Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-18-10, 03:36 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Dobyns Rods vs. G Loomis

Although I haven't fished my Dobyns Champion enough to write a full review, here's a comparison of the Champion 733C to a G Loomis MBR843 IMX.

SPECS - The Champion is 7'3" MH power and F action. The IMX is three inches shorter at 7', and is also a MH power and F action.

WEIGHT - The Dobyns weighs in at 4.50oz. The IMX weighs in at an extremely close 4.45oz. While the Dobyns is 3" longer, the IMX adds weight with a full handle and front grip.

BALANCE - Both rods balance about the same, an inch or so in front of the reel seat with both of their respective reels. The IMX is paired with a Daiwa Zillion (8.6oz) and the Champion is paired with a Daiwa Viento (8.3oz), so they are very close weight wise. The balance on the Loomis is great for a 7' rod, so it's even better considering again the extra 3" on the Dobyns.

HANDLES - The Champion sports a very nice looking split grip handle, topped off with accent cork rings and the Dobyns Rods logo in the butt cap. The IMX has a full handle and a rubber butt cap (sometime I'd like to see improved on a rod of this price range). The handle on the Champion is about an inch shorter than the IMX. The cork also seems to be a higher grade on the Champion and Dobyns makes use of filler to give it an even cleaner look.

Butt Caps (G Loomis on the left, Dobyns on the right)

Handles (Dobyns on top, G Loomis on the bottom)

Both rods feature Fuji ECS reel seats. The Champion lacks a foregrip while the IMX has the standard G Loomis foregrip.

Reel seat (Dobyns on top)

Foregrips (Dobyns on top)

The hook holder on the Champion is mounted at a 45 degree angle on the left of the rod. The IMX is mounted at a 90 degree angle, and in on the right side of the rod (however, this varies and I have seen them on both sides of the rod).

Hook Keepers (G Loomis in the foreground)

GUIDES - The Dobyns Champion Series rods all feature Kigan SiC guides, while the G Loomis IMX rods feature Fuji Alconite guides (which I think is something else that should be upgraded on these rods). The IMX features 9 guides plus the tip, while the Dobyns has 10 plus the tip. All the way up the rod, the Kigan guides are slightly smaller than the Fujis. While the Kigan guides do not claim to be set up in a system similar to the Fuji Concept Guide System, they do seem to be set up similarly to the Fujis.

First Guide (G Loomis on left, Dobyns on right)

Tips (G Loomis on Left, Dobyns on right)

The wraps on the Loomis are plain and dark colored to match the blank while the Dobyns features black wraps with silver highlights. The wraps and epoxy are done more nicely on the Champion, and I have seem Loomis IMX rods that are worse than this one in terms of craftsmanship.

The wraps and another look at the guides (G Loomis on top, Dobyns on the bottom)

POWER - Both rods live up to their MH power rating, although the Champions seems very slightly stronger. This may be due to the added length. Have not had trouble handling any fish on either rod and don't expect to. (although I haven't hooked into anything big on either of them)

SENSITIVITY - So far, I've found the sensitivity of these two rods to be on par with each other. The Loomis seems slightly more sensitive, but I've attributed this to the use of braided line on that rod versus the fluorocarbon used on the Dobyns.

The full review of the Dobyns Champion will be done in a month or so, depending on how much I get to fish it. (hopefully a lot )

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 06-18-10 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Accidently put MBR844, when it should have been MBR843.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 03:50 PM   #2
nofearengineer

Excellent write-up, BB.

Maybe if I can make it to the Ohio thing, we can compare both of those to my Extremes and Kistlers. I know they're not truly "comps" but close enough.
Old 06-18-10, 03:58 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Excellent write-up, BB.

Maybe if I can make it to the Ohio thing, we can compare both of those to my Extremes and Kistlers. I know they're not truly "comps" but close enough.

Yeah, I guess me and Ryan need to get going on that, lol.

BB
Old 06-19-10, 10:00 AM   #4
Bassboss

Sweet Anthony! Can't wait for the more detailed review! Also I'm guessing that they both have single footed guides, other than a first 3 or 4?
Old 06-20-10, 12:22 AM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very nice write up! I don't know what blank Dobyns uses but I imagine they are on par with the IMX blank. The Fuji Alconites are great guides but I agree that titanium framed SICs would be more fitting on a $200+ rod. I also think the 45 degree hook keeper is a interesting idea.

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-20-10 at 11:53 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.