Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-11, 10:46 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Do you need money to catch fish?

My one friend buy the tops of the lines poles, rods, lures, etc. He knows a lot more about fishing then me and I needed a new fishing rod for soft platics so brought him to dicks with me and my dad. Me and him were walking around looking or a rod I pick up a 50 dollar rod and he just looks at the price tag and says no good. I am like dude you don't need top of the line stuff to catch fish I can see expensive lures but rods no way. But with out anymore detail what side are you? Do you need high quality equipment or do you need knowledge cause like they say 'knowledge is power'.
Old 07-25-11, 11:09 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You definitely need money to buy fish at the market to tell people you caught!

Seriously, you don't need the best or fanciest gear. Is it nice? yes. Is it enjoyable to use? yes. Is it necessary? not at all.

Before I share the rest of my opinion, let me say that I do have my fair share of expensive combos. While you don't need them to catch fish, they are fun to fish and it is tough to go backwards. Now, I believe that anyone who thinks their top of the line rods, reels, boat, etc. is actually making them a better fisherman is nuts. Nothing will make you a better fisherman but experience and time on the water.

The more expensive stuff will probably last you longer because it is made of higher quality materials (generally, and only to a point). But you can definitely catch fish without it.

I've always held the belief that you should buy best you can afford, which is different for different people. If you can afford to spend $150 on a rod and reel combo then you should. Same goes for if you can only afford a $50 combo or if you can buy a $1000 combo.

Another thing to add is that by being patient and hunting around you can buy a lot more expensive of tackle than you could afford retail. For instance, last month I picked up a reel that was lightly used for almost a season with one small scratch for nearly 50% off retail. That enabled me to stay in my price range and still get a better reel I could have bought retail with the same money. And this isn't the first reel I've bought at or above 50% off retail.

In a very long-winded way, I'm trying to say that you should enjoy fishing no matter what gear you're fishing with. The technique is what really matters when catching fish. But at the same time, you should allow yourself to get what you can even if it may be overkill.

BB
Old 07-25-11, 11:31 PM   #3
Bassboss

Do you need expensive rods to catch fish? No. I was catching bass before I ever got an expensive rod or reel, or 8 dollor bag of plastics or 10 dolor crankbait. But I've gotta say, when I use my little brother cheap baitcaster.. I really know what I'm missing. But one thing I do think is pretty important to invest in is a good rod and reel. Not a 500 dollor combo, just enough... 200 bucks will get you a fine combo. 80$ vendetta, and a $100 dollor speed spool, and you'll be set. Might take some saving.. but it can be done.

You'll really open up allot of fishing opportunities. You'll be able to make a better cast, and really feel what your jig/worm is doing down there allot better then you would with a lesser rod... and I honestly think you will catch more fish. So will disagree, with me, but that's just my view on the whole deal, hope this helps!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-25-11 at 11:43 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 11:34 PM   #4
keithdog

Your friend is barking up the wrong tree. I have to agree with everything BB144 said. Yes, expensive tackle is fun to use, works well "most" of the time and will usually last longer if taken care of. But keep in mind that much of todays medium price range tackle WAS top of the line 10 years ago. Todays tackle has come a long way and you can purchase very good equipment without breaking the bank. You can have the best tackle around, and all the elctric gadgets too, but unless you know what your doing out on the water, it's all useless.
Old 07-25-11, 11:41 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

haha thanks for your opinions. he says i am cheating myself. Yes he usually out fishes me because he has more experience and a lot more people have taught him stuff. but thanks again anymore opinions?
Old 07-26-11, 11:59 AM   #6
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

its all skill, and as above some hoigh price stuff may let you feel, i got a 7 foot medium berckly evo(?) from dicks, well my gf did and put it on a decent reel and it was fine, caught a few.. so yea you dont need big bux, heck in the process of becominng good at a baitcaster i still use a 33 and catch decent sized bass
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 08:01 PM   #7
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Modestly priced equipment can perform very well. I use mostly $40-50 rods and have caught my share of big bass that have needed to be pulled through extremely dense weeds.

It's a rhetorical question because everyone knows the answer, but give an amateur a $400 rod and a touring pro a $50 rod and who do you think will outfish whom?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 09:29 PM   #8
3dkicker

You don't need expensive equipment but you need to look to buy quality. When looking for discounted quality stuff here are two ways.
1) Wait for the winter flea markets and fishing/outdoor shows. Not the big ones with big name pro's and all the brand new stuff but the small ones held at the fire departments or American Legion type places. You can find quality stuff for discounted prices. The guys who like to buy the latest and greatest stuff usually sell their older (one or two years) stuff. Look for quality and get a good deal.
2) Find a good rod and reel repair person in your area. Go and see what he has in stock because they typically have rods and reels for sale. Usually they get some great deals on good equipment and they can tell you what is good and what isn't.
Old 07-26-11, 10:10 PM   #9
bamabassman

look.......i use WALLY WORLD garcia reels ($80.00) lightening rods come from wally world too. along with some other rods, oyu can buy those and still catch fish. the fish doesn't care or know what kind of set up you have. it ain't always the set up,line or bait or a combo of all the above. it's how oyu wiggle the worm so to speak most of the time.
Old 07-27-11, 12:54 AM   #10
oglejust

i always used zebco 33's and caught decent fish, i recently got a abu garcia silvermax from gander for $85.. best money my girlfriend has ever spent on me ive definetly gotten better and more confident. its worth saving to get something a little more quality but i agree with every1, it doesnt take money to get serious about fishing. altho i have noticed my tacklebox growing and my wallet shrinking
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 10:18 AM   #11
Mumpy

You don't need top of the line equipment and tackle to catch fish. That answers your question, but you do need the proper equipment and tackle to catch fish on a consistent basis.

Example, Throwing a Buzzbait with a Cheap Reel that doesn't have the Ratio to get it up and running vs a Moderately priced Reel with the Correct Ratio is a No brainer. It's important to have the right equipment and tackle to catch Fish on a Consistent basis.
Old 07-28-11, 02:12 PM   #12
screwballl

I believe experience will take you much farther than expensive equipment. In some cases it does help to pay a little more for more sensitive rod or better reel, or more reliable boat/equipment, but not a requirement.

I have a $400 jon boat ($600 after trolling motor, batteries, registration, etc), maybe $300 worth of rods/reels, and another $100-200 worth of lures. Some examples:
My main (and most expensive) rod/reel setup is a Pflueger Trion GX-7 (spinning reel), 7 ft. M one piece rod, 3500 spinning reel (I think their model # is 4540GX?) which cost me around $80 as a combo set at Bass Pro. I think the price on this same setup is around $10 or 20 less now. I tend to use soft plastics that cost around $2-5 per bag, and cranks or lures that tend to go in the same price range.

I fished a local LMB tournament 2 months ago where there were 38 boats and 49 people fishing. I essentially placed 3rd despite having the least "worth" of equipment. They only paid out money to 1st and 2nd, and big fish, but they did have door prizes where I picked up some nice lures.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 09:33 PM   #13
66KingFisher

This is kind of like the question. Can you shoot pool with crooked stick?....Heck yeah....lol. A cane pole will catch fish just as good as the most expensive flyrod, and a $60 combo will catch just as many bass as a $500 combo in my opinion. Having said that I will say that better(ie:more expensive)equipment is much more pleasurable to use and normally with less equipment hassles, thus making the overall experience more fun.

That bass watchin your lure swim by doesn't care whether its attached to a high dollar rod and reel or not....He's just lookin fer a meal....lol.
Old 07-28-11, 09:53 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You don't need expensive equipment but you need to look to buy quality.
Well said man, I couldn't agree more.

BB
Old 07-28-11, 11:35 PM   #15
mrmuskie5

look at skeet reese his rods and reels suck lol but he has been on top for sometime now. now look at ish monroe Steez rod=$500 steez reel=$500 thats a $1000 combo and the guy is still getting it handed to him on the elites lol. all joking aside you dont need top notch equipment to catch a bass. look for "construction" of components like im6 or im7 that sort of thing and dont worry about the name on the item. I do agree quality gear over high$ gear. just get out there and suck up knowledge and spank ol' moneybag's butt!
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 08:19 AM   #16
AUFred

For years I used Lightning Rods as my go to rod. Not a high-end rod but good quality & sensitive too. You don't have to have the highest end equipment to catch fish. Buy what you can afford to get on the water. Over time save for better equipment.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 09:44 AM   #17
bassboogieman

NOPE!

But each angler is different and we usually buy what won't break our individual budget, that's common sense. But some of us do not have any common sense - GUILTY, I am. You don't need to spend a lot to catch fish - which was YOUR question - you can fish with ONE inexpensive combo and do that, sometimes quite well.

When it comes to the "premium" tackle the question changes somewhat from just "catching fish" to improving your "fishing experience" or "enjoyment of fishing". Premium tackle can affect the latter two. Choosing quality equipment, will get you lighter, more sensitive rods and better casting, smoother operating drags, etc in your reels. This, for many, makes the fishing more enjoyable and probably leads to catching a "few" more fish. Improved sensitivity in your rods makes bite detection easier and you can feel more of what your lure is doing while in the water, thats why I said you may catch a "few" more fish.

Do you need to spend a lot of money to drive? NOPE, you can buy a KIA or a Ferrarri. Both will get you where you need to go. It's just all in how you WANT to get there. But one will do it a little better, faster and make the ride more enjoyable - IF you can afford it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 10:08 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
NOPE, you can buy a KIA or a Ferrarri. Both will get you where you need to go. It's just all in how you WANT to get there. But one will do it a little better, faster and make the ride more enjoyable - IF you can afford it.
I know your talking about the Kia there right Bruce?..Because I heard that the silver Spectra5's are the baddest car on the roads.
Old 07-29-11, 12:13 PM   #19
bassboogieman

It WAS supposed to be a TRICK question.
Old 07-29-11, 07:18 PM   #20
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
For years I used Lightning Rods as my go to rod. Not a high-end rod but good quality & sensitive too. You don't have to have the highest end equipment to catch fish. Buy what you can afford to get on the water. Over time save for better equipment.
This X2. The Lightning Rod is as good as you can get for the price.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 08:03 PM   #21
lilmule

Its kind of like do you need 18 dollar crankbaits as well,they have their place but dont own a trailer full,50 to 100 dollar rods fit the bill nicely.Reels im genrally 75 and under and dont own any 500 dollar ones,am on ss cant afford such luxury.Does a 500 dollar rod or reel work better ,it ought to.But does it,surely somewhere there is a low level limit,but some 85 dollar reels may operate as well as those twice as much.I still have some 6000 c garicias,good for crig or cranking.My pride and joy is an older lews speed spool 4/7/1,gave 70 for it long time ago,still works like a charm.
As long as you can cast as far as you want,get them in when hooked the rest is immaterial.
I just cant relate to a deck full of gl rods and 500 dollar reels,and even if I could afford them wouldnt buy them.
So no money isnt everything yet it takes some to be in the ball park so to speak.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 10:42 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

This thread brings to mind a severe blood bath we had on here not long ago, hopefully this goes smoother lol.

Personally I am somewhere in the middle. I don't think you need to get crazy with buying high dollar gear but I also think you will benefit from buying the best gear you can afford. If that's a $50 rod than that's just fine. I honestly think if a guy wanted to spend more money in one department and save in another (rods and reels vs. baits) I think higher dollar rods would be more beneficial than high dollar baits. I own a lot of Lucky Craft, Megabass, Jackal, ect. baits and while they catch fish, they certainly aren't a silver bullet that will fill your livewells everyday without fail. On the other hand rods and reels are much the same way in that they might not get you more bites.....or will they? A light rod will let you fish much better all day as you won't get worn out nearly as bad and a sensitive rod will allow you to feel bites that a lesser rod might not. Although a more expensive rod will generally have these features more often than cheaper rods, there are still a lot of cheaper rods out there that are both light and sensitive. And how many more bites will a top of the line rod get you? Nobody will ever know but I think that while the difference may be very small, there still is a difference in my opinion.

Bottom line. Buy what you can afford and fish with what works for you. Your right you don't have to spend $500 on a rod and reel to catch fish. The best equipment you can afford is exactly what you should be fishing in my opinion.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 11:14 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Take it from someone who knows with absolute certainty.

More expensive gear doesn't catch more fish.

Better gear might catch a few more, but unless you're just a prima donna with expensive tastes (), there is no payback for a non-pro angler on high-end gear.

Knowing the difference between more expensive and better is what separates the men from the boys (I was gonna say engineers from the boys, but figured it would just ignite another fire storm...oh damn, i just said it ).
Old 07-30-11, 09:53 AM   #24
bassboogieman

More expensive gear does catch more fishermen.
Old 07-30-11, 11:15 AM   #25
lilmule

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said what you could afford,there are times I would have liked better yet could not afford so made do,depends upon priorities.
As for the most expensive me no but quality must also be in the quatation to be in the top end.
A new lure often will catch more fish as they havnt seen it but a rod n reel its what suits you.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.