Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-06, 02:45 PM   #1
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass
Default Okay, Time to go Braided

Last Saturday, bassintxlady and I lost at least 5 or 6 good fish, (didn't see them) in some trees at Fayette County Reservoir. We where using 12 pound Pline. After losing that many fish, we have decided to spool up at least one reel with braided line to use in the bush/trees. What do you all think of 20 pound test to start with, around trees and wooded areas?

PS. We both caught some nice fish on X-Raps too, after reading about them here on the forum.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 03:04 PM   #2
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sorry to hear you guys lost fish....was it line breakage? If you guys want to start throwin braid i would reccomend 50lb Power Pro. I think it had 12lb diameter. Use a "backing" of mono tie a uni to uni knot. Remember when you use braid to use a palomar knot. I personally think that 20lb might be a little to light weight for heavier structure. Just my .02.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 03:06 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am using the power pro this year and love it
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 03:47 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've been using 20lbs braid for quite some time. I prefer fishing in the trees and heavy slop. I've actually broken more poles using braid than line breaks. I've broken 2 poles and only had the braid break once and I can attribute that to the line fraying. If using baitcasters I'd recomend using something a little larger than the 20lbs as it will dig and bury itself in your spool (not good on baitcasters). If using spinning then I'd go ahead with the 20lbs. Can't beat the thin diameter (longer casts) and awsome strength. Keep in mind, you might find yourself looking for a higher quality hook after switching to braid, I've bent my fair share.
Old 04-24-06, 04:14 PM   #5
bassnman30

I personally use Stren flourocarbon with jigs in 20 lb test. No lost fish, no breaks. Have caught bass up to and over 7 lbs. in the middle of brushpiles.
17 for worms with the same results. No lost fish, no breaks. Been using this line for years.
With no disrespect towards braid, I recommend flourocarbon.
Old 04-24-06, 04:16 PM   #6
pig n jig

I hate to say it, but are you doing with 12 mono in heavy cover(trees) for ? I would start with 30 lb test or 50 lb test braid.50 lb braid is not too big , I am going back to 80 lb test on my flipping sticks, it works better than the thinner braided line. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 08:46 PM   #7
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

well to put my 2 cents in here....i certainly don't want to loose distance with a heavier line...you have to remember here guys.....i'm not as strong in the casting area as you guys....i have short arms and small hands....but we did have some breakage on the lake....but i also think it's user error on my part....i get so excited i just want them to the boat....lol....but as pointed out by my fishing partner betursweetbass....i will take my time and let them wear themselves out.....i do though want to go to a heavier line but i can't give up casting distance...it's very important to me.....
Old 04-24-06, 08:53 PM   #8
dodgeguy

50/12 will give up no casting distance what so ever.
Old 04-24-06, 09:29 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I'm with Dodge-50 lb Powerpro. Has the same diameter as 12 b mono.
Old 04-24-06, 09:43 PM   #10
JB

bass lady some rods load up dif, where you can get long distance just by the rod you choose.
As far as playing a bass out, go fishing sometime with one thing in mind,
as soon as you hook a bass, just let it play out till the bass will almost glide right to ya, being exhausted...once you get that technique down, it pays dividends later on when ya do catch a big one, you don't get so pan icy
Old 04-24-06, 10:31 PM   #11
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

put 50lb PP on and ski that sucker to the boat.you want to catch them or play with them?....lol
seriously,get the 50 PP.you will get a better hookset.
don't forget to pet my dog for good mojo before you go fishing.
Old 04-24-06, 10:49 PM   #12
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintxlady
well to put my 2 cents in here....i certainly don't want to loose distance with a heavier line...you have to remember here guys.....i'm not as strong in the casting area as you guys....i have short arms and small hands....but we did have some breakage on the lake....but i also think it's user error on my part....i get so excited i just want them to the boat....lol....but as pointed out by my fishing partner betursweetbass....i will take my time and let them wear themselves out.....i do though want to go to a heavier line but i can't give up casting distance...it's very important to me.....
then go with 20lbs power pro, has a 6 lbs diameter. Tie on anything more than 1/2 an ounce and you'll cast it a country mile, even the lighter stuff goes pretty far. that's the beauty of braid, its a stronger line with smaller diameter=greater casting distance.
Old 04-25-06, 08:33 AM   #13
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
I hate to say it, but are you doing with 12 mono in heavy cover(trees) for ? I would start with 30 lb test or 50 lb test braid.50 lb braid is not too big , I am going back to 80 lb test on my flipping sticks, it works better than the thinner braided line. P N J
You could say it was poor planning on my part, we are usually fishing open water or around weed beds (hydrilla,etc) Not too many places we go have stumps and or trees in them. Over 50% of our fishing is in small shallow ponds with no real obstacles to be concerned about. Even after more than a decade of serious fun fishin, I will admit I am still learning.

The plan now is to keep some reels spooled up with our favorite lines 10 -14 # Pline/Red Cajun Cast, and then get us some Power Pro and use the braided line for the trees. Another leason learned, slowly but surely, I'm catching on. But with all the help and tips from this forum, it shouldn't take as long.....

Thanks Guys for sharing your thoughts, and all your tips with us.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 06:06 PM   #14
zooker

pnj i like 12 pound mono

zooker
Old 04-25-06, 06:51 PM   #15
pig n jig

So do I Zooker, but the bass here aren't as big as they are in Texas and I don't have alot of trees to fish . 12lb mono is going to have a difficult time bringing the better fish out of heavy cover if any distance of line is out . Of course they will tie you off just as quick with braid if you let them.The thing is 12 lb mono is easier to break than Braid. Better carry a thick stick to wrap the braid around and pull from so you don't ruin your reels trying to get the braid free. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 07:08 PM   #16
JB

We fish a lot of timber up here and rip rap, sometimes its the rocks sharp edges that will make nicks in the line, ya have to get in the habit of running your fingers down the line every now n 'then
Old 04-25-06, 08:44 PM   #17
bass kicker

ya i would go with power pro or fireline and you wont lose any casting distance
Old 04-26-06, 07:01 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintxlady
Hey gal. Glad to see ya postin again. I promise ya you wont loose any casting distance using the 50lb Power Pro. I have done alot of searching and spending alot of money trying this and trying that. Down to 2 lines exclusively.P-Line and Power Pro are the best I have ever used. P-Line is the strongest and most abraison resttant line I have used. Yes you have to replace it a little more often but worth it. After about a month the memory is tough to deal with. All mono or coplomer is left on a reel for very long it has memory and needs to be replace. Power Pro you could sink a battleship with it. I have one of my rods spooled up with it and havent retied in about a month. I throw nothing but bass assasins on this rod and use it about 1/2 the time on every trip. Cant go wrong with these.
Old 04-26-06, 10:34 AM   #19
bassenforcer
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassnman30 hasn't lost one until the other day. When he set the hook on a good one and it snapped his flurocarbon. And if I were you Zook i would at least bulk up to 17lb mono, but i'm not.
Old 04-26-06, 01:44 PM   #20
bassnman30

Bassenforcer, you know that it was a nick in my line, after all it wasn't at the line tie (the place where you tie your line to the hook !). It was Stren, man thats the best line you'll ever need.
It's the most "flexible,impact resistant, strong, invisible, sensative" line that ever came out !
Next time you have a valuable comment that you think that I need to know, call me. Granted, I taught you every thing that you know !
Chances are that if you have found out something that "you" think that might be usefull, then it's probably "old hat"
Please don't get offended, but you'r not as good as you might want people to think that you are ! Listen to me more often, you might learn even more !
Now that WAS a funny .Ha,Ha
Old 04-26-06, 01:53 PM   #21
WTL

Powerpro is also extremly cost effective cause you don't have to replace it all the time. I agree with 1Fastlazer, Powerpro and P-line are great, and I use them for diffferent things. Now there still are some good traditional mono's out there, I still like big game, I just think powerpro gives me a little more...I can remember back to when I would hype big game a lot though and its still a great monofilament.
Old 04-26-06, 01:56 PM   #22
bassnman30

Hey bassenforcer, don't make fun of Zooker, he can't help it !

Hey Zook, I saw a road the other day called "Cid road" maybe theres a "second" house being built there.
Old 04-26-06, 01:58 PM   #23
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Be careful using braided line around wood cover!! Good way to snap a rod into real quickly! I will have to go against the rest on the Power Pro. I have used it and did not think very much of it. It has a waxy feel to it that I do not like. I have starting using and really like the Stren Super Braid. It is a round braid not flat like Spider Line, or Power Pro, and you will actually see increased casting distance with this braid from mono. Unless I am punching through the mats, which this time of year your not, I use it with a 15lb Izorline leader attached with a double unit knot! Good luck!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 10:05 PM   #24
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny BBS
Be careful using braided line around wood cover!! Good way to snap a rod into real quickly! I will have to go against the rest on the Power Pro. I have used it and did not think very much of it. It has a waxy feel to it that I do not like. I have starting using and really like the Stren Super Braid. It is a round braid not flat like Spider Line, or Power Pro, and you will actually see increased casting distance with this braid from mono. Unless I am punching through the mats, which this time of year your not, I use it with a 15lb Izorline leader attached with a double unit knot! Good luck!
Who says were not punching through mats Depends on your definition of mats of course, but vegetation a Raccoon could walk on as PNJ likes to say rotfl. I believe everyone has their own preferences. I tried the Stren Superbraid when it came out, and thought it wasn't even a close second to Powerpro. Powerpro does have a waxy coating, that flakes off more after use, and only gets better. I thought the Stren was very poor for casting distance, especially with weighltess plastics, and light weight baits. I was using the 50lb at the time, but just goes to show ya how we have very different experiences with the same products. Doesn't mean I'm correct for what everyone else likes, but it's correct for me.

Lizards
Old 04-27-06, 05:51 AM   #25
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Who says were not punching through mats Depends on your definition of mats of course, but vegetation a Raccoon could walk on as PNJ likes to say rotfl. I believe everyone has their own preferences. I tried the Stren Superbraid when it came out, and thought it wasn't even a close second to Powerpro. Powerpro does have a waxy coating, that flakes off more after use, and only gets better. I thought the Stren was very poor for casting distance, especially with weighltess plastics, and light weight baits. I was using the 50lb at the time, but just goes to show ya how we have very different experiences with the same products. Doesn't mean I'm correct for what everyone else likes, but it's correct for me.

Lizards
VERY VERY well put there lizzy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.