Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-26-09, 07:44 PM   #51
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
i recomend the gravity fed. it allows you to look under your hand onto what your painting, and not over.

but thats just me. i've airbrushed model cars and didnt like my siphon gun at all . i've used the gravity, so i'm hoping to get one soon, so i can get back to paintin

This is the reason I try and tell folks to get there hands on one to try before they buy if at all possible.....everyone is different.....I absolutely hate the gravity feed cups being in my line of sight.....I look down the top of the airbrush to see what I'm doing, not under my hand.....each to his own

I like the siphon feeds because I can hang a 4oz bottle of paint below my airbrush, and not need to add paint all day....where as the cups on gravity feed brushes are relatively small and require you to continually add paint if you paint much anyway......otherwise I love my side feed brushes.....they give me the same advantages as gravity feed, but no bowl in my way that I have to look around,over, or under....lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 10:16 PM   #52
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
This is the reason I try and tell folks to get there hands on one to try before they buy if at all possible.....everyone is different.....I absolutely hate the gravity feed cups being in my line of sight.....I look down the top of the airbrush to see what I'm doing, not under my hand.....each to his own

I like the siphon feeds because I can hang a 4oz bottle of paint below my airbrush, and not need to add paint all day....where as the cups on gravity feed brushes are relatively small and require you to continually add paint if you paint much anyway......otherwise I love my side feed brushes.....they give me the same advantages as gravity feed, but no bowl in my way that I have to look around,over, or under....lol.

yeah, well theres the advantages and disadvantages to both i guess.. your right on the big bottle of paint.
Old 06-27-09, 04:19 AM   #53
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
First off....do you already have an aircompressor? If you do then you can pick up a decent airbrush kit for $60-$75....there are cheaper ones out there if you want to look around, but remember that an airbrush is just like our fishing equipment.....you get what you pay for, and cheaper isn't always better...even for a beginner.

You can pick up a Paasche VL set...or an Iwata Eclipse or something equivalent that will work fine for painting cranks.....but i'd recommend doing a bit of research if I were you to find what type of brush you might like best....gravity feed or siphon feed....i've posted a fair amount of info on this very subject over at the TU.com forums if you want to read more.

For what its worth I became alot better artist once I got use to my first airbrush......for some reason I was alot better with it then I was with pencil or brush.....go figure.
Yep, I have an aircompressor. Good old TU. I haven't been there for a while. I will search over there.

Thanks to you and MR Photographer for your input on the two types. I am a visual learner just off the bat, I think I would be more comfortable look on the top as you do as a first guess. I could be wrong (and have been in the past. I initially thought I would like RH casting reels off the bat, but I was completely wrong).
Old 06-27-09, 04:20 AM   #54
islandbass

UPDATE: 06-26-09

Simply Unbelievable! Praise the Lord!

3:00 PM

I got to my “home” lake (Steel Lake) to give my crankbait its maiden trial and to get its action on video for the archives. Although it was a bit of a challenge to troll the crank and film at the same time with my limited capability digital camera I managed to capture what I needed.

Next, I tried to film a cast but wasn’t too successful. I reeled the crankbait to about 10 feet from the dock and stopped to put away the camera when all of a sudden, an 18” bass comes out of nowhere and zips right up to my floating bait to within kissing distance. It stops, circles it like a shark and swims away.

My excitement level shot up a bit. Next cast, nothing. After a few more casts, a school or about 10-12 baby bass come out to inspect it and turn away.

The positive thing is that it has gotten the bass’ attention but something was missing from the equation that prevented them from committing to strike. I rubbed some Megastrike on it, casted it out, and got a hit! Unfortunately, I acted like a dear in the headlights and the command from my brain to my hand to start reeling was left in the queue and not getting through. Bottom line was I lost this one. I had to pick up my son from school so this session was over.

8:00 PM

Enter lake number two, Bradley Lake. I make it to the floating dock that was already occupied by a few people. I made a cast right next to some submerged grass and my son tried his hand at reeling one cast in. A few more casts (all of these cast in only about five minutes), SMASH!!!!! My rod slammed down hard and the two guys next to me immediately took notice.

This time, instinct took over and not the deer in the headlights action that happened earlier. I don’t know what is wrong with me, but I have been “Iaconelli’ing” it lately when I have hooked into decent-sized fish. I was shouting out things like, “Yeah!! That’s right!! Yeahhh (mental fist pump)!! My first fish on a homemade lure!! Yeahhh (mental double fist pump)!! Yeah (mental high five)!! That’s right, baby!!! Yeahhh!!! I embarrassingly concede that everyone within a 150’ radius heard me because a group of people suddenly appeared along the bank on both sides of the dock.

I knew I had a good-sized fish on but something was telling me it was probably not a largemouth bass. A large, silvery-pale torpedo shaped body nearing the water’s surface confirmed it. It was a trout. A big trout! I was not targeting, but I will take it.

I observed that the trout hammered the belly treble quite aggressively, such that it wasn’t going to come off. My Shimano Curado 101D and Clarus trunk rod made short work of this most excellent battle. The gentleman next to me was kind enough to offer his net and assistance. I carefully guided the trout into the net.

I removed the treble, took two photos, measured her, revived, and released this beauty as soon as I could. She swam away just fine.

She measured 20” and I give a best guess estimate weight of maybe 3 lbs.

My heart was still pounding and my hands were still shaking ten minutes after this blessed experience as a million thoughts coursed through my mind:

1. The first fish off of my first homemade crankbait.
2. The first fish I ever caught out of Bradley Lake after numerous attempts through two seasons.
3. The biggest trout I ever caught in my life.
4. Holy Smokes! The trout bit all the way through to the balsa!

This lure making journey has really come full circle, from inspiration to conception, from to construction and examination and culminating into a hooked and landed fish.

My son reminded me that I promised to take him to Krispy Kreme for a treat, and who would I be to disagree? After all, this was definitely an occasion to celebrate.

A photo of the lake; You can see the dock in the background.

Lastly, I would like to say it was a pleasure to meet Tom and Chris who were also fishing on the dock. Thanks for bearing with a long-winded story, but I am unable to keep it contained.

-ib

Last edited by islandbass; 06-27-09 at 10:26 AM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 08:01 AM   #55
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IB, that's great! and a nice looking trout! I have to say you've inspired to me try my hand at lure making. I guess I'll have an advantage since my dad's got a ton of wood working tools at his shop though. Can you get Balsa at like Wal-mart or something?

BB
Old 06-27-09, 10:53 AM   #56
islandbass

Yes, you can get balsa from WalMart. If your WalMarts are like mine, there should be balsa. Just head on over to the craft section. Now you might be the only guy in there, but go ahead.

Best of luck. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 06-27-09, 11:18 AM   #57
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

i did skip a few posts so just look pass if this has come up before but have you thought about painting before you put the bill, and hooks? it would allow for you to be more carefree, not so much with the brush but if you decide to get an airbrush.
Old 06-27-09, 04:27 PM   #58
islandbass

Adding the lip later sounds like a great idea and makes a lot of sense. I'll do that for the next one. I always add the hooks after all is said and done as you recommend. Thanks.
Old 06-27-09, 05:43 PM   #59
Jim80

Nice IB glad it is working out for ya you'll have a bass haning off the end of that thing in no time .

jim
Old 06-27-09, 05:46 PM   #60
MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Yes, you can get balsa from WalMart. If your WalMarts are like mine, there should be balsa. Just head on over to the craft section. Now you might be the only guy in there, but go ahead.

Best of luck. I look forward to seeing your progress.

oh looking at balsas not bad.

how about looking for a scrapbook for a girl

man all these fine girls were walking by laughing at me, so i acted like someone was calling, and was like, Hey baby, where did you say that kit was at?

then the fine girls went away
Old 06-27-09, 08:28 PM   #61
66KingFisher

Congrats on the catch....nice trout.....and great story.....your hooked now, so i'm sure they're will be more in the future.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 10:48 PM   #62
bcklash

Great story IB, that has to be an awesome feeling.
Old 06-27-09, 11:38 PM   #63
1/4 stick

Great job IB and congrats on the nice fish! That was a beauty. I think the paint job looks pretty good myself, and apearently the fish like it too.
Old 06-27-09, 11:39 PM   #64
1/4 stick

Quote:

man all these fine girls were walking by laughing at me, so i acted like someone was calling, and was like, Hey baby, where did you say that kit was at?

Buddy, if that's the worse thing a woman ever sends you out for... You're a lucky man. There are things far, far more embarasing and scary even.
Old 06-27-09, 11:47 PM   #65
MrPhotographer06

haha nah i just completely bs'ed the phone call. i've been sent for worse

well IB you've inspired me

got some balsa from my uncle who builds model airplanes.

its about 1" by 4" x 12"

i wish it was a little thicker, but i should be able to make a good many out of it
Old 06-28-09, 12:03 AM   #66
1/4 stick

Good luck Mr. Photo! I made one out of pine a couple years ago but never tried it out because I won't happy with my paint job. I might give it another go.
Old 06-28-09, 03:42 AM   #67
islandbass

Right on! With that 1" width, you could actually split a section of it in half to make two flat crankbait . The crankbait I made is just over 1/4" wide. I also see minnow style and fat cranks coming out of that. Good luck and keep us posted.

I see you have discovered the other reason to visit the craft section. The girls aren't going to be found in the fishing section.
Old 06-28-09, 09:17 AM   #68
Jim80

Quote:

Smooth you are not man , you should have asked them to help you pick one out .

Jim
Old 06-28-09, 09:47 AM   #69
MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Right on! With that 1" width, you could actually split a section of it in half to make two flat crankbait . The crankbait I made is just over 1/4" wide. I also see minnow style and fat cranks coming out of that. Good luck and keep us posted.

I see you have discovered the other reason to visit the craft section. The girls aren't going to be found in the fishing section.

actually, in our walmarts they come looking for guys in the fishing sections.

most girls i talk to, i'd say i'm comming over to [insert city here] and i've gotta run by walmart and pick up some fishing stuff.
oh thats where all the cute guys are

i know anthony and i were in walmart and these two good looking girls were behind us. well i noticed, and i said lets see if those girls are looking at fishing stuff, or looking at fishing guys, so we walked by the plastics, picked up some, walked to the turkey stuff, got a turkey call, went over to the boat stuff, got something, and back to the plastics. well it seems like they wanted some fishing and hunting stuff too. well we turned around on them and went to go talk to them, and they saw us, and quickly went down some other isle hahahaha

I'm hoping to get a couple fatties out of this piece of wood. its gunna be a nice little project, but i believe i can get 12 or so out of it, so i most likely will get an airbrush here in the near future.
Old 06-28-09, 03:47 PM   #70
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Great job man!! Looks like a great crank! I think I might make a crank before a rod quiver... but I'm not sure! Maybe a popper would be easier! But ya, what ever I make I'll let you know!
Old 06-28-09, 11:56 PM   #71
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
actually, in our walmarts they come looking for guys in the fishing sections.

most girls i talk to, i'd say i'm comming over to [insert city here] and i've gotta run by walmart and pick up some fishing stuff.
oh thats where all the cute guys are

i know anthony and i were in walmart and these two good looking girls were behind us. well i noticed, and i said lets see if those girls are looking at fishing stuff, or looking at fishing guys, so we walked by the plastics, picked up some, walked to the turkey stuff, got a turkey call, went over to the boat stuff, got something, and back to the plastics. well it seems like they wanted some fishing and hunting stuff too. well we turned around on them and went to go talk to them, and they saw us, and quickly went down some other isle hahahaha
after the story you just told us about the girls,,,
Quote:
I'm hoping to get a couple fatties out of this piece of wood. its gunna be a nice little project, but i believe i can get 12 or so out of it, so i most likely will get an airbrush here in the near future.
this sounds a little different than crankbait making! lol

sorry guys just had to share...
Old 06-29-09, 01:46 PM   #72
MrPhotographer06

ahhhhahaha

wow.

thats pretty messed up, and i said it
Old 07-02-09, 09:58 PM   #73
MrPhotographer06

i'm gunna probally chop that piece of balsa up tommorrow.

i'll most likely go with the sandpaper route, since i couldnt find an xacto at walmart today.

plenty of blades, just no xacto.
Old 07-03-09, 01:00 PM   #74
islandbass

The blade just speeds things up a little. You can use sandpaper all the way. Keep us posted!
Old 07-03-09, 05:44 PM   #75
MrPhotographer06

eh, never got around to it. i'll try it around my busy schedule tommorrow.

i've gotta order some lips too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.