Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-11, 08:47 PM   #1
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rain gear

Any of you guys use Frogg toggs rain gear? looking a for decent packable rain suit.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 09:23 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I have a set, nova. I've only actually used them a couple times, but I like them a lot. Very lightweight and comfortable.

And they're on sale at BPS Spring Classic
Old 03-01-11, 09:35 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a light set of Frogg Toggs that I bought for summer months. It might just be the set I bought but I might as well just not bother putting them on if it rains hard. In a light shower they do ok but in a heavy rain they don't do me any good. I know there are several guys who like them so maybe it's the set I got. They don't leak at the seams, the water just soaks through them. Since I bought my Pro Qualifier suit last year I use it in the summer, but I actually bought it for the winter months.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 10:01 PM   #4
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used them before and thought they worked fine. However, it was more of a light-steady rain rather than heavy showers.
Bass Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 10:33 PM   #5
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

I got a set of Cabelas guidewear. Best clothing purchase I ever done.I should wear them more often.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 11:15 AM   #6
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I've never tried them but a friend of mine has a set. He said the same thing Carolina said. They're ok in a light rain but in heavy rain, he gets wet. He also said his butt got wet when he sat on a wet boat seat while wearing the pants.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 02:41 PM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Frog Toggs are a temporary rain suit. Once the material becomes too saturated, you will get wet. I bought a set years ago when they first came out, and was never happy with them. Like mentioned before, they don't work well in downpours.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 03:10 PM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If it ISN'T GORETEX it isn't worth putting on. I have light weight and heavy weight suits and it's all Cabela's. I've done multiple days in heavy rain and not gotten wet, I wouldn't wear ANYTHING else in the rain - if I want to stay dry. Other brands should be just as good - just be certain it's made with GORETEX and you won't get wet.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 03:49 PM   #9
walkeraviator

I have some frogg toggs I got at Dicks a few years ago. They are great for me. The only time i have issues is i didnt get the bibs, and sometimes a gap opens up above my pants and below my jacket. Get bibs, whatever brand you buy.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 07:11 PM   #10
nova385

About 50/50 - Hate to put out 150-200 for a gortex rain suit I'll only wear 2 times a year.

Guess I'll stick to the speedo! Dries super fast, and get to fish without any one coming up on my spot.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 07:45 PM   #11
DrG
BassFishin.Com Member

The problem in buying rain gear is the balance between water proof and breathability. Water proof isn't really a problem - just get a suit made of rubber and you'll be dry. You'll also feel like you're in a sauna. However putting waterproof together with breathability means $$$. Gortex works pretty well but is expensive. e-Vent is superior to Gortex but, as you might expect, is even more expensive (like $250-$300 for just the jacket!) I do a lot of back country canoeing and I use Marmot's line of PreCip lightweight rain gear - it's a different technology than either Gortex or e-Vent but reasonably priced and pretty good at keeping the rain out. You might want to check it out.
DrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 08:19 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
About 50/50 - Hate to put out 150-200 for a gortex rain suit I'll only wear 2 times a year.
That's not easy to do, I get that. But are you ok with spending $75 - $100 on a rainsuit that will NOT keep you dry? That's a far more illogical expense to me. Uninsulated goretex rain gear is going to be $200 - less if you can get it on sale. As one who has spent a day in the rain with a cheap rainsuit, I can tell you it was one of the worst days on the water I've ever spent. The goretex to me is worth every penny. Add to the wetness factor some wind or cold, and you have the makings for serious trouble - hypothermia.

And I can say I've invested heavily. I have a thinsulate jacket, thinsulate hooded (very important, as I learned after the first purchase) jacket, uninsulated parka, a lightweight parka, uninsulted bibs and pants. Those 4 tops & 2 bottoms form combinations for any weather.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 10:33 PM   #13
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

I was just up at BPS in Auburn Hills tonight and the Pro Qualifier separates are on clearance for $134 a piece. (I think they're GoreTex?) Anyhow, they had a pretty good selection of sizes. Rack is on the right as you come in main enterence, kiddycorner from the boats.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 08:59 AM   #14
mike234

Buy the Cabela's Guide Suit or the BPS 100mph suit, the Cabelas is the best. You will get wet wearing Froggtoggs
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.