Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-05, 08:19 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Need some help

I've been reading some of your comments regarding different ways of fishing and have come to the conclusion that you are the ones that I should come to for help. I havent been fishing verry long, but i'm verry interested in the sport, and i know that some of you all are well versed on the habits of the underwater species...i have some equipment that i've been using .. the other day i was walking my dog and a squirrell spooked him, he lurched and , dragged me through some verry heavy patches of hedge row and in the process i tore some muscles in my right casting elbow, and can no longer cast with my right arm. my question is. can i change these poles over to left handed poles? and if so. how hard is it to do? ive learned somuch from you alls comments and this will be highly appreciated, thanking yoall verry much for youralls help. dokter says it might be a while for my arm is ready for casting agin.
Old 10-19-05, 11:27 AM   #2
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

you dont need to change anything really. just watch where the handle is at if you have a spinning rod when you cast. i think this should solve it if i understand your question right.
Old 10-19-05, 01:50 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It depends on the type of reel you are using. Most spinning reels can be changed simply by unscrewing the handle and switching the side the handle is on. I'm guessing you are right handed, so I don't know that changing the side of the handle would make a difference in casting. What you might do is adjust to a two-handed cast and use your shoulders, waist and wrist rather than your elbow. Keep your elbow tucked in, turn at the waist, and add the extra kick with your wrist. It may take a little practice in the back yard to get your timing down, but that would allow you to cast and still protect your torn muscles. Or you could teach yourself to cast left handed, which is something I have never been able to master.

Why not join the forum? It is free and we would love to have you join us.
Old 10-21-05, 09:32 AM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Reb covered it pretty much. First off get healthy, so you don't have to worry about it. Secondly if it's just the casting, the side you reel on shouldn't matter at all when casting, if it's the reeling too, then work plastic or slow moving baits until you get back up to speed.

Lizards
Old 10-22-05, 08:50 AM   #5
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For the time being, until you heal....if reeling becomes an issue, that is to say wears you out after a period of time....switch to finesse fishing....slow fall presentations and deadsticking. Also be aware that you really don't have to cast far at any time..... There are occasions when a long cast works better, but for the most part, the water usually isn't that clear and a medium to fairly short cast will do.

One method that works well for me begins with a zoom speedworm in watermelon/red.....cut off the tail a half inch up from the actual flat hooktail and rig the worm body texposed weightless on a 2/0 worm hook. Cast to a likely spot near weeds for example and simply let the bait fall.....watching line at all times....let it fall to bottom if a fish doesn't take it on the fall....and let it set for a full 30 seconds.....after that, gently reel in the slack and lift the lure about two feet....if nothing on....let re-fall and wait another 30 seconds...slow lift again and if nothing on, reel in and re-cast to another likely spot. If the spot you are casting to is a fallen tree for example, it pays to cast to several areas of the downed tree..... If at the edge of a weedbed, I look for points and coves in the weedy edge and try those first....also if you find the type of weed changing from one species to another, be sure to cast there as well.

A lot of folks have a hard time slowing down, but often the method works so very well, it's worth the effort.
If you can manage a sidearm cast with your sore muscles, that's good too....even if the lure skips a little on impact....sometimes the little extra noise on entry attract the bass's attention.
I just read a variation on the presentation I'm going to try out......On the first lift, when you get to the top of the slow lift and have felt no fish on, simply flick your wrist to give the lure a little unexpected twitch and then letting it begin its second fall.

Hope this helps a bunch....good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 08:52 AM   #6
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You might also want to make up a name and register.....this is a good board....free too!!! Good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.