Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-05, 10:30 AM   #1
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default This morning

Caught this 1 1/2 pounder in my pond this morning. Was wondering where are the bigger ones and also Talked to some guys in a couple boats today on the lake and they hadn't had much luck. It was really slow this morning. We were all thinking it was this cool down. Any tips for better fishing here.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 12:18 PM   #2
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

What are you throwing for bait? A cool down in Florida is a godsend for the bass. I'm assuming you're fishing water that isn't over 10' deep. I spent 14 years fishing those waters in Florida and that shallow water with 90+ temps every day sure would slow the bite in summer. We usually fished late night with buzz baits or Jitterbugs. I've had excellent success all summer here in Michigan with a white or pearl fluke. This is the same lure I used in Florida with the same results. If I had only 2 lures to fish with, I'd take a fluke and a spinner bait. Colors aren't that important. Just pick a lure and keep tossing it. There'll come a time, once you gain confidence, when you'll be suggesting baits and methods to others. LOL I just got back from fishing. Air temp when we started was 25 Degrees. We caught some real nice bass. 2 were over 4 lbs. I'm still shivering. Good Luck!
Old 10-29-05, 12:36 PM   #3
flachristopherkeene9

Caught it on a white 1/8oz. strike king buzzbait. (my confidence bait in the early mornings) Then threw a spinner for quite some time then threw my custon lure which got two strikes by the same fish but no hook ups.

chris
Old 10-29-05, 12:36 PM   #4
flachristopherkeene9

Also I just checked the barometer and its at 30.26 which is really high since it sits around 30.

Chris
Old 10-29-05, 02:24 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Was the barometer rising , falling, or remaining the same as it was say 3 hours before you went fishing ? Fish the creeks and rivers where the fish are affected by the changing conditions, so they bite better when the weather isn't cooperating.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 02:44 PM   #6
flachristopherkeene9

Don't have very much moving water here in Florida. And the barometer was rising.

Chris
Old 10-30-05, 06:47 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Barometer rising puts the fish in a non aggressive mood. Has to do with there metabolism having to restabilize after a weather change of any effect. Sometimes there change such as when the barometer is falling is a good thing cause they get hungry knowing they really wont feed as well for a few hours and or days. High barometer and or rising will put the fish tight to cover and actually want a more of a finesse or more natural presentation and as I already said TIGHT TO cover. Hope this helps ya bud.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 06:57 AM   #8
flachristopherkeene9

Man that makes it really hard for me. Since all of the tight cover is not reachable by land. Hopefully some brush I cleared out on Shore and made a pile in the pond will hold bass soon cause I can reach that. Also Yeah I know about dropping pressure since I killed them when Dennis came by. Thats when I got my biggest fish which wasn't much. 2 pounds.

Chris
Old 10-30-05, 08:23 AM   #9
pig n jig

Well since its a pond,I suspect your fishing it all of the time.The fish may be getting conditioned to the lures your using.Don't worry about Barametric pressure readings,just fish accordingly to the conditions and fish activity level.It is important to stay confident that you can catch fish any given day.If you keep track of the barometer, you will know when they are biting or not and you will have a tendacy not to fish, or not fish as well on the bad days.The key is to be able to fish whenever you can and figure out how to catch a few fish everyday,no matter the conditions.Change up lures and the lure presentation until you figure out what the fish want that day and soon you will be able to reconize the patterns , the more you fish.I hope tis helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 01:10 PM   #10
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

Chris, do you have any orange grooves or golf courses in your area? Funny question I know After all, we're talking about Florida, the golf course and orange capitol of the world. LOL. I've got a couple of 10 lb mounts that came out this kind of water. They have very little fishing pressure and are usually very accessible. I used to fish the old orange grooves along Hwy 27 and I-4 just west of you. A lot of the old grooves are getting bought up but there's still a lot of water out there. You'd be surprised at how many ponds that aren't even visible from the road. The bigger lakes get a lot of fishing pressure. Go find you a little water hole and don't tell anyone about it. I once caught an 8 lb'er on my first cast and a 5 lb'er on my second cast in a channel 6' wide and about 3' deep off a main lake. Didn't catch anymore that day but what a day. LOL
Old 10-30-05, 01:39 PM   #11
HulaPopr

I was out on the water yesterday for about 2hrs, only caught two. COnditions: High barometric pressure and rising
Hurricane wilma moved through, good fishing just before
Cold front moved through knocking Wilma out of the way
Temp dropped about 20-25 degrees in most areas,
Has been cold, windy, and high pressure since
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.