Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-09, 09:50 PM   #1
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default cross breeding bass

do you as anglers think that it is right to cross breed the florida strain largemouth with other types of largemouth bass to purposely try to grow a 25 pound bass? I dont think they did that when George Perry caught his bass in 1932. I think it should be left to good 'ole mother nature to decide how big they get. I think we should leave it the way we found it, so other generations can enjoy it the way we have.
Old 09-03-09, 10:07 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm right there with ya, man. I always whine about this hehe.
Old 09-03-09, 10:34 PM   #3
WTL

Genetic engineering is going to be one of the great moral questions of this new century. Wait until the debate becomes about whether or not we, having the ability to do so, should start to alter human genes to increase intelligence, athleticism, looks and health!

Its not just bass. I don't like the idea of cross breeding bass, but the old world technology of breeding is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 09-04-09, 01:17 AM   #4
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[QUOTE=WTL;266507] genes to increase intelligence, athleticism, looks [QUOTE]/

WTL we already know you are the best drop shot fisherman in the world. Now do you think they make me has smart has you or you has good looking has me, cause we're both are already super great athletes.
Old 09-04-09, 02:28 AM   #5
cassidyta

I always thought the FL strain was the largest of all the LMB. I don't see how cross breeding would make for a bigger fish. I do think that they may be do selective breeding of the same species.
I have read about attempts to cross breed that create a more aggressive bass that has the size of the florida strain.
I know that it sounds funny comming from the CA guy, but I am not fond of genetic engineering of any species.
Old 09-04-09, 01:16 PM   #6
Raul

Hybrids are quite common where two very closely related species or subspecies live in the same place and are far from being "genetically engineered", or you can say, they were engineered by mother nature.

From the black basses species 3 ( LMB, SMB, Spotted ) are very closely related so itīs not uncommon for them to hybridize, other black bass species are not so closely related ( Red eye, Guadalupe, Suwanee, Shoal ) to the other three species, itīs hard for them to hybridize naturally with them.

So good ole mother nature actually decides how big they can get because not everything is genetics, only if the other two factors ( nutrition and environment ) interact in such matter that the genes are allowed to express.

Good genes without proper food or without good environment will not produce a 20 pounder.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 02:06 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I always thought the FL strain was the largest of all the LMB. I don't see how cross breeding would make for a bigger fish. I do think that they may be do selective breeding of the same species.
I have read about attempts to cross breed that create a more aggressive bass that has the size of the florida strain.
I know that it sounds funny comming from the CA guy, but I am not fond of genetic engineering of any species.
I initially thought the same thing until I read this article about cross breeding tigers and lions to create a Liger. The take a male lion and breed it with a female tiger. The offspring is called a liger and, when full grown, is typically several hundred pounds heavier than the mother tiger.

You never know what the genes are going to do when you cross breed animals.

I don't agree with it either but there will always be people trying to do stuff like, either for "fun" or for the "betterment of mankind".
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 06:16 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
or for the "betterment of mankind".
yeah somthing like that... maybe they would save the millons by catching some west virginia bass-we all know how inbred dem is-and cross breed dem with some fl strain...

they will be big bass that are as ugly as a mud fence...-what a tooth-

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.