Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-10-05, 10:06 PM   #1
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default how to work a rubber worm

i have tried the soft plastic worms and have never caught any thing on them i was wondering how you rig and work them.

please state what type of cover and water conditions

alot of people critisized me because i have never caught a fish on a plastic worm but what can you expect im only 16

thax for any information
Old 11-10-05, 10:32 PM   #2
KH.

well rob, it matters what type of worm you are fishing,there a re many ways to rig it
1) The Texas rig was the most popular worm technique years ago and still is popular today. This is where you take a bullet weight of your choice (I like 1/8 ounce) and a 2/0 offset hook. Attach a worm by running the hook through the head and come out about 3/8 of an inch below it. Twist the hook 180 degrees around and embed the point into the worm making sure the barb is embedded also. Make sure the point is not exposed. The weight and hook should vary with the size of the worm.

It doesn't matter how deep the water is, you can fish this rig right down the bank if you like. When you are ready to use it, look for stumps, timber, grass or creek channels. Cast the bait out in your favorite spot and drag the worm back through and over logs, stumps, or vegetation. It is weedless with the hook point embedded like this. When a fish hits this bait, there will be a "tap-tap" or the line will move off. Either way, drop your rod tip. reel in all the slack and set the hook!

When you set the hook and miss the fish, reel in and check your bait. If you set the hook hard enough the worm will be pulled down by the resistance of the water. If you leave it out there the exposed hook will hang up on everything. Keep your rod high as you are reeling so the bait will ride over the stumps and keep from hanging up.

2) The Carolina rigged worm was a technique used on the tournament trail as opposed to being used by the average angler. It was a guarded secret by the Pro's for a long time. It was a very productive means to catch fish under adverse conditions. This rig is where you have a leader about 2 feet long and the bait is away from the weight. You can use this in shallow or deep water also. You can use the new Carolina keeper set-ups or use the traditional swivel. Some like the swivel because you can use light line on the leader. This is a must sometimes. I have found days where someone using lighter line caught more fish than the ones that didn't. So keep this in mind when the bite is tough.

The heavy Carolina is my main choice in May and June. I use 20 pound line and a ¾ ounce weight and a 2/0 hook. The Carolina rig is a good summer and fall tactic. Humps, roadbeds, points and submerged grass are perfect place's to fish with it. Sometimes the Texas rig will not work. I will make up a light weight Carolina with a 1/8 or 3/16 weight and fish it in the shallow water. This will sometimes salvage a fishless day. The Carolina rig is very productive when the bite becomes slow. Most fishing guides will get a Carolina rig in their customers hands before the day is over.

3) The wacky worm or trick worm is any worm hooked in the middle. I have two worm styles called "stud fries" and "ring fries". You use a regular open hook or a weedless wireguard hook - whatever you prefer. You can put a split shot on your line if needed or put a nail in the head of the worm if the wind is blowing. I normally fish this bait without a weight either around the banks, boat docks, piers or timber in 1 to 8 foot of water. Sometimes just a slow twitch with a stop and go retrieve is all that's needed when the bite is tough. After a cold front this will get you a bite when the fish get lock jaw . I have had to go to 8 or 10 pound line on a spinning rod to get a bite. This is a very productive bait in the spring when the fish react to pressure or cold fronts. Work the bait slowly with a slow sweeping motion or a twitching stop and go retrieve.

4) The weightless worm is where I Texas rig a worm and use no weight on it. This is like fishing a jerk bait. I throw it around logs, trees, and vegetation in the spring. I twitch this bait and let it sink. This is a very effective way to catch more fish. I have used lizards in the spring. A nail or a very small split shot well work if the wind is blowing. I like to use this when the top water bite starts because you can throw it into and over grass.

Well I hope this is some help to you.
Old 11-10-05, 10:36 PM   #3
Fishie

Use a texas rig for starters and take your worm and throw them around any brush, stumps, grass, you can hit with your casts and jiggle them around by the cover a little and let it fall to the bottom breifly then sit a second and shake or jiggle around a little more. Usually hits come as you start to move the worm or as it is falling. After you master this rig master the dropshot rig then the carolina rig. If you throw your baits around this stuff enough you are going to get hit a lot. Feel your line with your finger tips when working the worm back to you and watch the line for indication the fish has got your bait. As soon as you get hit reel up some slack and hammer the hook home. I see too many people get the rod over their head. Keep it in tight to your body, you will have more leverage and be able to set the hook harder this way. Hope this helps you out. I usually use a 3/16 to 1/4 weight on most worm setups. Now go get them!
Old 11-10-05, 10:40 PM   #4
KH.

With A Wheighless Jerkbait,my Strikes Mostly Come Right After The First Peroid Of Rest When Its Falling, With The Texas Rig It Seems Like More Strikes Come When Its Falling Also, Ill Move The Worm And Just Feel Pressure
Old 11-11-05, 12:31 AM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bk, try fishing it weightless. Rig it like you normally do, but no weight. Cast it out, let it settle, and work it with gentle twitches of the rod tip. If you feel a hit, set the hook. Sometimes you won't. though-your line will start moving off, or your bait will feel heavy. Set the hook in both cases.
Old 11-11-05, 08:08 AM   #6
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

One method that also goes weightless as Rebbasser posted is to cast out the weightless worm near likely cover/structure and let it fall to bottom.....watch your line carefully at all times.......most often your strikes will come on the fall.....but if nothing takes the worm...simply let it set for 30 seconds, then gently and s-l-o-w-l-y lift the worm about two feet to feel for fish.....if nothing on, and you are at the top of your two foot lift, give a little flick of the wrist, just a quick flick to jerk your rod tip about5 or 6 inches...then let the worm re-fall to bottom.....this time, though, let it set for only 15 seconds before lifting slowly and flicking again...after this second flicking and falling, lift one last time..if nothing on, reel in at a moderate pace and cast to another likely spot.

When you texas rig the weightless worm, it's best to use a worm with no tail, in other words, a finesse worm. These are the best of all worms for this slow fall-deadsticking presentations and they fall in a flat out horizontal manner.

If you T-Rig a tailed worm, the tail will drag and the worm will immediately assume a nose down attitude and will race to the bottom. If you only have worms with the tails on, try this........instead of rigging in the nose and coming out the side of the worm....when starting to rig, move the hook down the worm a bit and go in the side and out the side before turning the hook for the last point through insertion. Once you find the magic spot exactly where to put the hook and get the horizontal flat out fall, the rest of the worms will be easy to rig.

A note about using weights......It's my personal preference to use as light a weight as possible when fishing worms.......I want just enough to get the lure to bottom if I am going to work the worm for example in deep water. A sixteenth ounce weight is my usual choice, sometimes a thirty-second of an ounce weight. Now, if the wind is up and I'm drifting too fast to get the worm down, I'll switch to an eighth or thee sixteenth ounce weight. At any rate, the lighter the better. I have a friend who experimented with weight when fishing (jigging) grubs. He used a spreader in his tinkering and found that the fish prefer the more lightly weighted soft plastics almost every time when given a choice. At any rate, I definitely think you will catch more fish on the lightly weighted lures.

Good fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 06:49 PM   #7
bass kicker

thanx for all the information on using a worm it will all come in handy next time im out on the water
Old 11-12-05, 10:48 PM   #8
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I usually fish my worms texas rigged or weightless.

A lot of similar traits between all plastics. Reread my tube article and you can use almost 90 percent of that article and use it on a worm.

PM me with your aim or aol and I will help you more.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.