Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-09, 11:19 PM   #1
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Onboard Charging Question

Hi guys new to the board. Figured id throw my question out here and possibly someone can help. I am new to fishing/boating etc but tryingto soak up as much info as i can. My question is here. I have 2 12v's running together creating a 24v for my trolling motor alone. I have a cranking battery that does just that and has bilge pump and running lights etc. Just a few gadgets on the cranking motor. Ok i plan to install a onboard charger this weekend. So my plan is to get a 3 bank charger. Now it wont hurt to hook up 1 bank to each trolling motor battery equaling 2 banks and 1 to my cranking battery correct? I just dont want to effect any of the batteries in any way. Just making sure im on the right track here. My other question is when i do goto hook it up. Like on the 24v connection for the trolling motor its + to - . But on the onboard charger i would hook up pos and neg to one battery then the same for the next not crossing them right. I guess to make it simple it would be like connecting Pos plus Neg to my cranking battery. I wouldnt cross the + and - on the 2 12v's that are running the trolling motor if that makes much sense. Im trying to keep it simple but i guess im confusing myself lol. Anyways fellas hope you can understand what im trying to get at here. Thanks Jerry
jdk426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:29 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome young man and yes you are right on your hookups.
Old 07-15-09, 11:54 PM   #3
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

ty a ton i had the general idea just wanted some more knowledgable answers lol. And wanted to make sure that it wouldnt hurt my cranking battery. Also if you know anything about it . As far as charing the boat when on water with an extension cord ran from the pier . How would you go about doing this. I know an extension cord with ground but would u just plug straight into boat. Or should i get an adapter to make it easier to plug in. Ive never seen an onboard charger but i can only imagine that its a female adapter on the onboards. I know there has to be some sort of adapter. Or would it be sufficient to plug a surge protect into onboard and extension cord into surge? Just looking for ideas. I dont want it to look half azzed i want it to look pretty sleak. Any ideas im open for suggestion. And thank you bcklash you answered my question very simple.
Old 07-16-09, 12:16 AM   #4
bcklash

Just use an extension cord like noemal
Old 07-16-09, 06:28 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Here is a little FYI.....even though you have your batteries hooked in series (24v) when you hook a device to ONE battery it only sees 12volts I could explain it but it gets pretty technical more so that I know I would use the wrong words. You could hokk up 4 batteries to get 48 volts and hook up a 12volt device to any othe the batts and still the device only sees 12 volts is the easiest way I can explain it.
Old 07-16-09, 07:27 AM   #6
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i have the same setup but on mine i just have a 2 bank charger just on the trolling bats, the cranking bat gets a charge when your running so i just put a charger on it when i don't use the boat much. i just wanted to share might save you some money (mine is bps 2 bank 5 amp i think works great)
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 07:55 AM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The "banks" of a multiple bank charger are isolated from each other. That means, each bank only sees the voltage across the single battery it is charging.

By the way, what you are doing sounds great, but from what I've seen, a lot of boats do not have a battery charger hooked up to their cranking battery; i.e, their outboard keeps that one well-charged. More is better though.
Old 07-16-09, 04:55 PM   #8
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey and thanks to the reply's and what you are saying about even though they are seeing 24v's connected. When i connect the 1 bank to one battery it sees 12 volts. I was aware of that ,and i think im just gonna go ahead and get a 3 bank and keep my cranking battery well charged. I do run pretty hard pretty often. Although im new to fishing and boating ive been around it my whole life. I just think why not spend the extra few bucks rather than getting stranded out on the water perhaps. and i know it keeps it charged when running,but its so hot down here in Louisiana at this time of the year its best to fish all morning before sun or all night before sun. So alot of trolling going on with lights running from cranking battery. Not exactly sure how much the running lights/bilge pump drain off the cranker when in use but id still rather play it safe. Plus from what ive read the onboard charger actually extends the life of your batteries. It could be false ,but i havent heard anything negative on it taking life out of them. So i feel its a win win situation. Now im only trying to figure where im gonna mount this booger lol. Thanks, Jerry
Old 07-16-09, 08:14 PM   #9
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

One more quick question. the two trolling motor batteries 12v running in series to create 24v. When i goto plug in the onboard charger would i need to disconnect a lead from the 2 in order for each battery to be treated as a 12v or will it automatically be treated as a 12v even running together? Hard for me to explain but hopefully someone gets the mental picture im trying to make. Thanks again , Jerry
Old 07-16-09, 08:22 PM   #10
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Don't get the xps 555 whatever u do
Old 07-16-09, 08:42 PM   #11
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

lol bass youre a bit late my friend i got it although ive got a few buddies that swear by it. Im sure its got its up and downs not everyone is perfect. But i read the directions which i should have done before asking the question and got my answer. And bass why not the xps 5/5/5?
Old 07-16-09, 11:14 PM   #12
BassMoJo

Ive gone through 4 of them going tommorw to return it and get another one....the first one lasted a fishing this year we have been through 3! bps is pretty good about taking them back but its such a hassell to go there and keep returning them its an hour away...but I havent decided which one to go with next it will be a game time decision
Old 07-17-09, 04:17 PM   #13
pacordon
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Batt. chargers

Anyone using the Minn-Kotta charges?
pacordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 04:22 PM   #14
BassMoJo

Just bought one today to replace my xpx 555, bought the 3 bank 15 amp
Old 07-17-09, 06:56 PM   #15
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea Bass i hear ya. Hopefully i dont have the same trouble that you have hopefully one will last me awhile. Although besides disconnecting inconvienance Bass Pro is only 10 minutes away here in Denham Springs Louisiana. So ive got ya beat on distance lol. I saw the 15 amp 3 bank charger,but it was out of my price range at the time. Anyways fellas thank you for answering with your opinions and your help about this topic. Thanks ,Jerry

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.