Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-03-09, 10:42 AM   #1
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jon Boat Mods???Anyone?

So I have couple Jon Boats and have researched for quite some time now about moding them with decks and storage. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on my 14' Jon and mod that bad boy and airbrush something cool on it.

Does anyone here have Jon Boats that they moded? Even simple mods, I want to see them. Thanks PICS Please
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 11:10 AM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I was really impressed with what this guy did to his 14 ft jon.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=17978

Here is another good resource for tin boat conversionswww.tinboats.net

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 11:33 AM   #3
WaffleJaw

as a matter of fact Im currently converting my 14 ft fiberglass jon boat to a bass boat...i just started two weeks ago and i have an album under my profile that Im keeping the progression pics under....theres only 3 right now,haha.i just started....just about to start all the fiberglass repair.....

anyway that tinboat website has some really good conversions.....also here are some good ones i found for ideas:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Johnboat Conversion Ideas !!!!!

just google jon boat conversion and alot of stuff comes up.....if done right,you can do it fairly cheap!!....

good luck,and post pics!
Old 08-03-09, 11:40 AM   #4
sac

Thanks Woody, That's basically what I'm going to do to mine. I've been a member of tinboats.net for awhile now, I just wanted to see what folks on this site have for Jon Boats.
Old 08-03-09, 11:42 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

another good conversion...sorry i forgot which link it was:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D40%26um%3D1
Old 08-03-09, 01:02 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

Pure novice, but seems to me a lot of these conversions don't use treated or marine grade wood because of the cost...I got the impression they didn't even use a good "deck paint" before laying the carpet - they used the logic that my boat doesn't get sopping wet and the cost was too high.

Still, it seems to me this is kinda penny wise and pound foolish and I'd think if you were gonna build a nice deck like those, you'd wanna use marine grade so it would really stand the test of time.... (down the road somebody's gonna have a boat with a rotted deck and say, they built the deck with regular plywood!?@#).
(Just my novice $.02)
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 01:34 PM   #7
sac

I've heard from many people that the chemicals in the Marine grade wood reacts with the aluminum brackets and causes galvanic corrosion. Instead use regular wood and water seal it with like Thompsons Water sealer.
I'm still on the fence about this(marine or water treated lumber). I know for sure I don't want my casting deck rotting out from under me
Old 08-03-09, 01:44 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
I've heard from many people that the chemicals in the Marine grade wood reacts with the aluminum brackets and causes galvanic corrosion. Instead use regular wood and water seal it with like Thompsons Water sealer.
I'm still on the fence about this(marine or water treated lumber). I know for sure I don't want my casting deck rotting out from under me
im using the fiberglass resin to coat all the wood that i will be using.....also using stainless steel screws.

but as long as the wood is treated...it should be fine....the thompson water sealer should be fine.
Old 08-03-09, 01:49 PM   #9
sac

For the amount of fishing I'll be doing with the boat, sealed wood will be more than enough protection. Stainless hardware for sure.

I'm starting the painting process soon, and I'll start a progress thread about it when I get some momentum..........and some room in the garage to work lol
Old 08-03-09, 02:35 PM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You can simply make a casting deck! Just take a 5' piece of plywood, and make sure it's wide enough to fit over the front of you boat. Bolt it down, and you got your self a casting deck! But some green paint of that bad boy and you're ready to go! you can also take some industrial strength to make a rod holder to put on the casting deck for an easy way to grab you rods in a pinch! Also make sure to add out door carpeting to the deck!

Hope this helps! And YOU gotta post pics when you're done!
Old 08-03-09, 02:56 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

I'd think the fiberglass resin would be good, but more difficult to apply than say a deck paint - in any event, sealing it well is a good idea ensuring a longer life.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 03:11 PM   #12
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
You can simply make a casting deck! Just take a 5' piece of plywood, and make sure it's wide enough to fit over the front of you boat. Bolt it down, and you got your self a casting deck! But some green paint of that bad boy and you're ready to go! you can also take some industrial strength to make a rod holder to put on the casting deck for an easy way to grab you rods in a pinch! Also make sure to add out door carpeting to the deck!

Hope this helps! And YOU gotta post pics when you're done!
I'll put the outdoor carpet that looks like grass with a Daisy here and there

Well first is paint, thinking of airbrushing a bass on the side. Maybe paint it black and do True Fire. I think deciding on what paint scheme will take the longest of this build. Pics for sure
Old 08-03-09, 06:37 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:

Well first is paint, thinking of airbrushing a bass on the side. Maybe paint it black and do True Fire. I think deciding on what paint scheme will take the longest of this build. Pics for sure
lol, I DARE you to do it!

IMO, camo would would look sweet!
Old 08-03-09, 09:20 PM   #14
DelaWhere
BassFishin.Com Member

Make sure your boat is wide enough for a deck. Even if its 36'' wide its still a little sketchy to stand and fish especially with a partner. I have a 12 footer with a floor and a small deck on the front for my troller. I also used regular plywood with a sealer and never had a problem.
DelaWhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 10:03 PM   #15
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

why not use all aluminum it may be expensive but itll last a hell of alot longer
Old 08-06-09, 01:19 PM   #16
crankybait

Quote:

Eh True fire is overused, IMO. But the idea of fire on water itself is cool, haha. I'd go water, ice, lightning or something of the sort. Just bad elements while out fishing.
Old 08-06-09, 03:30 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
why not use all aluminum it may be expensive but itll last a hell of alot longer
Um...you answered your own question...

I agree with you though...I like solid metal myself.
Old 08-06-09, 04:04 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaWhere View Post
Make sure your boat is wide enough for a deck. Even if its 36'' wide its still a little sketchy to stand and fish especially with a partner. I have a 12 footer with a floor and a small deck on the front for my troller. I also used regular plywood with a sealer and never had a problem.
my boats got thompson waterseal on its regular plywood floor, and when the transom broke out on memorial day, it was 2" in the back, and it dosent have a problem...yet
Old 08-06-09, 04:17 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Um...you answered your own question...

I agree with you though...I like solid metal myself.

yea my first idea for mine was to use aluminum to make the casting decks....i heard it was lighter.
but price wise,i dont think its do-able.....i just got 2 gallons of fiberglass resin and hardner from my buddy....so i got way more than enough to treat the wood.....i took a 4 day weekend this weekend to work on it.....Im really hoping to have the hull patched,sanded,and tested for leaks by the end of it....then on to primer and paint,lol.......progress pics in my album.
Old 08-06-09, 07:52 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
yea my first idea for mine was to use aluminum to make the casting decks....i heard it was lighter.
but price wise,i dont think its do-able.....i just got 2 gallons of fiberglass resin and hardner from my buddy....so i got way more than enough to treat the wood.....i took a 4 day weekend this weekend to work on it.....Im really hoping to have the hull patched,sanded,and tested for leaks by the end of it....then on to primer and paint,lol.......progress pics in my album.
Yeah, aluminum is nice, but if you really want to do it up right, and by yourself, you need a sheet metal brake, and a drill press and a bead roller wouldn't hurt. But there I go again, overkilling everything.

Looking forward to more pics, Waffle.
Old 08-07-09, 09:25 AM   #21
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Eh True fire is overused, IMO. But the idea of fire on water itself is cool, haha. I'd go water, ice, lightning or something of the sort. Just bad elements while out fishing.
Believe me I know how over done true fire is, that's all people ask for anymore. But I think it would be cool on a Jon Boat I've been asked to do some fun stuff lately, so that makes up for it.

Metal deck would be ideal, but way more than I want to spend on this project. Plus, it would just get covered up with faux grass anywaylol
Old 08-07-09, 09:29 AM   #22
nofearengineer

I'd like to see a jonboat painted in wood. Like a dinghy.
Old 08-07-09, 09:48 AM   #23
sac

HMMmmmm.....I like that, I'll keep that in mind when decided on the paint. Nice one!
Old 03-07-10, 11:02 PM   #24
Mark Moore
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My 14FT Jon Boat Project

Quote:
So I have couple Jon Boats and have researched for quite some time now about moding them with decks and storage. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on my 14' Jon and mod that bad boy and airbrush something cool on it.

Does anyone here have Jon Boats that they moded? Even simple mods, I want to see them. Thanks PICS Please

I just finished my Jon Boat project.... I just wanted an all electric bass boat

If you want to see all the pictures, I have them all posted from the begining to the end (100 pics) on my facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/NiceKentucky...1&id=606104975
Mark Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 08:08 AM   #25
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Very Very nice boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.