketing calls. But my response is always the same ... "Hey, am I glad you called. I just started selling soy candles ... how many can I put you down for?"
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 07:39 PM   #15
bassboogieman

Sorry I disagree. They are audio home invaders and it's a shame you can't shoot them. You do understand that more than half of them are not USA citizens and therefore do not add or detract from the USA economy, not to mention some are pure scammers. So blast them with the old air horn at will.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 10:35 PM   #16
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Sorry I disagree. They are audio home invaders and it's a shame you can't shoot them. You do understand that more than half of them are not USA citizens and therefore do not add or detract from the USA economy, not to mention some are pure scammers. So blast them with the old air horn at will.
I agree 100%!

Several years ago, I had this girlfriend living with (sponging off) me.

I came home after work and she tells me she got a job....as Stephen King said in some collection of movies or other....HOLY O JESUS!!!!!!!

Needless to say....I was excited! Help with the bills!

Then she told me she got hired as a phone solicitor for Kirby.

I gave her 2 choices right then and there. Don't show up for work, or get out.

I have zero respect for telemarketers.
The whole "they need a job too" defense is bull****.

There is a special place in Hell for anyone who bothers me with a phone call that I don't want. Period
Old 03-10-14, 12:01 AM   #17
bassinbob

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I agree 100%!

Several years ago, I had this girlfriend living with (sponging off) me.

I came home after work and she tells me she got a job....as Stephen King said in some collection of movies or other....HOLY O JESUS!!!!!!!

Needless to say....I was excited! Help with the bills!

Then she told me she got hired as a phone solicitor for Kirby.

I gave her 2 choices right then and there. Don't show up for work, or get out.

I have zero respect for telemarketers.
The whole "they need a job too" defense is bull****.

There is a special place in Hell for anyone who bothers me with a phone call that I don't want. Period
Ok, now tell us how you really feel.
Old 03-10-14, 05:47 AM   #18
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

And don't hold anything back. Haha
Old 03-10-14, 09:20 AM   #19
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeeaaaah. Just remember, what goes around comes around. I know you all won't miss me, but I'll just step off this forum. People who would "air horn" another person on the phone also deserve the deepest pits of Hell.
No, I am not, nor was I ever a telemarketer. But I am human, and humane, which some of you obviously are not.

Y'all have a good life now, ya hear ?
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 05:06 PM   #20
MallenManson

That seems a lil extreme.....

It's got nothing to do with being humane.
It's all about respecting someone's privacy

On the "goes around comes around" comment...if anyone air horned me on the roof, they'd have a long drop and a sudden stop.
Old 03-10-14, 05:35 PM   #21
joedog

Ok, mikechell these are just friends sharing individual feelings and ideas.
NEVER take things personally.
Don't leave because someone feels different then you.
You may have been right?
I don't like the Policeman that works my nieghborhood.....doesn't mean I will disrespect him. But thats me...and if you want to go ahead. And feel free to share your thoughts!

The airhorn....maybe extreme.
I may even agree.
Personally if it happened to me.....YOU'D BE GETTING A CALL BACK EVERY HALF HOUR PAST MIDNIGHT FOR AT LEAST A WEEK. AGAIN COME BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER TIME. But thats just me.
I would be calling the 'do not call' folks and B***Hing at them.
Ken said his feelings and I also know I just may agree with him.
I too have been in sales my whole life.
I've had doors slamed in my face by people who ASKED for the information.
One old guy did this to me.
So I went around to his back door and knocked right away.
He answered the door and immediatly I said, "Boy am I glad you answered the door! The guy who answered the front door was really having a BAD DAY!
Anyway the reason I'm stopping by is.........

The guy broke out laughing. Bought my product AND gave me FIVE REFFERALS!

If it brings a smile to you, blow your horn.
If you appreciate someones actions, thank them.
Bottom line is...do it because of your thoughts and feelings, not because someone told you that you should.

And mallen...with your women luck...I'd go see if I could find the telemarketers number. You may have let the best one slip through your fingers!

And invading privacy....AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS CALL SCREENING ON THIER PHONE?

Friends and Bruce thanks for the thread and posts.
MAN life is BORING when everyone agrees!

Seems just like the good old days!
And I love it!

Oh and lastly, I RESPECT EVERYONE....in material of your job or chosen career.
Heck there are probably guys just the opposite of Mike and FORCE thier partners to telemarket.
Till I walk in other peoples shoes (I got real small feet...here come the zingers) I will not condem ANYONE!

oh this pleasant post only is for American Workers.....F**K those foriegners! And NO I don't walk in SANDALS!

Last edited by joedog; 03-10-14 at 07:59 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 05:44 PM   #22
joedog

Oh and Bruce....you had 61 lines and I had only 43.

You KNOW I LOVE Ya MAN!
Old 03-10-14, 05:48 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok, mikechell these are just friends sharing individual feelings and ideas.
NEVER take things personally.
Don't leave because someone feels different then you.
You may have been right?
I don't like the Policeman that works my nieghborhood.....doesn't mean I will disrespect him. But thats me...and if you want to go ahead. And feel free to share your thoughts!
And this will piss everyone off.
Why is it written in stone , that because you joined the service...I'm obligated to thank you.
Most here don't live in LA but the gangs there send thier recruits into the service just to teach them to FIGHT.
They then come home and teach the homeboys everything THEY learned and how to do it to regular people.
Just because you were in the service does in NO WAY mean you earned anything put life long health benefits.
Hell when I was a boy, more than one friend got the option of jail or service. They were still S***H**Ds when they came out.
I have way to many Veitnam friends who were treated like S**T when they came home. AND THEY WERE DRAFTED!
Now it's written that if you joined the service and never even saw active duty...you deserve something special. Maybe it was the only job you could get?
Just like the telemarketer!

The airhorn....maybe extreme.
I may even agree.
Personally if it happened to me.....YOU'D BE GETTING A CALL BACK EVERY HALF HOUR PAST MIDNIGHT FOR AT LEAST A WEEK. AGAIN COME BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER TIME. But thats just me.
I would be calling the 'do not call' folks and B***Hing at them.
Ken said his feelings and I also know I just may agree with him.
I too have been in sales my whole life.
I've had doors slamed in my face by people who ASKED for the information.
One old guy did this to me.
So I went around to his back door and knocked right away.
He answered the door and immediatly I said, "Boy am I glad you answered the door! The guy who answered the front door was really having a BAD DAY!
Anyway the reason I'm stopping by is.........

The guy broke out laughing. Bought my product AND gave me FIVE REFFERALS!

If it brings a smile to you, blow your horn.
If you appreciate someones actions, thank them.
Bottom line is...do it because of your thoughts and feelings, not because someone told you that you should.

And mallen...with your women luck...I'd go see if I could find the telemarketers number. You may have let the best one slip through your fingers!

And invading privacy....AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS CALL SCREENING ON THIER PHONE?

Friends and Bruce thanks for the thread and posts.
MAN life is BORING when everyone agrees!

Seems just like the good old days!
And I love it!

Oh and lastly, I RESPECT EVERYONE....in material of your job or chosen career.
Heck there are probably guys just the opposite of Mike and FORCE thier partners to telemarket.
Till I walk in other peoples shoes (I got real small feet...here come the zingers) I will not condem ANYONE!

oh this pleasant post only is for American Workers.....F**K those foriegners! And NO I don't walk in SANDALS!
You lost me on those points
Old 03-10-14, 07:56 PM   #24
joedog

Ya lost me too.

Came from another conversation on my reaction to complimenting and thanking A Vet. Actually a Marine.
He asked my why I thanked HIM.
Said I didn't know him so how can I thank him when I don't know him.
Don't anyone THINK I'm not gratefull.
Because I in no way was being anything but.
He said it and I guess it got me thinking. surprise, surprise

Wrong place WRONG time my apologies.
Mike thank you and I'll probably go back and fix it.
Thanks!!
Old 03-11-14, 12:14 PM   #25
MallenManson

It's all good Joe.

I wasn't offended or upset or anything.
Just kind of lost ' )

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.