Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-06, 04:17 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Bass Spawning

#1. In what months do bass usually spawn?
#2. Where are their beds usually located?
#3. Which baits do you use for getting bass to bite on their beds.

Is the "2006 big bass weigh-in thread" for all bass, or do you need to participate in a tournament?

Thanks-

Julien
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 05:10 PM   #2
Raul

1.- Spawning takes place when the temperature of the water gets to a constant temperature of 60-65° for a period of at least 2 weeks. So it´s not about in which months, the months depend upon the latitude and the height above sea level. The further the north to the equator the higher above sea level tha later in the year the spawn will take place. For example, where I live ( Central Mexico ) where the height above sea level is 5000 ft the spawn takes place in late March early April. But if you rise above the altitude I´m mentioning in the same general area in the sierra lakes at 6500 ft above sea level the spawn takes place a month later in the year.

2.- Bed location depends largely on the contour of the lake, in a shallow bowl like lake you can find beds for very large areas in the 2-3 ft depth range, in a steep bank lake beds can be located at greater depths.

3.- The easiest time to catch LMB is during the spawn, any bait that crosses the nest or it nearby area or that sits on the nest will catch them. Spinnerbaits, suspending cranks, soft plastic baits, topwaters, all those will catch fish.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 09:27 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

raul on it like a rat on a cheeto

zooker
Old 12-07-06, 05:41 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Any idea on when it happens in Wisconsin for Jooleyen? Late April to may?
Old 12-07-06, 06:56 PM   #5
Raul

I assume, considering the latitude of Wisconsin most probably mid to late May.
Old 12-08-06, 08:39 PM   #6
jooleyen

Cool. Thanks Raul. Will I be able to tell a bass bed when I see one? If one is there, will I usually see it?
Old 12-08-06, 09:13 PM   #7
skeeter944

yeah,you will see a light spot on the ground and see the buck bass hovering over it,if you fish a little deeper in and around cover,you might get the spawned out female. remeber to shake your lures on the bass bed,and yuo will probably get the buck bass,and also,fish slower.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 09:14 PM   #8
Raul

Beds can be seen in clear water like white spots about a foot in radius on the bottom. In weedy lakes the fish clear the weeds so you can see an opening in the weedbeds.
Old 12-09-06, 11:08 PM   #9
jooleyen

Cool. Bed fishing sounds like fun. It seems a bit easier and a time to catch fish with baits you usually couldn't. Or to catch a bass on a certain bait for the first time.
Old 12-10-06, 09:46 AM   #10
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i love to use a c-rig with a lizard during spawn.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 09:43 PM   #11
skeeter944

i like to use bubblegum worms on a light t-rig,fished right in the beds.
Old 12-11-06, 01:57 PM   #12
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Although, water temp is a good indicator of when the fish are spawning, the moon phase seems to be the best indicator that I have seen. The first full moon of april seems to be when they really turn on. There ARE fish on the beds before that, but not nearly as much as on the full moon and after. Also, they seem to be reel skidish. If I were you I would fish from the first full moon in april and see what the fish are doing; however, I bet they will spawn later as the others have said. If you aren't catching them on the beds, there are plenty to be caught pre-spawn on jerkbaits and crankbaits. Look for places that you know fish will spawn on and move out to about 10-20 feet. That is where they will stage until the moon and temp are right for them. Also, if there are trees, they tend to be on the shore side of the trees rather then the open water side, and not in the middle, since they are hunting. Then once that first full moon hits in may, they should be on or real close to moving up. That interval between the april and may full moon there will probably be fish on beds but after the may full moon, there should be tons on the beds.

When looking for beds look for rocky or pebble shorelines. Most bass will not spawn in sand since there bed will not stay clean. If the water is clear then: As others have said once they are on the bed it is real obvious where there is a bed. Get yourself a good quality set of polarized sunglasses. I like the oakleys and maui jims but there are plenty out there for far less money. Get an amber color for sunny days and a smoke color for cloudy days.

I like to use different drop shots on the beds. The bottom sinker alows the bait to stay on the bed for long periods of time and you can shake it, but many different things work. Jigs, t-rigs etc all have worked in the past. Also, I have foud that the majority of bedding fish I catch I catch on weird colors. For example, I catch alot of bedding fish on white brush hogs, lizards and senkos. Thats cool because you can usually see the fish take the bait. Plus it allows you to place the bait right where you want it because you can see it better in the water (If the water is clear). Again, many different things work.

Also, be prepared to spend some time trying to catch one fish! If they have been pressured, then they will be harder to catch but normally you can get em'. I tried to catch a 7lbder 3 trips in a row before I finally got her on a 3/8 oz red jig. Caught the male off the bed like 3 times. That reminds me, I don't know if you know but generally you need to catch the male (smaller) off the bed first before the female will come up to protect the bed. Catch him and (if he is legal) put him in the livewell. Then once she comes to the bed you can catch her, then let em both go... the male will go back to the bed and the female will take off... usually! Also, Please practice catch and release with all spawning fish. That is not the time to take fish home to eat them. OK, I think that is all! Have fun, spawn fishing is the best!

Hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 12-11-06, 03:48 PM   #13
mont_lunker_hunter

My lake get swarmed during the spawn. Lots of out of staters with raise platforms on ther decks for better site fishing. But remember that the biggest of the big move up first, so when people start really pounding the lake hard, it's a good chance that the big ones are already done and moved out. The fish in my pic on the left was caught on a point in 12' of water with about 7 boats less than 100 yards (all site fishing in 5' or less)! The fishes tail was still bleeding, blood drippin in my boat!
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 05:26 PM   #14
Christopherkeene9

When do y'all thing it will start here in Fla. This will be my first spawn fished out of a boat!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 05:56 PM   #15
skeeter944

well,it depends chris,check your local fishing report and that might give you a clue. generally,the bass here spawn whenever we have consistent temperatures,and they spawn for about 3-4weeks. remeber,the smaller bodies of water will have spawners first,bigger bodies of water will spawn later. if i were you,i would just fish and scan the shallows for bass making beds.
Old 12-11-06, 06:33 PM   #16
jooleyen

Default Thanks Jolly

Thanks a lot Jolly.
Old 12-12-06, 12:08 AM   #17
Super Fluke

They like wood or struckture.
Old 12-14-06, 10:43 PM   #18
Jolly

Glad to help jooleyen!! Mont_Lunker_Hunter makes several good points! Depth: Usually the bigger fish will spawn deeper and people just float right over the top of em'. Be willing to just fish and not spend all your day on a ladder or raised deck with your rod in your hand. See alot of people every year just driving around looking instead of fishing. If your in a place that is rocky with some structure, its the right time of year and the water is good, then just fish it with a searching bait like a jerkbait or a carolina rig. You may not catch those males off the beds with them (but you may) but you will see them following the bait. Then you can follow him back to his bed and catch his wife! Also, I have heard that the big bass spawn first and have to agree! I think they know when all the pressure is coming so they want to get in and out asap! They don't weigh 10lbs because they are stupid... these animals get smarter every year!

Also, for baits on beds, I use several different lures and every fish is different about what bait will anger them the most. As I said before they get smarter every year so be prepared to throw your whole arsenal at them. I use creature baits (brush hogs, lizards and brand specific ugly stuff) exclusively to make em' mad enough to eat. Then I put something small and subtle (like a small senko, worm, etc) on the bed and they usually tear it up. Again be prepared to spend some time messing with these fish. I prepare all year to catch a few really big fish all year during this time. If your lake is pressured heavily like mine and mont_lunker then you too need to be prepared to be patient and learn a few tricks to help you get an edge over all these crazy fishermen, especially if you are fishing from shore.

Alright hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 01-19-07, 01:12 AM   #19
bassendave
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to bassendave

when do the bass in washington state spawn
Old 01-19-07, 03:00 AM   #20
Jolly

Probably in May or June, but just a guess. Here we start seeing fish on beds at 58 degrees so watch the temp and moon phase. First full moon in May they might be in the early stages, by June it'll probably be on!!

Jolly

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.