Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-13, 01:11 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Baby-Bathwater

I've been reluctant to mention this for fear of sounding like a malcontent. New member registrations have been suspended by the admin.. I'm sure this was the only way to stop the invading hoardes. There must be a way to allow legit newcomers to join in and still effectively block the invasive species. Growth is the key to success, there's no telling how many guys/gals that would be wonderful additions to the site have simply gone elsewhere. If other sites can do it I'm sure we can too.
Ideas?
Old 02-12-13, 01:58 PM   #2
Jrob78

I wondered why Bill Hutcheson was our only new member for the last month. This is more reason to implement monitors, at least then they could keep the spammers out while allowing new members access.
Old 02-12-13, 02:02 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I've been reluctant to mention this for fear of sounding like a malcontent. New member registrations have been suspended by the admin.. I'm sure this was the only way to stop the invading hoardes. There must be a way to allow legit newcomers to join in and still effectively block the invasive species. Growth is the key to success, there's no telling how many guys/gals that would be wonderful additions to the site have simply gone elsewhere. If other sites can do it I'm sure we can too.
Ideas?
I couldn't agree more.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 02:28 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Kenneth, are you missing Mr. Moon that badly?
Old 02-12-13, 02:38 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Kenneth, are you missing Mr. Moon that badly?
Click image for larger version

Name:	39dcedbc5e2f927a3e53827ab8e70ac1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	8536
not sure how this relates but I'm sure it does
Old 02-12-13, 02:39 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Name:	1301919401490_8139472.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	8537
Old 02-12-13, 03:20 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

No really, the only way I see this website working is with moderators. 2-3 should be plenty, and even just 1 would probably be enough.....it's not exactly the busiest website on the web. If NOBODY can join, then this site will gradually wither and die. And since Kevin can't be here enough to monitor it like it needs to be now, then there should be someone or someones appointed to do that for him.
Old 02-12-13, 07:18 PM   #8
joedog

Ken you are right.

Just so everyone knows, late at night I frequently share the site with the 'bob and bob show want-a-be's'. Only like 3-7 of them but they ARE HERE STILL.

But I would think a solution could be found that doesn't eliminate the new blood.
Old 02-12-13, 09:35 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post

No really, the only way I see this website working is with moderators. 2-3 should be plenty, and even just 1 would probably be enough.....it's not exactly the busiest website on the web. If NOBODY can join, then this site will gradually wither and die. And since Kevin can't be here enough to monitor it like it needs to be now, then there should be someone or someones appointed to do that for him.
I couldn't have said it better. The site needs to be able to grow and prosper. Maybe we can get Ted Nuggent to be a moderator.
Old 02-12-13, 10:47 PM   #10
Rebbasser

There is a way, although the forum software may not have the ability to do it. Ever notice when you have to register on a site you have to enter a word or series of letters/numbers to register? This is because that spamming web bots or whatever they are cannot read/recognize these. Most of the spamming we have had here are this kind of attack, I think. I think if there were a couple of moderators we ould nip this in the bud and get back to growing.
Old 02-12-13, 11:37 PM   #11
bassinbob

Great idea Reb.
Old 02-13-13, 12:01 AM   #12
joedog

Does anyone know anyone who has tried to join since this challenge?
Curious what steps are being asked for or are they just being refused membership?

The BOTs I was refering to mostly joined torwards the end of Sept.
Yet they can't or don't post.
Can tell the BOTs because they have a 'single digit number' on the end of screen name.
Old 02-13-13, 12:04 AM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
There is a way, although the forum software may not have the ability to do it. Ever notice when you have to register on a site you have to enter a word or series of letters/numbers to register? This is because that spamming web bots or whatever they are cannot read/recognize these. Most of the spamming we have had here are this kind of attack, I think. I think if there were a couple of moderators we ould nip this in the bud and get back to growing.
That's basically what we had before, they couldn't register but their names showed up at the bottom of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	8539  
Old 02-14-13, 10:51 AM   #14
bassboogieman

WE ARE, BassFishing.com ELITES. I don't know what expenses Kevin has in maintaining this site, but possibly to change software to avoid the BOT issue (like the "hidden word" registration requirement) may be an investment he does not want to make. As he does not accept sponsors, it may be too expensive for him to do so individually.

I frequent another site that does utilize sponsorship and I really don't like the limitations that imposes. You can't sell anything you make UNLESS you become a sponsor, if you make negative comments about sponsors - you get a PM with threats to be banned if you don't behave. It's requires being Politically Correct to the EXTREME. But, the owner is getting rich off it. I don't post there very often, it's to restrictive and some of the mods resemble NAZI's especially the "Sponsor Police". If someone is looking for something, no links to Ebay are permitted, and if a product is available from a source other than a sponsor - those referrals often "disappear".

So, all that said - I like the NO SPONSOR affiliation of BF.com, we don't have to worry about OFFENDING a sponsor for cripes sake, can't offend those sponsors. But, I agree it would be easier if we had moderators to control the forums, and not restirct new members from joining in the fun.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 05:35 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Does anyone know anyone who has tried to join since this challenge?
Curious what steps are being asked for or are they just being refused membership?
I have spoken through PM on BassChat with a member who joined up there at the peak of our problems here. He informed me he was not able to register here. I couldn't give him an explanation, but this must be why he cannot.

BB
Old 02-14-13, 08:19 PM   #16
bamabassman

if any of you have kevins cell number, send me a text. i can't right now cause i am so tied up with training for this new job. but as soon as i get a chance, i'll relay this to him ok?

also, see if ya'll can get a new member to join. let's give kevin proof that they can't ok?
Old 02-14-13, 08:53 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
if any of you have kevins cell number, send me a text. i can't right now cause i am so tied up with training for this new job. but as soon as i get a chance, i'll relay this to him ok?

also, see if ya'll can get a new member to join. let's give kevin proof that they can't ok?
There is really nothing to prove. If you try to register as a new user, you get a message that says, "Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.".

Check it out here...

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...s/register.php
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 12:54 PM   #18
bamabassman

Thnaks dean. I'll send him a message when i get a chance ok?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.