Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-08, 03:45 PM   #1
TheeBullHead
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Newbie here...How did I do?

First off, I am new to the forum, and from what I've seen so far, it's great! I even read up on using live spiders as bait.

So, I have been wanting to get a new setup for bass fishing here in Minnesota. I just moved here a few months ago and decided to spoil myself. I did a lot of research on the web before heading to Cabela's today, however when I got to the store, all the research I had done went out the door...

By the time I left, I ended up buying a Shimano Crucial CRC-X76MH, 7'6", Medium Heavy, Extra Fast Action, IM-9 Graphite and a Shimano Curado 300DSV. I really like fishing for bass in cover using worms and tubes, but my favorite thing is running a frog over the lilly pads or moss to get that explosive strike. I also bought Spiderwire Stealth 65# braid to tow them through the muck.

Basically, I'm looking to get some input from some of you guys that know a lot more about bass fishing than I do. Did I get the right setup? How did I do?

Thanks!
TheeBullHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 04:09 PM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBullHead View Post
First off, I am new to the forum, and from what I've seen so far, it's great! I even read up on using live spiders as bait.

So, I have been wanting to get a new setup for bass fishing here in Minnesota. I just moved here a few months ago and decided to spoil myself. I did a lot of research on the web before heading to Cabela's today, however when I got to the store, all the research I had done went out the door...

By the time I left, I ended up buying a Shimano Crucial CRC-X76MH, 7'6", Medium Heavy, Extra Fast Action, IM-9 Graphite and a Shimano Curado 300DSV. I really like fishing for bass in cover using worms and tubes, but my favorite thing is running a frog over the lilly pads or moss to get that explosive strike. I also bought Spiderwire Stealth 65# braid to tow them through the muck.

Basically, I'm looking to get some input from some of you guys that know a lot more about bass fishing than I do. Did I get the right setup? How did I do?

Thanks!
Well from the sound of it the Bait Monkey took a big bite out of ya, but you did good! The only difference is that I would've gone with the 30# Power Pro Braid instead, but everything else sounds great.
Old 08-02-08, 04:26 PM   #3
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yep, you are gonna get bombed about the spiderwire (i use sufix) mostly powerpro users here. other than that sounds like you did your homework and spent well, now go fishin!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 04:28 PM   #4
Jim80

same deal not a big fan of spiderwire power pro is the way to go other than that good stuff i hope it leads to many landed hogs for ya , and btw welcome to the site
Old 08-02-08, 04:55 PM   #5
TheeBullHead
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies! The Bait Monkey DEFINITELY got me, but after my first few casts out in the yard, I'm glad he did. It's definitely going to take some time to get used to the longer pole, especially with all the ceiling fans in the house, but I can't wait to get on the water.

Question, why aren't you fans of the Spider Wire? I've basically used it on all of my setups since it came out and it hasn't let me down. However, with that being said, I haven't used another braid line, so I really don't have anything to compare it too.

Thanks again for the posts. I will add a picture as soon as I figure out why the page locks up when I select to "browse" my photos.
Old 08-02-08, 07:45 PM   #6
brushhog

`Bullhead, not having used spiderwire before, I can't answer . I do remember many guys having strong feelings against it. I did a quick search and came up with 98 hits regarding spiderwire, you may want to read some of those.

Remember, you're the one fishing, so if it works for you than go with it. We all have our favorites, it comes down to what performs for you and what you are confident with.

Welcome to the board, a great place with great guys. I've learned a ton here!
Old 08-02-08, 11:04 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey man! Welcome to the Nut-House!

Good rod, although I'm not a fan of Shimano baitcasting reels, and if you aren't happy with the spider wire, I'd suggest Sufix Performance braid. or power pro, but I like the first one much more.

BB
Old 08-03-08, 08:01 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Spider Wire is an extruded braid.. Power Pro is not extruded.

The extrution process melts the outside edge of the braid to create a rough texture. The Spider Wire will not take on water due to this process.
Sounds good right? Only issue is the memory of wire. And after a 100 thousand casts you need to reverse the line.

Power Pro is limper and has the ability to shed water.. This was a real issue when the first spectra line came out.. Like All American Braid.. and Cortland..

Capt Mike
Old 08-04-08, 12:04 AM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i agree with ol bob there. bait monkey ain't done with ya yet pal. welcome to the house of nuts too. keep feeding the monkey fer a while, you'll be alright. lots of great friends here for support too. glad to have you on board.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 11:17 AM   #10
TheeBullHead
BassFishin.Com Member

Just thought I'd reply and say that I've converted to Power Pro and I love it. I can't wait for spring to get back on the water. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-07-09, 11:52 AM   #11
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBullHead View Post
I can't wait for spring to get back on the water.
Me either! I'll be up there on opening day of bass season
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 04:35 PM   #12
jig fisherman

Is it really nessacary to buy braid that heavy?For my frog,jig'n'pig/worm combo I was only going to get #15 or#17 braid
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 05:07 PM   #13
The Doc

You want at a BARE MINIMUM 30# and that really depends on what vegetation you will be fishing, as I see you aren't using the rod strictly for frog and jigs. I would stick with a heavier line for heavy structure fishing.
Old 01-07-09, 05:43 PM   #14
jig fisherman

the vegetation and cover is very diverse,this rod will get time near rocks,weeds,and trees and ci'm afraid i will break the rod
Old 01-07-09, 05:43 PM   #15
jig fisherman

maybe something in the 20's would be a good in between
Old 01-07-09, 06:47 PM   #16
3dkicker

jig f - 20lb braid will work but wears a little quicker and you may break off if you don't re-tie. I've been using both, Power Pro and Spiderwire, for a couple years and have only had one or two break offs due to my failure to re-tie.
Old 01-07-09, 09:43 PM   #17
rangerryan

aint nothin like that topwater bite good luck
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 02:03 AM   #18
bassinbob

65 might be a little of overkill unless you fish pads. If your fishing a toad and the hook pops out and imbeds in a pad stem the 65 should either straighten out the hook or pull it out. I've used spiderwire, powerpro, stren, and suffix. I like them all. I will buy the powerpro again, first. I think you did great getting what you did.
Old 01-08-09, 03:08 AM   #19
cassidyta

I throw spro frogs into the tullies and pads all the time. I go with 40lbs. I have broken that off due to getting too deep into the tullies, but those are rare. If you are going to throw into the junk the two things I suggest are one, make sure your rod can support it the tension of the snags you will get into. I believe your rod should be just fine.
You want to have a braid that allows you to be confident in tossing into the deep stuff. in my case it might be an opening in the tullies or pads. I don't have that confidence in 20lbs, but that is just my 2 cents worth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.