Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-22-06, 02:15 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default rotation of baits

if i am setting up to go to say highrock lake i know what colors an baits are working.

i normally have a 4 rod set up. that i rotate thru as fast as every 2 cast or chunk for an hour.. my basic set up is a shallow crankbait,a medium crankbait,a texas rigged plastic, and a spinnerbait. this does not mean thats all the rods i use..

when fishing an area such as docks the depth finder tells me how deep the water i under the boat if i am sitting in 20 feet of water i use the medium diver as it wll contact bottom more than the shallow diver. most docks on that lake are in the 8-15 feet range.. my patterns lately have been free fallin a heavy t-rigged 8" worm down vertical suports on docks.. and cranking a shallow diving crank between the docks..i have only been on this pattern for ohh i don't know try 2 months.. so i have been working a heavy worm free fallin in it on the corners. then switching and making long bank smacking cast to the bank and bringin it out on a medium retrive..the bait again depending on the depth of water.

when fishing rock piles. my additional pattern has been a carolina rigged lizard and a pnj on rock piles up to 20 feet deep..

i have had very limited laydown bites on the "rock" this year.. i keep searching for the blade bite in the laydowns but so far it has not shown up..

zooker
Old 10-22-06, 03:12 PM   #2
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good post Zook......I am looking at gettting into tournaments this year( yeah I probably said that one last year) but when you guys fish tournaments what are the rods that you guys have tied up with what baits typically. Say you had a tournament that went from 6AM to 3 PM and it was a one day what would you bring? Didn't mean to hijack your post Zook......

Typically I will tie on a shallow crank or rattletrap and trap the banks this time of the year and if that doesn't pay off I will start throwing dropshots and worms....lately on a c rig to deeper channel spots or points hoping to pick up some fish.....if that doesn't work then I will try wacky worming or a senko.
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 06:06 PM   #3
zooker

well fishie since your bound and determinded to jack my thread i supose i should answer that..

i typically use 6 rods fishing as a non boater..they would be during the summer the 6 rods mentioned above.. i would switch out the c-rig rod once the water falls under 50 degrees with my jerk bait rod. i am not found of a top water bite as it is fairly unreliable-meaning they are there today but not tomarrow- depending on my prefishing game plan. the baits i would use i may even throw in a spinning rod..

always have a back up plan. i have had as many as 3 rods go down in a tourny.-ok it was a LOOOONNNGGG tourny-
using your head and thinking ahead has saved me a lot of time..i use one complete pocket on my 3700 extreme bag as reel pockets. if you are using a spinning reel have the spare spool loaded and available when the primary spool starts to do the twisty thing. 30 seconds and you will change the spool retie and your good to go.. i have at least 2-3 spare bait casting reels both left and right handed. when you get a monster back lash simply change reels. it really is just that easy..of course if you are the boat owner you can have as much crap in the boat as you want. as a non boater i like to stay fairly well organized. don't hunt for tackle KNOW where it is..

zooker
Old 10-22-06, 07:39 PM   #4
Fishie1

Thanks zook.....biggest thing is going to be deciding what to bring to the lake.......I won't be prefishing like I said What would you guys bring to fish the back of the boat on
Lake of the Ozarks....clear lake
Truman
Table Rock ?

Zook I never thought of bringing reels in case of back lash or the spinning reel thing....some great tips from a veteran!

Someone help me out with a list for these categories for backboat tourney fishing...

1. Softbaits
2. Cranks
3. Jigs
4. Spinnerbaits

Thanx
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 07:58 PM   #5
zooker

rythm and flow fishie. the smoother you can go from one to another the more time you can fish baits in the water means more fish -can't catch fish if you aint casting-

zooker
Old 10-23-06, 10:52 AM   #6
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Rattle traps. One rod and one reel.
Over 14 lbs Sat and over 20 lbs yest.
Old 10-23-06, 05:47 PM   #7
zooker

are you sure 14 pounds?? i heard differant..

zooker
Old 10-24-06, 08:58 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie1 View Post
Thanks zook.....biggest thing is going to be deciding what to bring to the lake.......I won't be prefishing like I said What would you guys bring to fish the back of the boat on
Lake of the Ozarks....clear lake
Truman
Table Rock ?

Zook I never thought of bringing reels in case of back lash or the spinning reel thing....some great tips from a veteran!

Someone help me out with a list for these categories for backboat tourney fishing...

1. Softbaits
2. Cranks
3. Jigs
4. Spinnerbaits

Thanx

I always bring too much stuff rotflmao Just remeber to give the boater gas money, and be prepared to fly around. Lot's of folks decide they have to power fish in tourneys.

Lizards
Old 10-25-06, 04:56 AM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
I always bring too much stuff
this i belive is a vast under statement..

zooker
Old 10-25-06, 06:58 AM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
this i belive is a vast under statement..

zooker

rotflmao

Lizards
Old 10-28-06, 07:39 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Hmmmmm Excellant thread ZOOK ole buddy. When going fishin be it a tourney or a day on the water I firmly beleive If ya aint got it you might miss the bite but at the same time I try and organize as to the season. I carry 14 rods at all times and each has its own job to do. 6 on the deck and the rest in the locker if needed they are there. When choosing what baits are in the bags it depends on what time of year. Say its prespawn I have the baits that have been the most productive in spawn foe me in the past with some variations. Fall of the year has me leaning more towards fast and flashy baits so I gear up accordingly.
Old 10-28-06, 02:34 PM   #12
zooker

yeah does that inculde beggin me to build ya another stien??

zooker
Old 10-28-06, 10:23 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-06, 11:06 AM   #14
Jolly

When I fish a tourny, I usually (depending on the time of year) have a tw, drop shot, crank bait, t-rigged somethin, carolina rig, weightless worm/fluke tied on at all times. Usually have two rods for each so that if I break or backlash, etc, I have a backup. Also, I always carry two spinning rods and reels w/ nothing but line on em, and three back up baitcast reels in the box just in case. Obviously way too much equipment, but I am prepared for anything. But I usually have the boat to my self.

Be as organized and as descriminating as you can about which rod you bring (since your in the back of the boat). Talk to others that have fished the lake an look at past reports to narrow down your equipment (obviously). It's rare that you'll see a pro with 2 rods on the deck an nothing else, however, rarely do you see them with 20 rods all over the deck w/ backlashes and all his bags out (that's why I will never be a pro). The guy you fish with will thank you for it and you will be a much more productive tourny angler.

If I was you I would narrow it down to 6 rod/reels. Since you are in the back of the boat, be proficient at your knots, respooling and organize your equipment bag so you can change quickly since you will be limited with your backups! Not being able to find what you want or worse forgetting it could cost you a tournament. Also, have several spools of medium mono since you will use it for most applications. Although I have never fished those lakes or know where they are for that matter, bass are still bass and your still in the back of the boat. So: 1 rod/reel for spinnerbaits/crankbaits (oh yes it can be done), 1 heavy/long rod for jigs/heavy t-rig/carolina rig, 1 rod for smaller/lighter soft plastics like small t-rig/grubs/drop shot/whacky (probably a spinning med or med-h), 1 rod/reel for weightless worms/wacky/flukes, and 2 rod/reels as back ups. Limiting yourself to just 6 rods will make you be proficient w/ them and work on your technique for every bait you use. If theres room for more, bring em' but most front of the boat anglers will bring every rod they own to a tourny (me included) limiting the guy in the back of the boat to the left over storage.

Hope this helps and good luck in the upcomin tourny's!!

Jolly
Old 10-29-06, 09:02 PM   #15
1FASTLASER

LOL Well if beggin gets the job done plezz plezz plezzzzzzzzzzz LOL If folks only knew what the stein is capable of in the hands of a knowledgable angler at this time of year!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.