Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-09, 07:43 AM   #1
Gearhed
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gearhed
Default Backyard baitcaster practice...wet your line.

So I have been a spinning rod fisherman for years and have decided its time for me to learn how to use the bait caster. So I went to Dick's and bought a berkley lightning rod/abu garcia silver max combo. It was really cheap at $50 w/a $20 mail in rebate. I spooled it up with some power pro braid and headed out to my back yard with a practice plug. I followed all the great directions here about getting it set up right, keep my thumb on the spool(this one took some conditioning after using a spinning reel for a long time) but still backlash after backlash. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, got a backlash so bad I couldn't get it out and had to cut the braid from my spool. So I spool up some mono, 12 lb Stren. Still backlash, backlash, backlash, but also i can't seem to get the distance I would like out of the cast. So i decide to tie on a heavier plug and as I am wetting the knot...I think OMG! MY LINE IS DRY! I tied my knot, dripped some water on my spool to soak it down well, and tried to cast again! EUREKA! Nice long cast with no backlash! What an idiot I am, or was, this stuff is all designed to work when it is wet!

So when you are practicing with your new bait caster in your back yard, wet your spool very often! You will then get the right feel out of your set up for practice.
Gearhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:20 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not entirely sure the dry line was your problem. What size practice plug were you using first, and what size did you change to? Most baitcasters won't perform very well with anything less than 1/4 oz, unless you really know what you're doing, and have the reel set specifically for the light stuff.
Old 04-06-09, 12:18 PM   #3
islandbass

I too used braid for the first time ever and putting on a casting reel to which I was to use also for the first time. Then, fwhuppppppthrhhhh! I thought, "So that's what a backlash is.

I let go to late and my practice weight smashed into the ground and I made a glorious bird's nest.

That was the fastest money that ever went down the drain, a full spool of 30# braid in less than 10 seconds. The nest was so bad I had to cut it out.

The switch to mono is a wise move. Not too sure about the wetting the line deal. Use heavier weights to practice with, like a 1/2 oz bass casting weight. You should be able to make casts with the line wet or dry. Save your lures for fishing. Also, even if lures weigh the same, they might not have the same aerodynamic qualities. This can play a role as to why some baits you can cast well and others give you trouble in the early stages of learning.
Old 04-06-09, 12:23 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sounds to me like you don't have her dialed in....set your drag so that it is difficult to pull line out, now hold the rod up at roughly a 45 degree angle with some sort of casting plug or weight tied on...release the spool, the line should drop very slowly, just barely creep down to the floor...if it's dropping too quickly use your tension knob to adjust it during the fall...also if you have a magnetic braking system I would adjust it to about 3/4 full until you start getting comfortable with casting...

I cannot emphasize the rate of fall enough...VERY VERY SLOWLY..as if it is struggling to reach the floor...
Old 04-06-09, 12:54 PM   #5
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhed View Post
So I have been a spinning rod fisherman for years and have decided its time for me to learn how to use the bait caster. So I went to Dick's and bought a berkley lightning rod/abu garcia silver max combo. It was really cheap at $50 w/a $20 mail in rebate. I spooled it up with some power pro braid and headed out to my back yard with a practice plug. I followed all the great directions here about getting it set up right, keep my thumb on the spool(this one took some conditioning after using a spinning reel for a long time) but still backlash after backlash. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, got a backlash so bad I couldn't get it out and had to cut the braid from my spool. So I spool up some mono, 12 lb Stren. Still backlash, backlash, backlash, but also i can't seem to get the distance I would like out of the cast. So i decide to tie on a heavier plug and as I am wetting the knot...I think OMG! MY LINE IS DRY! I tied my knot, dripped some water on my spool to soak it down well, and tried to cast again! EUREKA! Nice long cast with no backlash! What an idiot I am, or was, this stuff is all designed to work when it is wet!

So when you are practicing with your new bait caster in your back yard, wet your spool very often! You will then get the right feel out of your set up for practice.
You're exactly right. Reels cast better when the line is wet. I don't know if it's because it packs the line on the reel better filling in gaps between line or what, but it really makes it nicer. That's why if I wan't to test a reel, I've got to fish with it.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 04:57 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, now go a treat the line with some kevin van dam's line conditioner. this will help you as much as what has already been posted. pratice,pratice, pratice.
Old 04-06-09, 05:16 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have never had to wet the braid just put it on real tight and go get r done..

zooker
Old 04-07-09, 10:10 PM   #8
Gearhed
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gearhed

I don't know exact weights on my practice plugs, but the first one was likely a bit light, especially after it broke...but the heavier one mentioned is about 1/2-3/4 oz. I didn't mention it, but I have read and reread and reread again how to set up the reel. I am certain I got that right, and I did readjust after adding more weight.

I will also say that as I practiced, I could tell when I needed a little water on my spool. It just felt different as it dried out, it would cast shorter and the line would tend to backlash a little easier.

This is something you would not notice when you are out fishing and maybe it's because I don't exactly have the smoothest, nicest reel that the difference is more noticeable.

Adding KVD line conditioner to the monkey's list, along with some new braid.
Gearhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.