Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-26-07, 10:57 AM   #26
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the Vanish Transition, it's never let me down in a year of fishing it. It 's all about tying a good knot though, the palomar knot is what I use with the vanish. Give it a try and spool it correctly, tie the right knot, and keep checking your line while fishing for kinks and burrs.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 12:37 PM   #27
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Does it kink up a lot? I plan on using 14LB on my baitcast and 6LB on my spinning outfit.

-LL-
Old 11-26-07, 01:13 PM   #28
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Do what you want LL but I wouldn't by Berkley Vanish or Transition. I've had it break way to easy and if you look at tests done on Fluorocarbon lines it rates the worst in several catagories. If you want a good FC line then try XPS or Seagar Invis-X. Those 2 I like for the money and I've tested several brands.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 02:38 PM   #29
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey LL, I am with bassaddict on the Transition. It does have a gooddeal of memory. I tried it and the first day I liked it. Then it just started to be a problem. Remember this. Floro lines sink. If you are wanting a fast fall of a little more depth in your crank they will do that. If you want a slower fall a lo-vis mono will most likely be a better choice. Fish2win
Old 11-26-07, 05:21 PM   #30
lunker-lander

OK Guys, but I can rarely find any other fluorocarbon line in 14LB test except Vanish. Invis-X only comes in 12 or 15LB. And by the way, I want the line to sink, I am primarily using it for PNJ's and drop-shotting.

-LL-
Old 11-26-07, 06:00 PM   #31
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
OK Guys, but I can rarely find any other fluorocarbon line in 14LB test except Vanish. Invis-X only comes in 12 or 15LB. And by the way, I want the line to sink, I am primarily using it for PNJ's and drop-shotting.

-LL-
Man get over the 14lb thing. Get 16, or 12 or something close, but 14lb isn't a "NEED THING", it's a "I WANT THING". As for line sinking, PNJ's and droppshotting are done with "WEIGHTS". So the line sinking isn't a issue, either add a heavier weight, or lighter weight. But the line sinking is irrelevant, because these techniques, with the exception of the Fall of the PNJ, are done with tension on the lines.

Lizards
Old 11-26-07, 06:10 PM   #32
lunker-lander

I WANT 14LB though, because any higher diameter line will hold less than 100yds on my reel.

-LL-
Old 11-26-07, 06:47 PM   #33
links_man2

Been using P-Line CX Premium 20# for soft plastics for 1+ years, with no problems. The heavier lines (any of them) will have some memeory, but I have found KVD Line & Lure does a good job of curing that. Have used Gamma Hi Perf Copoly 14# for cranks & top water for 1+ years, again no problems. Use 50# Power Pro for flipping and some jigs.

Had been using BPS XPS Fluoro in 15# for cranks for about 8-9 months and liked it. Recently got some Vicious Fluoro 15# for cranks and so far I really like it. I especially like the Vicious price. It is about 1/2 the price of the BPS XPS Fluoro which is cheaper than most other Fluoro's.

Also, I fish 3-4 days a week so I put lots of wear and tear on my line.

You probably notice I use heavier test line than most. My primary lake is solid Salt Cedars down to about 25'. Mixed in with lots of the salt cedar is hydrilla in the warm months. So if you want to land a fish, you need to go pretty heavy.

Just as an FYI, I have found the best way to get the KVD Line & Lure is to order direct from RMR Industries, especially if you order the 2 or 4 bottle pack.

http://www.rmrindustries.com/store/d...d=2&category=3
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 10:07 PM   #34
Bob Smith

Smile

Here are a couple of interesting line tests conducted by some down to earth folks. In order to appreciate the full effect of what they did watch then first link the watch the sequel. It may change the way you look at the flourocarbons vs Mono, then again it may not. I still use Flouro for most of rigs that require leaders. Main reason is that I feel that they are more sensitive than the monos. I am not big subscriber to the visibility discussion. I have encountered only a couple of bodies of water (Amistad for one) where the water was super clear, but even then witht he right conditions line size and color didn't make a difference. If the fish liked your offering they ate it, period!
Enjoy the read.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Last edited by Bob Smith; 11-27-07 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 12:09 PM   #35
bassnman30

Watching the line ? With a crankbait, I'm confused.
Old 11-29-07, 12:52 PM   #36
garry_3000

Yes watch your line with an crankbait. As with any other lure in your boat or bag if you see your line doing something strange or it is no longer tight set the hook.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 06:34 PM   #37
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30 View Post
Watching the line ? With a crankbait, I'm confused.
i have to EXPLAIN this to YOU??!!! dam wonders never do cease huh?.. ok "slick" get out your note book.

when using deep diving cranks, if you are like me retriving at an angle to the bait. the line will show every tick, twitch,and light tap takin by the crank bait. most of these light contacts will never be felt in the rod blank as the lure action will cover them up.. to achive this line watching trick you must use a line easily seen in the water..

i picked this lil trick up watching a pro -wont say who- fishing a hole at the holloway church road bridge-ya do know where this IS don't ya??-

zooker
Old 11-29-07, 06:44 PM   #38
lunker-lander

Hey Zook, about how many yards are there of 15LB is a 1/4 pound spool?

-LL-
Old 11-29-07, 07:08 PM   #39
lizardsrule

Quote:
I WANT 14LB though, because any higher diameter line will hold less than 100yds on my reel.

-LL-
If you ever a catch a bass that spools you over 50 yards, it should be the new world record rotfl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Here are a couple of interesting line tests conducted by some down to earth folks. In order to appreciate the full effect of what they did watch then first link the watch the sequel. It may change the way you look at the flourocarbons vs Mono, then again it may not. I still use Flouro for most of rigs that require leaders. Main reason is that I feel that they are more sensitive than the monos. I am not big subscriber to the visibility discussion. I have encountered only a couple of bodies of water (Amistad for one) where the water was super clear, but even then witht he right conditions line size and color didn't make a difference. If the fish liked your offering they ate it, period!
Enjoy the read.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

I knew I liked you However with me, your preaching to the choir

Lizards
Old 11-29-07, 08:24 PM   #40
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
I knew I liked you Lizards
Sure glad somebody does!!

With regard to line vs crankbaits my favorite is 10 or 12 LB Trilene XL clear. The reason I like it because it cast easier and you can fill your reel with it for those record sized Largemouth without fear of spooling (). Besides a full spool cast easier and farther than one that's partially full.
Old 11-29-07, 08:42 PM   #41
lunker-lander

Anyone have an answer to how many yards of 15LB line are on a 1/4LB spool?

-LL-
Old 11-29-07, 08:48 PM   #42
senko

Quote:

-LL-
try to google it... btw like Mr. Smith said the diameters of lines differ by company even if it is the same pound test.
Old 11-30-07, 06:41 AM   #43
1FASTLASER

Quote:

With regard to line vs crankbaits my favorite is 10 or 12 LB Trilene XL clear.
I am gonna chime in here abit just for the sake of the conversation. Long time ago I use to use Trilene XL for crankbaiting but then only when I was fishing relatively structure free lakes. If I went to any lake that had a good amount of structure I used to cringe at having XL on because I knew it cant take a nick and not break. Well since then I have changed up my preference of lines. Now I AM talking about 15 yrs ago. Since then there have been huge advancements in line technology. One of the big pluses I like is the superior breaking strength of todays lines and as well the abraision resistance. I find that there are alot of people that are still using XL. Could you elaborate a little more or am I missing something.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 11-30-07 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 09:42 AM   #44
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
I am gonna chime in here abit just for the sake of the conversation. Long time ago I use to use Trilene XL for crankbaiting but then only when I was fishing relatively structure free lakes. If I went to any lake that had a good amount of structure I used to cringe at having XL on because I knew it cant take a nick and not break. Well since then I have changed up my preference of lines. Now I AM talking about 15 yrs ago. Since then there have been huge advancements in line technology. One of the big pluses I like is the superior breaking strength of todays lines and as well the abraision resistance. I find that there are alot of people that are still using XL. Could you elaborate a little more or am I missing something.
I just moved to Georgia in June of this year, until then I have fished all of the North Texas Lakes, East Texas, Central and South Texas lakes. Not unlike Arkansas, these lakes are loaded with timber, rocks, some even have old cactus, mesquite, and wesatch trees (hardwood and pine stumps don't come close to the sharp edges these trees have), I have caught bass up to 9.44 lbs (many in the 5, 6, 7 and 8 pound range) on DD-22s in these lakes on the very line that I mentioned. To say that I didn't have to re-tie on occasion would be a stretch, I did, but I watch my line regardless of what line I am using so re-tying is a common practice. I am not sponsored by anybody so I am not selling this stuff, it just works for me. BTW it faired pretty good in the test links I gave you guys also.
Old 11-30-07, 03:24 PM   #45
zooker

Quote:

-LL-
it aint such a simple answer...every line,type,brand,ect has it's own diamater. hence the thicker the line the less line on a givin spool size..

they are VERY few brands of line sold in 1/4 pound spools any more.. they are just off the top of my head ande,cajun red,sea striker,tripple fish and stren big game. i am sure there is more..

now if you are refuring to a "filler spool" of line that is about all ya get 150 yards or so...

now as for your continued WHINNING about line pound test diamter to yardage readins.. on your reels these are BULLSH!T!!! it is a FORMULA that the reel companys use to base there "profit" margin on more than what you actually can put on the reel..-if filled correctly- 90% of the time they base this line/dia./lenth formula on 10 pound stren extra tough mono.-which is one of the largest dia per pound test lines you can actually buy...- spider wire super mono i think is the thickest btw-

now you know...now shut up about it....

zooker
Old 11-30-07, 07:55 PM   #46
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

zooker
Amen.....................
Old 12-01-07, 10:53 AM   #47
eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
it aint such a simple answer...every line,type,brand,ect has it's own diamater. hence the thicker the line the less line on a givin spool size..

they are VERY few brands of line sold in 1/4 pound spools any more.. they are just off the top of my head ande,cajun red,sea striker,tripple fish and stren big game. i am sure there is more..

now if you are refuring to a "filler spool" of line that is about all ya get 150 yards or so...

now as for your continued WHINNING about line pound test diamter to yardage readins.. on your reels these are BULLSH!T!!! it is a FORMULA that the reel companys use to base there "profit" margin on more than what you actually can put on the reel..-if filled correctly- 90% of the time they base this line/dia./lenth formula on 10 pound stren extra tough mono.-which is one of the largest dia per pound test lines you can actually buy...- spider wire super mono i think is the thickest btw-

zooker
Come on Zooker, tell him how you really feel. Has anyone tried Gama Edge?
eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 10:56 AM   #48
links_man2

Quote:

....Besides a full spool cast easier and farther than one that's partially full.
Agree that full spool cast further. So what I do is fill about half the spool with cheap line then splice to it with double Uni and finish off the spool with the line I will use.

As far as mfr having different diameters for the same # test, I have 3 spools of Gamma Copoly all 14# test but two say .012 in/.36mm and the other says .014 in/.36 mm. Never had seen a sliding scale for in to mm!

So Lunker if looking for 14# so you get the 100 yds, you better check with reel mfr to find out what size 14# they used to get the 100 yds.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.