Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-07, 08:09 PM   #1
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Prop Bait I made for Stick Marsh

Here is my latest attempt at making my own lure. Painted it to look like a gizzard shad...only slightly more exaggerated colors. Going to sand it with 320 and apply a second coat of epoxy.

Its eventually going to be a prop bait for my trip up to Stick Marsh in two weeks. It will have 2 black trebbles and if I can source it I would like the prop to be black also (thinking of dipping it). If I dont have the time I will just use a spare silver one.

The side profile pic is actual size (Not sure if your screen resolution matters but mine is 1280 x 800).

Anyway heres the pics:

And heres a Pop R I stll have yet to coat with epoxy:

And Dampeoples the Devcon worked great!!!
Old 02-12-07, 08:31 PM   #2
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

those look like wonderful baits...you did a nice job on them.

Did you paint them or make them completely?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:54 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

looks good if ya can not get a black prop blade try a red prop blade- they make these for sure- less flash than silver or brass. and a added bonus a red blur...

zooker
Old 02-12-07, 09:04 PM   #4
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
looks good if ya can not get a black prop blade try a red prop blade- they make these for sure- less flash than silver or brass. and a added bonus a red blur...

zooker
I checked Barlows and couldnt find anything. You have a link for the colored blades?

Ken: The prop bait I made by turning a piece of balsa on a belt sander, and then shaped it with 100 grit. After some finer grit paper, I dipped it 3 times in wood sealer and then sanded it again.

The Pop R is just repainted, rebel makes it.
Old 02-12-07, 09:20 PM   #5
zooker

jrl

http://www.staminainc.com/plugs_hard...er_blades.html

zooker
Old 02-12-07, 09:30 PM   #6
JRL

Great! Thanks for the link.
Old 02-12-07, 10:31 PM   #7
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

They look killer, that devcon gives a really deep look, it's good stuff!

Now quit talkin' and go catch some fish!!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 12:12 PM   #8
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

that looks great! WTG!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 06:24 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Do they have rattles in them? Very nice detail on them. Supposedly the chug-a-bug(if you read the fishing report section from George Welcome) is the great topwater for stickmarsh. I would think the rattles have the effect for that. Let us know how the trip goes. I keep wanting to get back there, and the invite hasn't come, so I guess I just need to just go LOL(flfireman will be ticked when I catch a double digit there on his home lake rotfl). The Baby Paca's ruled while I was there. Greenpumpkin was the color. Texposed with a 1/8 oz weight pegged. Hit the stumps, I mean literally hit the stumps with them.

Lizards
Old 02-14-07, 12:45 AM   #10
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Do they have rattles in them? Very nice detail on them. Supposedly the chug-a-bug(if you read the fishing report section from George Welcome) is the great topwater for stickmarsh.
Lizards
I finished the lure today on my lunch break. It works great! The prop turns even with the slightest cranking. I think its because it sits so high in the water. If I decide to go further with it and make a mold for it Ill defineitley put rattles in a few of them. Do they even make Johnny Rattlers any more?

I tested it out tonight on the lake. Something BIG hit it, but it missed and didnt come back though. One other hit that looked like it might have been 2 lbs.
Old 02-16-07, 03:07 PM   #11
KeithsCatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Handmade baits rock

Very nice looking finish. I have made a few baits myself and I always use Devcon epoxy. But I have noticed that the Devcon can just break or come loose. I have spots where it is missing. Is this possibly due to not getting mixed thoroughly? Just a guess. But catching fish on a homemade lure you made from scratch is awesome indeed. Nothing like that feeling as far as I am concerned. The one lure I made is a jerkbait that is bigger then current models available and is gold foiled to resemble a shiner and has a very nice wobble to it. I have caught 10 bass on it so far and my biggest is a fat 6.2lber at Garcia. Topwater hasn't been too good around here lately with all the cooler temps. I have been doing quite well at Garcia on lipless cranks instead. I haven't been to the Stick Marsh since last October. Just too windy for me to get excited about that lake. Garcia seems more suited to what I like right now. I still want to get on the Stick Marsh soon enough but maybe in March? Here is my Jerkbait I have named a Gold Mullet: I do want to use this at the Stick Marsh

Last edited by KeithsCatch; 02-16-07 at 03:16 PM.
KeithsCatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 06:11 PM   #12
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsCatch View Post
But I have noticed that the Devcon can just break or come loose. I have spots where it is missing. Is this possibly due to not getting mixed thoroughly?
I think were changing our trip to Garcia due to all the bedding bass....

Epoxy will break loose in situations where it has nothing to stick to.

Like applying epoxy over an existing high gloss surface (reason why fiberglass molds are highly polished and waxed). It will stick, but, it will also peel off once the surface seal is broken. It happens a lot on epoxy coated plastic lures. Epoxy likes porosity and surface area. When you sand, you increase the surface area of the surface your sanding and thus giving it more grip.

If youve ever applied epoxy and been unhappy with the finish you can always lightly sand it with 320 (just enough to break the surface). Then reapply a second coat and your finish will come out just as clean as a properly applied first coat. Youll never see the sanding marks.
Old 02-16-07, 07:25 PM   #13
crankybait

yes, when you epoxy, always make sure it is smooth. It always used to peel when I just stuck on the epoxy right after paint.
Old 02-20-07, 10:29 PM   #14
flfireman

Always have an invite. Just tell me when.
Old 02-21-07, 01:44 AM   #15
KeithsCatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys I will try to remember sanding the bait first before I epoxy it. Also, is it better to put a very thin layer on thenm let it dry and then apply another thin layer rather then applying 1 coat of equal thickness?

Garcia is hot lately. I have won the Sunday tournament 2 out of the last 3 weeks. This past Sunday I won with only 7.8lbs of fish. It kinda sucked but then again the wind howled around 30mph and that sort of limits what can be done. Saturday they had a tourney there that took 21lbs to win. So some days are great and other days not so great.
Old 02-21-07, 07:03 PM   #16
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsCatch View Post
Thanks guys I will try to remember sanding the bait first before I epoxy it. Also, is it better to put a very thin layer on thenm let it dry and then apply another thin layer rather then applying 1 coat of equal thickness?
One or two coats, doesnt really matter. It will be harder to balance everything if you go to heavy on the epoxy. Sand before you paint. Then once youve finished your paint job, dont sand it. apply one coat, let it dry, sand, then apply a second.

I was unhappy with the finish in the pics above. So I sanded it with 400 (and water) then coated it for a second time. Sand VERY carefully on sharp edges. The paper will take off a lot more material in those areas, and even ruin your paint job.

Quote:

Garcia is hot lately. I have won the Sunday tournament 2 out of the last 3 weeks. This past Sunday I won with only 7.8lbs of fish. It kinda sucked but then again the wind howled around 30mph and that sort of limits what can be done. Saturday they had a tourney there that took 21lbs to win. So some days are great and other days not so great.
Pretty sure Im still going this Sat. What lures are you guys using?

Im planning using the following on the 4 rods I have:

10" worm
Jig and Pork (brown/red or black/blue or grey/white)
3" crankbait (baby bass colored)
and the prop bait above.
Old 02-27-07, 10:35 AM   #17
KeithsCatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Fished Sat and Sunday again with much different results. I caught 20 bass on Sunday yet not one of them over 15" long haha. I only weighed in 4 fish to boot with 6.2lbs for them. I actually culled 1 too many fish so I would have been in the 7lb mark. Stupid stupid stupid haha. But it didn't matter as some people where on bigger fish and the winning weight was 18lbs even. The last place money winner had 11.9lbs.

Just one of those days I guess?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.