Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-11, 10:51 PM   #1
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Curing my custom Jigs

I already posted here before about curing my jigs and obviously there was too much paint on the jighead and it was forming a cone on top when i hung them in the oven.......anyways is there any other way to cure them or make them more durable? possibly a clear coat or something like that to make the paint not chip when used on the lake?

Im afraid to ruin a bunch of my stock by putting them in the oven and that happening again. Id rather go a route around it. Any help would be great! Thanks guys

Ryan
LSLURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 01:03 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Curing them in an oven is truly the only way to fly. It's the best way to get the paint to set up and be durable. You probable will mess up a few here and there but as you get it figured out you will find that you won't screw up near as many as you would think. What I did when I was powdercoating my own heads is I just kept the ones that were blemished and I fished them myself. They will still catch fish but they just aren't something I would put in a package for a customer. If you want to take it a step further after you cure the powdercoat, you can add epoxy to the head but you still need to cure the jighead before that in order to get the best durablility.
Old 01-03-11, 05:41 PM   #3
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

I kind of figured it was the only way to do it, so do i turn the oven tem. down? last time i did it the paint was running of the head and forming a cone.....now i have 75 shaky heads all screwed up. I dd it on 350 degrees for 10 mins, should i turn it down?

Also what is the name of the epoxy you use for the last coat?
Old 01-03-11, 05:58 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Are you saying that you heated the heads at 350 for 10 minutes before dipping them in the powder? Or are you saying that you cured them for 10 Minutes after dipping them? It could be that you are getting them a little too hot before dipping them and that is possibly a reason you are getting too much paint on them. Another sign of them getting too hot before dipping them is if the paint gets blisters in it after dipping them. If you are preheating them in the oven and having trouble then I would recommend getting a heat gun and playing with it, it made it a lot easier on me.

Here is a good starting point for cure times for certain colors

White - 10 Minutes @ 375*

Chartreuse - 10 Minutes @ 392*

Orange - 10 Minutes @ 392*

Black - 10 Minutes @ 350*

Hot Pink - 10 Minutes @ 392*

Flame Red - 10 Minutes @392*

White Pearl - 13 Minutes @ 325*

Clear - 12 Minutes @ 340*

Yellow - 10 Minutes @ 400*

Red - 15 Minutes @ 350*

Purple - 15 Minutes @ 385*

Glow Overcoat - 10 Minutes @ 375*

Brown - 12 Minutes @ 390*

Blue - 15 Minutes @ 375*

Silver - 10 Minutes @ 375*

Gold - 20 Minutes @ 375*

All Glow Colors - 10 Minutes @ 375*

All Transparent Colors - 10 Minutes @ 392*

Watermelon - 12 Minutes @ 390*

Pumpkin Brown - 12 Minutes @ 390*

Hope this helps
Old 01-04-11, 11:06 AM   #5
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

I am putting them in the oven after i powder paint my jigs. Right now I am using a heat gun but it doesnt have a temp. guage on it. What temp. do you set on your heat gun when heating the head up and dipping the jig head? I hate to sell any without curing thats for sure but some of these bait shops around here want them very soon. I find that when i dip the head in the powder paint, i either get too much or not enough, so how in this world do i get it perfect?
Old 01-04-11, 09:43 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLURES View Post
I am putting them in the oven after i powder paint my jigs. Right now I am using a heat gun but it doesnt have a temp. guage on it. What temp. do you set on your heat gun when heating the head up and dipping the jig head? I hate to sell any without curing thats for sure but some of these bait shops around here want them very soon. I find that when i dip the head in the powder paint, i either get too much or not enough, so how in this world do i get it perfect?
To be honest I can't remember the exact temp I set my heat gun at. It probably wouldn't help you any even if I could tell you because there are a lot of variables like how close you hold the jighead to the heat source, how long you heat the jighead, or what the temperature in the room is. Just experiment a bit with different heat settings and different lengths of time over the heat gun.

Also make sure you shake your powder up often to keep it fluffy and when you dip it just swipe it right and then left quickle and remove it as fast as you can.
Old 01-05-11, 07:05 PM   #7
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome thanks so much for your advice. I have one last question though, there are so many custom jigs that have black wire tie to tie their skirts on, where can i get that black wire? It looks so much better

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.