Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-07, 08:20 AM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default my first tourney a blow

well, i had a tourney this weekend at lake murray,south carolina,blast-off was at 8 and weigh-in was at 4. we left at 6 and my friend decides to eat at hardees,so we eat there and go on our way. we have already wasted 30 minutes. we get to the boat ramp 5 minutes before blast off and it takes him 30 minutes just to back the trailer down the ramp! we get the boat into about 3 feet of water and it is still on the trailer because the power wont work. turns out the guy left the master power switch on ALL night and we had no battery at all. i was so angry! we are offered help by other anglers,but he refuses,there was even a guy who offered us one of his batterys. but he just packed everythingup and we went home. i couldnt beleive it,thats the last tourney i fish with him! ok,i'm done lol!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 09:01 AM   #2
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

dang....that would suck bigtime and I would have shot the guy........yah don't fish anymore with that guy cause looks like he's more into hardees than bass....
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 09:36 AM   #3
HOG Ranger

That does suck. Leaving the master switch on should not have drained the battery unless something else was turned on. That would be my last time to fish with that guy!

What the heck took so long to launch the boat?
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 10:13 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the more you fish tourneys the better prepared you learn to be...if the boater needs practise launching the boat or backing it down the ramp, take a few hours days beforehand and get some basic skills down...
Theres nothing worse than having a long line of competitors waiting for you to put in...normally 5 minutes is all ya need to get in the drink..
Other things to consider, test the electronics beforehand, the trolling motor have a charge? does it work? etc...
Always have a lake map and areas to hit before hand to, and prefish or scout the lake before hand too...
We always have had at least a half hour or hour check in for tourneys, or ya don't get to fish the tourney..
Have the lures you are going to try first tied on, and have your gear stowed in the boat before ya hit the ramp...all saves time and gives you more time to fish, and it won't wear on ya the rest of the day.....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 11:09 AM   #5
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Yeah, what they said! It sounds like you need to find another guy to try to fish with if you can, tournaments can be very fun, but not if the guy in charge of EVERYTHING can't get it together!

JB - you forgot time to put the sunscreen on the ink, I'm normally out of my shirt and shoes by sun-up
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 01:48 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
I'm normally out of my shirt and shoes by sun-up
i dout this will happen knowing you have a tourny in a couple weeks..

skeeter
you had a sh!tty partner.. boaters response ability is to make sure every thing is ready to go.. not th non-boaters.. now there is /will be times when every thing starts out fine then turns to crap later on..-boy have most of us been here- it happens..

if this was a draw tourny i would have protested his sorry butt then and there..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 02-18-07 at 01:53 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 02:40 PM   #7
skeeter944

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
That does suck. Leaving the master switch on should not have drained the battery unless something else was turned on. That would be my last time to fish with that guy!

What the heck took so long to launch the boat?
he could'nt back the boat in and the battery for the trim switch was dead.
Old 02-18-07, 02:43 PM   #8
skeeter944

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i dout this will happen knowing you have a tourny in a couple weeks..

skeeter
you had a sh!tty partner.. boaters response ability is to make sure every thing is ready to go.. not th non-boaters.. now there is /will be times when every thing starts out fine then turns to crap later on..-boy have most of us been here- it happens..

if this was a draw tourny i would have protested his sorry butt then and there..

zooker
nope,it wasnt a draw zook,he was the only boater without a non-boater. i definitly wont be fishing with him again!
Old 02-18-07, 03:56 PM   #9
flbassman

Hope the next tourney goes better for yall....Least you got a nice breakfast
Old 02-18-07, 04:37 PM   #10
skeeter944

lol fl! yeah,it should go better.
Old 02-18-07, 05:03 PM   #11
JB

sterling, thats a mid summer pattern around here lol...plus it takes a gallon of sunscreen to cover dat ink! rofl
Old 02-18-07, 05:12 PM   #12
dampeoples

hehe, I was going to get me another dragon this month, but I got some dental work instead Maybe soon!
Old 02-18-07, 06:46 PM   #13
JB

I plan on getting mine finished when my buddy gets his bonus at work in march...but I try to get the repair bills paid before I splurge on some ink once a year
Old 02-18-07, 06:51 PM   #14
dampeoples

I like to get mine in the off season, give them time to set in before I get out in the sun daily! I might have missed it this year, but that's ok, I've got time
Old 02-18-07, 11:19 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Well now you've seen some of the bad in tourney fishing. There is more, but there really is a lot of good and fun in there too. All I can tell ya is that you learned something didn't you. If you learn something every tourney, then you'll be a better angler.

Lizards
Old 02-18-07, 11:29 PM   #16
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

all things being equal....the simplest answer is usually the right one.....(akam's razor).....get your own boat so you don't have to rely on someone else to call the shots for you......
Old 02-19-07, 05:43 PM   #17
Bassinkid

wow thats really tough luck. that guy is a quiter i wouldnt even do a tourney with him either
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 09:24 PM   #18
mount_111
BassFishin.Com Member

Default skeeter

hey skeeter, i was fishing in the columbia sc area this weeken and man was the wind blowing hard on the little lake we were on,I can just imagine what it was doing on murray, all we caught all weeleh was a 3lb er water was cold,cold,cold.
mount_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 10:47 AM   #19
skeeter944

cool! it was very cold! my club launched out of the rocky creek landing aka SCE&G 3. i think i could have caught a few to win the tourney,but it would have been tough.
Old 03-26-07, 11:31 PM   #20
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey skeeter, wow I definetly wouldn't fish with him NO more. I went to Murray for the first time with a buddy of mine that fishes out of Florence and Sumter and man we were on em we put in at Acualpoco and had a blast alot of 1.5-2.0 pounders mostly but I would rather cath those all day then 1 eight pounder
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 05:15 PM   #21
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite64a View Post
alot of 1.5-2.0 pounders mostly but I would rather cath those all day then 1 eight pounder
Well I would rather catch the eight pounder myself I've cuaght lot's of bass, but the big ones are the ones I love to catch, much more than numbers of smaller ones

Lizards
Old 03-28-07, 08:50 AM   #22
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Well I would rather catch the eight pounder myself I've cuaght lot's of bass, but the big ones are the ones I love to catch, much more than numbers of smaller ones

Lizards
I'll be glad to fish a tournament with you lizards you can have the 8lb-er ill bring my 5 2lb-ers and beat ya everytime unless ofcourse you catch 2 that day
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 02:51 PM   #23
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Theres nothing worse than having a long line of competitors waiting for you to put in...normally 5 minutes is all ya need to get in the drink...
WOW WE if you took 5 minutes at our ramp on a regular not even a tourney day you got people getting like this sometimes including me if you should know better, but if you just beginning I remember we were all once there! Nothing P's anyone off more at the ramp then leaving a boat tied up to the dock holding up the one side of the ramp unless it's a Dad with a bunch of kids, etc.

Christopher

P.S Skeeter sorry for hijacking but hey it happens sometimes!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:00 PM   #24
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite64a View Post
I'll be glad to fish a tournament with you lizards you can have the 8lb-er ill bring my 5 2lb-ers and beat ya everytime unless ofcourse you catch 2 that day
Now what makes you think in a tourney I'm not going for a limit first, and then the kicker? I said I would prefer to catch the 8lber, but it doesn't mean in a tourney I wouldn't want a limit? I do fish in tourney's and you still have to catch 5 keepers. "IF" I was fishing in a tourney against you, and "IF" I only caught the 8lber, I would perhaps not beat you "IF" you limited on 2lbers, and "IF" I didn't catch another keeper to go along with it, and "IF" that was how it went, then I'd still have "BIG BASS", and "IF" I just caught 2 other fish then I would beat you in that tourney. Awful lot's of "IF'S" isn't there rotfl. I hope you catch 5 2lbers in every tourney you fish, if you do, you will do very respectable over the long haul. I hope however that you catch a kicker a couple of times, just to put you over the top. Good fishing to you, and tight lines on those tourney days

Lizards
Old 03-29-07, 09:38 PM   #25
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
P.S Skeeter sorry for hijacking but hey it happens sometimes!
Re reading that that isn't what I meant. I meant sorry for Hijacking your post. And sometimes crap happens
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.