Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-03-08, 11:48 AM   #1
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Deep Water

Guys im going to try some deep water fishing im still new at that. If i wanted to fish some drop offs near like a river channel or something like that what would you guys be looking for in deep water. And also what kinda bait would you think would be the best like a carolina rig, texas rig worm or a drop shot(never done that one) Any help would be appreciated thanks guys
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 04:15 PM   #2
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you can find an item that looks like it should hold some fish and it's not too deep, then I go to a deep diving crankbait. I.e Zoom, Poes, DD22, Excaliber etc..
Now if they are slow in reacting then I go to a carolina rig.
Old 06-03-08, 05:12 PM   #3
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

How deep of water are you talking about? Like bassnman said use a crankbait to search the point. Start off in 5' of water and work your way down the point until you find the fish. The river channel is an excellent place. Try to find were the point and the river channel intercept, or any kind of U in the channel or S-Bend etc. Anything that is different.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 05:17 PM   #4
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Not sure as in how deep just trying to find some bigger fish. How deep do you guys like to fish if looking for a school of big bass or at least bigger than what i have been catching shallow.
Old 06-03-08, 05:24 PM   #5
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't fish over 25-30'. Just because you are fishing deeper doesn't mean you will catch bigger fish though. What about weed beds, stumps, etc.?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 05:34 PM   #6
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Well i will be at ky lake so im just going to see how it goes i hear there are good fish there
Old 06-03-08, 06:09 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRACER93 View Post
Well i will be at ky lake so im just going to see how it goes i hear there are good fish there
Kentucky Lake in June can be awesome! Look for ledges and humps that top out in about 10 to 15' of water dropping off sharply in to the deeper river channel or creek channels (intersections of the river and creek channels are definite plusses!). C-rig french fry style worms, Big Joe's 4 and 5" Horizontal jigging spoons or Strike King's Sexy Shad spoon will help you load the boat. Just idle around and find those locations that have baitfish and arches then go to work!
Old 06-03-08, 06:26 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

in the heat of summer ya got think currant flow. even in lakes there is a currant. seeing that is a large area to cover here is some short cuts.. the outside creek channel bend the currant moving thru the creek channel will over flow on to the flat above. any thing on this flat that is bigger than a basket ball will hold fish. be it rocks ,stumps,brush piles.. always cast up stream and work the bait with the currant. bass will face into it.. use either a carolina rig or a deep diving crankbait as search baits.. if your getting wacks or hook a small fish then get out the heavy t-rig or a pnj and drag it thru the same place...

zooker
Old 06-03-08, 07:32 PM   #9
JB

I look for suspended fish over water that is deep, and fish that level vs. bumping the bottom every time i graph a lunker on the bottom..depends on how fast or slow ya wanna fish that day IMO...and this year its all been about the power fishing 90% of the time......so far..it will slow down in mid summer.
Right now the walleyes and smallmouth are on fire at brookville lake, its back to the shallower water 3-15 ft
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 10:51 AM   #10
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am with Bob on the advise he give you for Ky Lake in June. There is one more method I would add. Its called power jigging. Use a real heavy jig and pork. Cast allow the lure to fall to the bottom. Them jerk it up as hard as you can. Follow the lure back down as it goes to the bottom. Most strikes occur as the lure is falling. You want a real heavy jig so that it kicks up a little silt when it lands. Use the stiffest rod you have. A 7 or 7 1/2 foot rod wont hurt anything. Fish it on humps and drops to 20 feet. Fish2win
Old 06-04-08, 12:56 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRACER93 View Post
Not sure as in how deep just trying to find some bigger fish. How deep do you guys like to fish if looking for a school of big bass or at least bigger than what i have been catching shallow.

"deep" is a realative term, what is deep to you may not be deep to me or the other way around. you see to a lot of guys 40 feet of water is deep, but here on table rock 60 feet is really that deep. i have caught most of my better fish in 30-40 feet of water if that helps you any. i really like throwing a football head jig in deep water (not because i own a jig company, but a football head jig is a great deep water bait). a carolina rig is another good bait for deep water bass. also a lot of the time the fish may be over 30 or 40 feet of water, meaning they are out deep but suspended........here a crankbait dropshot would be my choice most of the time. hope this helps.
Old 06-04-08, 12:57 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

and remember, the deeper the water, the slower you need to drag your bait to keep it in contact with the bottom.
Old 06-04-08, 03:46 PM   #13
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for all your help i will post ad let you know how it goes
Old 06-04-08, 04:29 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Speakin' of a carolina rig, did anyone notice in Hank Parker's section of the May/June Bassin' article whoever drew the carolina rig picture drew it wrong? They put the weight/bead on the leader...lol.

Good article though.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 12:33 PM   #15
keithdog

I have a question dealing with deep water bass fishing. How does one go about using a carolina rig when your working deep water brush? It seems to me the rig would get constantly snaged and tangled in the brush. In my lakes, even trying to work it through weedbeds is a very aggravating experience with the rig getting bogged down so heavilly in weed matter that it's useless. Sorry TNRACER, not tryiing to hijack your post.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 12:52 PM   #16
bassnman30

keithdog,
If you have less items on your line (like clackers,beads etc..) you'll get hung up less. If you hop your bait vs. dragging your bait you'll also get hung up less.
Yes, I do get hung up on these items but thats a way of reducing the hangups.
I'm sure that you can get more info. on this site.
Old 06-08-08, 01:30 PM   #17
zooker

keith
the only way i know to lesson hang ups is going old school. stop thinking egg sinkers or parisite weights..think t-rigging. a t-rig comes thru grass and trees better than any known weight system why?? the bullet head..instead of plunkin a 3/4 oz egg sinker on your line try this. place one 3/8 oz bullet pointing up your line. add a bead then place a second 3/8 oz bullet pointing DOWN the line then add a second bead. tie on the lower c-rig configuration-swivel,leader,hook,ect- this bullet shaped rig goes thru grass much better than anything else...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.