Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-10, 09:35 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default OK breaking news

http://www.igfa.org/theater/IGFA-Fis...cord-Bass.aspx

On July 2, 2009 bass enthusiast, Manabu Kurita landed a 22 lb 4 oz largemouth bass from Japan’s Lake Biwa. This catch is eligible to tie the nearly 78 year old All-Tackle record caught in 1932 by George Perry.

OK kinda old but still interesting.

Capt Mike
Old 01-08-10, 09:44 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett

It took from July 2 to reach this part of LGMouth heaven...I blame Al Gore

Capt Mike
Old 01-08-10, 11:32 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Pig fo' sho'! Tell me that wouldn't be an Ike moment.
Old 01-09-10, 02:45 AM   #4
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

What a huge fish, will the international thing make a difference in the record books?
Old 01-09-10, 07:03 AM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
What a huge fish, will the international thing make a difference in the record books?
I think dying your hair yellow will..

It is still pending so maybe.

Capt Mike
Old 01-09-10, 10:16 AM   #6
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I think dying your hair yellow will..

It is still pending so maybe.

Capt Mike

Couldn't agree more
Old 01-09-10, 10:55 AM   #7
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The IGFA made it's official ruling yesterday at 1:30. Here is the link to the thread I posted yesterday:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=22486
Old 01-09-10, 01:18 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Forget that guy. Bass fishing has always been (and should remain) as American as Mom's apple pie. There shouldn't even be an "I"GFA Largemouth Bass category.

The problem here is, most anglers used to busy themselves with how to "catch" a giant bass. Now they're all concerned with how to "produce" one. And package it. And market it. It won't be long before there will be lakes where you have to pay for a chance to catch really big bass....oh wait, that's already happened. We're all screwed.

The spirit of George Perry...an unassuming fellow, just looking to catch and release some bass into Lake Crisco...is dead.
Old 01-09-10, 01:29 PM   #9
muddy

Yea forget the guy who finally tied the 70 year old record. The US has owned at least 17 records for fish not native to North America, I am not doing your home work for you fellas, do it yourself and look em up! World Records are international. many of the pike and salmonoid species here , were broguht here from abroad, The kid worked hard, and I am feeling his smile.CONGRATULATIONS
Guys like Fish Chris ( who I know from another board) Crupi and Long, you know the guy who uses 8 to 12 lb test mono, with huge smimbaits, even though thats frowned upon by one of the resident experts here. and has more bass over 15 lbs than anyone alive are all excellent fellas and will share info readily.
I fish for dinks,, and whatever. If I ever catch a bass over 10 lbs it will be on luck, I fish to have fun, do not get into tournaments, big fish chasing or anything else I HAVE ONE JOB ALREADY
These big bass guys are a seperate breed, and will spend hours trying to catch a single fish near the 20 lb mark, they treat this skill like most would treat a religion.
Catching bass over 10 lbs, consirtently is a skill, and this kid claims ( along with others) that there are bass larger than 23 lbs in that same lake

Last edited by muddy; 01-09-10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 03:48 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
many of the pike and salmonoid species here , were broguht here from abroad,

Muddy, muddy, muddy....

I would really like to know where you get your information from. I don't really need to "do my homeowrk" to refute you. It's pretty easy.

"Many of the pike and salmonoid species?

First, every single Esox (pike and pickerel) species is either endemic to high Northern latitudes, which is to say North America, Europe and Russia, or native to North America only. Every single one.

As far as Salmonids go (not "oids", as you say, but I'm sure you will perform yet another of your infamous post edits..), the Ohrid Trout, which I'm sure 3% of this website's membership has even heard of, is indeed non-native to the U.S.

For the Brown Trout, it's hard to say exactly. Yes, it has definitely been stocked outside of its original range. However, like the Rainobw Trout, which has an ocean-going, anadromous saltwater morph (the Steelhead), the Brown Trout also has an ocean-going, anadromous morph (the Sea Trout). So it it conceivable that there were Brown Trout in North America long before man was here, though in very limited instances.

Every other current North American trout species is native (at least the one's the IGFA keeps records for). In fact, I would go so far as to say that the opposite is more likely true. I would be willing to bet that our Brook and Rainbow Trout are now non-natives in a lot of other countries around the world.

But let's disregard all of my previous arguments and get down to the facts. None of the species you might be thinkging of were introduced here for the purpose of artifically growing a world record fish, like the Largemouth was in Japan. If the Japanese fish is legitimate, what's to stop someone growing a largemouth to 30 pounds in a laboratory-controlled environment, and then getting it to bite a hook? Instant world record.

Would an angler wearing a lab coat be the final deal-breaker for everyone? That's where we're headed.

For the record, I don't consider the Ohrid Trout world record (held by an American, caught in the U.S.) to be legitimate, either, though of course, the IGFA disagrees with me. I think if a Japanese guy wants to hold a Largemouth Bass record, that's great! I just think he should buy a plane ticket and come fish here.

Your favorite racist, jingoistic, arrogant, gun-violence loving buddy,

Nofear.
Old 01-09-10, 04:34 PM   #11
muddy

The Brown / Rainbow and Brook trout records were held for a total of 14 times by US anglers on fish caught here, for speicies not native to the waters they were caught on. Northern latitude is different from different continent, as is Europe and North America, unlkess we go before historical times and the land masses were different.
Englishmen brought trout here specifically to fish for them, unless Gordons book is wrong also,

You aint my buddy

Form your ignorant, dyslexic and poor spelling advesary
Old 01-09-10, 04:37 PM   #12
muddy

Ps I have a list ( hard copy) Of trout records kept by IFGA from the start , thats where i figured , by counting all the various trout records and I stopped at 14, ( wioth all the various line clsses and different species) considering some of the 'native" pike you say aere native, records we are not going to count, because I am not sure if they are or are not native, The trout were not native to most of the waters they were caught from, that I do know.

Last edited by muddy; 01-09-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 04:46 PM   #13
muddy

Also: Both the Nothernstrain of LMB and the Florida Strain were intoduced into California and Texas Bodies of water ,( Texas having no natural lakes in it's borders) partially with the direct purpose of growing larger bass.
Texas even participate in a Share A Lunker Program to put back big fisn, thier DNR gets scale samples of these shared fish and are actively involved in developing large fish, on Falcon,Amistad and Fork ( where I have fished and there are giants there)
So if a Cali guy ( they stand the best chance) has a shot at the recored by catching one of these trout gorged and hand picked fish , then they do not deserve the record either? Hogwash
Old 01-09-10, 04:58 PM   #14
WTL

The brown trout was in fact brought by the brits. It pretty much exists in every former british colony/state that can support a population. There is a reason it is in New Zealand.
Old 01-09-10, 05:09 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
The brown trout was in fact brought by the brits. It pretty much exists in every former british colony/state that can support a population. There is a reason it is in New Zealand.

Yes, I know it was "brought" here by the British in 1883, or so the story goes. And they definitely put it in many waters it was not native to.

My point was, it is a very close relative of the Atlantic Salmon, and does have a saltwater form, so it is a tough species to nail down as to its true native range.

Like I said, I will accept its non-native status as accurate, though I submit, it was introduced out of a sense of "bringing something from home", rather than an attempt to break a record. Especially since there was no IGFA until almost 60 years later.
Old 01-09-10, 05:17 PM   #16
muddy

Not to mention the Brook Trout brought out West ( They are not Native West of the Missippi) and the RainBows introduce to the Pacific Run Trout out West, that have produced more fishing oppurtunities and bigger and RECORD FISH, at tiomes, are now playing havoc with the native trout and other salmonoids of the West because they are more agressive and sucessful feeders and now a few populations of native West Coast Trout might find themselves in danger of extinction.
Old 01-09-10, 05:21 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Yeah, but Muddy...the world record Brook Trout was caught in Ontario...95 years ago. Right in the middle of its native range.
Old 01-09-10, 05:21 PM   #18
WTL

I dont like the IFGA record. I do think stocking bass in foreign waters where the fish have few or mismatched competitor species creates a series of records with asterisks. Its still of note that the fish was a legit 22-4.

Off the subject of fish records, I think you and muddy are in love. Yall spend so much time conversing, its sweet.
Old 01-09-10, 05:24 PM   #19
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I think you and muddy are in love. Yall spend so much time conversing, its sweet.
Hahaha. You may be right, Brother Love. I think it's all those hysterical fits and dramatic exits that does it for me.
Old 01-09-10, 05:31 PM   #20
muddy

The LMB Record, which arguably should be split into Northern Strain and Florida Strain was set here a bit over 70 years ago, Whats your point, thats one trout record, considering all the species of trout , those with line classes there are well over 30 record switchs , with a fast look., I count each change in record as a switch

Where I diifer is if the fish are there you can catch them

Every Fall Off Sheapshead Bay in Brooklyn, when the Hudson Striped Bass run starts 30 lb fish are common, do that in a resivior it is something special!. If there are fish to be caught then they can be

The fact that guys like Long and Fish Chris spend so much time, using so much biolgical knowledge to catch each fish over 15 lbs, just goes to show , however they are hard to catch
We are not talking big fish here WE ARE TALKING THE FISH!!!!!! THE RECORD
the hysteria was added when BASS took out that ridiculous policy with LLoyds for 1 million for the next world record!

BTW: The Big bass guys in Cali, exposed their fish to too much publicity and even went so far to lie to a National Geopgraphic Crew , who did a special about theM!
' Castiac and 2 other lakes have reported to have true 23 's in them and this Japanese lake has a rumored fish close to 30 in it

All thos fish came from Florida or Georgia originally , back it their f counts
F_1 being first generation I think the Japanese fish was F 35 ( I belive the f is for filal; year class)
Old 01-09-10, 05:33 PM   #21
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Hahaha. You may be right, Brother Love. I think it's all those hysterical fits and dramatic exits that does it for me.

Nah it is your BS bullying welome ways
Old 01-10-10, 01:15 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Yea forget the guy who finally tied the 70 year old record. The US has owned at least 17 records for fish not native to North America, I am not doing your home work for you fellas, do it yourself and look em up! World Records are international. many of the pike and salmonoid species here , were broguht here from abroad, The kid worked hard, and I am feeling his smile.CONGRATULATIONS
Guys like Fish Chris ( who I know from another board) Crupi and Long, you know the guy who uses 8 to 12 lb test mono, with huge smimbaits, even though thats frowned upon by one of the resident experts here. and has more bass over 15 lbs than anyone alive are all excellent fellas and will share info readily.
I fish for dinks,, and whatever. If I ever catch a bass over 10 lbs it will be on luck, I fish to have fun, do not get into tournaments, big fish chasing or anything else I HAVE ONE JOB ALREADY
These big bass guys are a seperate breed, and will spend hours trying to catch a single fish near the 20 lb mark, they treat this skill like most would treat a religion.
Catching bass over 10 lbs, consirtently is a skill, and this kid claims ( along with others) that there are bass larger than 23 lbs in that same lake
Quote:
The Brown / Rainbow and Brook trout records were held for a total of 14 times by US anglers on fish caught here, for speicies not native to the waters they were caught on. Northern latitude is different from different continent, as is Europe and North America, unlkess we go before historical times and the land masses were different.
Englishmen brought trout here specifically to fish for them, unless Gordons book is wrong also,

You aint my buddy

Form your ignorant, dyslexic and poor spelling advesary
Quote:
Ps I have a list ( hard copy) Of trout records kept by IFGA from the start , thats where i figured , by counting all the various trout records and I stopped at 14, ( wioth all the various line clsses and different species) considering some of the 'native" pike you say aere native, records we are not going to count, because I am not sure if they are or are not native, The trout were not native to most of the waters they were caught from, that I do know.
Quote:
Also: Both the Nothernstrain of LMB and the Florida Strain were intoduced into California and Texas Bodies of water ,( Texas having no natural lakes in it's borders) partially with the direct purpose of growing larger bass.
Texas even participate in a Share A Lunker Program to put back big fisn, thier DNR gets scale samples of these shared fish and are actively involved in developing large fish, on Falcon,Amistad and Fork ( where I have fished and there are giants there)
So if a Cali guy ( they stand the best chance) has a shot at the recored by catching one of these trout gorged and hand picked fish , then they do not deserve the record either? Hogwash
Quote:
Not to mention the Brook Trout brought out West ( They are not Native West of the Missippi) and the RainBows introduce to the Pacific Run Trout out West, that have produced more fishing oppurtunities and bigger and RECORD FISH, at tiomes, are now playing havoc with the native trout and other salmonoids of the West because they are more agressive and sucessful feeders and now a few populations of native West Coast Trout might find themselves in danger of extinction.
Quote:
The LMB Record, which arguably should be split into Northern Strain and Florida Strain was set here a bit over 70 years ago, Whats your point, thats one trout record, considering all the species of trout , those with line classes there are well over 30 record switchs , with a fast look., I count each change in record as a switch

Where I diifer is if the fish are there you can catch them

Every Fall Off Sheapshead Bay in Brooklyn, when the Hudson Striped Bass run starts 30 lb fish are common, do that in a resivior it is something special!. If there are fish to be caught then they can be

The fact that guys like Long and Fish Chris spend so much time, using so much biolgical knowledge to catch each fish over 15 lbs, just goes to show , however they are hard to catch
We are not talking big fish here WE ARE TALKING THE FISH!!!!!! THE RECORD
the hysteria was added when BASS took out that ridiculous policy with LLoyds for 1 million for the next world record!

BTW: The Big bass guys in Cali, exposed their fish to too much publicity and even went so far to lie to a National Geopgraphic Crew , who did a special about theM!
' Castiac and 2 other lakes have reported to have true 23 's in them and this Japanese lake has a rumored fish close to 30 in it

All thos fish came from Florida or Georgia originally , back it their f counts
F_1 being first generation I think the Japanese fish was F 35 ( I belive the f is for filal; year class)
Quote:
Nah it is your BS bullying welome ways
Do I sense a bit of snapper G in your postings? Nah...
Old 01-10-10, 01:55 PM   #23
muddy

No they are correct, not lies and from experience and any outside source has been noted. Snapper G aka Bassboss does not post this way. If I make an error or someone points out something i did not know, I aknowledge that. Nofear is among a group of folks who do not accept the fact that Brown Trout might have been imported here, along with several other species. He is not alone and I just agree with the other documentation, where is your expert input on this? Go play outside or something

Last edited by muddy; 01-10-10 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 02:09 PM   #24
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Do I sense a bit of snapper G in your postings? Nah...

G string maybe..............
Old 01-10-10, 02:39 PM   #25
nofearengineer

Muddy, you are an absolute troll.

I can tolerate you being an idiot.

I can tolerate you being plain wrong, which you usually are.

I can even tolerate you constantly editing your posts to change things you've said when even your feeble brain realizes you were wrong.

But I won't tolerate you lying.

Quote:
Nofear is among a group of folks who do not accept the fact that Brown Trout might have been imported here, along with several other species.
It is fundamentally dishonest of you to misrepresent my statements in that way, when I CLEARLY STATED:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Yes, I know it was "brought" here by the British in 1883, or so the story goes. And they definitely put it in many waters it was not native to.

My point was, it is a very close relative of the Atlantic Salmon, and does have a saltwater form, so it is a tough species to nail down as to its true native range.

Like I said, I will accept its non-native status as accurate, though I submit, it was introduced out of a sense of "bringing something from home", rather than an attempt to break a record. Especially since there was no IGFA until almost 60 years later.
There's nothing uglier than dishonesty, Muddy....though reckless ignorance comes close.

I know it's important for you to try to show me up, but I can assure you, it's not going to happen. You know us internet bullies.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.