Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

View Poll Results: Which type of line should I spool my Pflueger President Spinning reel with?
Braid 8 50.00%
Monofilament 3 18.75%
Fluorocarbon 4 25.00%
Other Superline / Fireline 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-09, 11:44 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Time to spool the Pflueger President...

Okay, I’m going to get my Pflueger President Spinning reel spooled up this weekend. I’ve gone back and forth between Mono and Braid. I’ve heard both sides pros/cons from anglers that fish for all types of species. Some say they use braid for everything. Some say mono is all you need just get the correct test for your situation. Some say they use fluoro for just about everything. Some say fluoro doesn’t work to well with spinning gear. So I thought I’d take a poll and feedback from the real anglers, all of you guys. So vote with confidence and conviction. D-Day is this Friday.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:49 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well do you have other rods? If you don't, and this is your only rod, I would go with braid! If it's for finesse fishing, I'd go with 8 - 10lb monm OR 8lb flouro.

Where and what are going to be using it for?
Old 06-10-09, 11:51 AM   #3
nofearengineer

It depends on what you're using it for, as well as what kind of reel it is. If you're going to be cranking with it, where the fish aren't so much "felt" as they hit it like a freight train, go with cheap, dependable mono. If you're going to be drop-shotting with it, go with braid and a fluorocarbon leader. Use your imagination, and in the end, go with what works best for you.
Old 06-10-09, 01:00 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i voted other...i like p line 12lb test...10lb on a spinning reel should do good.
Old 06-10-09, 01:31 PM   #5
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What size of a President did you get? I have 3 of them on the 30 I have 30lb powerpro with an 8lb fluoro leader and use it just for Shaky Head. The other two are the 35's and have 10lb fluoro on them and used for tubes. If you follow Kevin's spooling technique video and use a line conditioner you shouldn't have any issues.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:07 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sorry, not nearly enough info.

What size reel is it?
What kind of rod you putting it on?
What technique are you fishing with it?
Is the water clear?
Are you fishing any soft cover? (weeds and stuff)
Are you fishing any hard cover? (Rocks, wood, docks, etc)

BB
Old 06-10-09, 06:02 PM   #7
fish4942

I have the 6730.

My main use for it is going to be big catfish. I’ll be going deep with the bait. I’m sure I’ll occasionally tie on a worm or crankbait when I’m making a quick stop at a pond or lake. But it will definitely be used for catfish or whatever else is creeping around down there that may want to take a bite of my bait.
Old 06-10-09, 09:50 PM   #8
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
I have the 6730.

My main use for it is going to be big catfish. I’ll be going deep with the bait. I’m sure I’ll occasionally tie on a worm or crankbait when I’m making a quick stop at a pond or lake. But it will definitely be used for catfish or whatever else is creeping around down there that may want to take a bite of my bait.

I would have bought the 6740 if you were going to use it for catfish. That reel (6730) is meant for 8lb line.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 09:37 AM   #9
BigBassin144

You could have even gone to the 6750. I really don't think you should use the 6730 for big catfishing, it only holds 115yds of 6lb test. That begin said, I'd put 10-20lb braid on it with a fluoro or mono leader of about 8lbs. Or you could use all 6-8lb mono. I'd stay away from fluoro on a reel that small.

But if you're gonna catfish with it, use 20lb braid which has the same diameter as 6lb mono. I'd suggest Sufix Performance Braid.

BB
Old 06-11-09, 10:44 AM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
I have the 6730.

What do consider big? Like, 20lbs?

Well, I would have to say put some 20lb braid on there, it's thin and strong, than but on a 40lb mono/flouro leader!
Old 06-11-09, 12:07 PM   #11
fish4942

I actually have the 6735, 10 bearing with an MH IM8 graphite 6’6 rod.

I’ve been leaning towards the braid because of the small diameter. As far as how big of catfish, I can’t say for sure. As big as I can catch I guess. The lakes and ponds I’ll be fishing has recorded catfish as big as 125lbs. But it’s not like that’s the average or anything.
Old 06-11-09, 12:25 PM   #12
BigBassin144

I wouldn't use that combo for catfish at all though. If you are still going to, put 30lb braid on the 6735. If not, you can go with 10 or 20lb. On the 35 for bass I'd put 6-8lb mono on it or MAYBE fluoro.

BB
Old 06-11-09, 01:02 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
I actually have the 6735, 10 bearing with an MH IM8 graphite 6’6 rod.

I’ve been leaning towards the braid because of the small diameter. As far as how big of catfish, I can’t say for sure. As big as I can catch I guess. The lakes and ponds I’ll be fishing has recorded catfish as big as 125lbs. But it’s not like that’s the average or anything.
Okay, since it's the 35, I'd go with 30lb braid!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.