Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 01-29-10, 01:11 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default 1/27/10 Trip

Got out yesterday for the first time this year on Lake Okhissa in south MS. Me and my buddy Tommy ended up with 6, me 5, him 1 for 10 hours worth of fishing. Needless to say it was a tough day. We hit the water about 6:30and had ESE wind most of the day and 51-54° water temp, and about 6-8' of clarity. But there was a highlight, I did manage a fish over 6. I will say that with confidence, because I think if I said 7, I would be called a liar, and we don't want that now do we.

I started out the day with a 3/8 buckeye shakey head with a green pumpkin straight tail worm. I got a bump right off the bat, but swung and a miss. Then my buddy hooked up on a 16" on a watermelon Zoom mag trick worm. Skunked washed off of him. We fished for another hour and I got another bump, but strike 2. I had a rod rigged with 3/8 War Eagle double willow (gold & chrome), white/chart spinner. I was throwing the spinner and letting it touch bottom and pumping the rod to get the blades turning and then slow rolling it. About the third cast, bang, 17" in the livewell. Another couple of cast, bang 14". A few later, bang 16". So I decided I would re-tie. A couple of cast later, I snag a brush top and the line breaks. I caught the bait and lost it again trying to bring it to the boat. Note to self, next time try to snag with a treble hook. Bye-bye $5.79 and my fish catchin' machine. We left that spot and went to another cove on the north bank. I got 2 hits dead stickin' a Senko, but no deals sealed. I did find that the Seaguar #20 Carbon Pro is some bad mamma jamma line. I got hung on the hook set and snapped the gammy 5/0 hook trying to break off since we were tied up. We fished on for a while with nothing. Then we moved back on the south shore in 6-10' of water. I tied on another War Eagle with double gold willows with a white/gold skirt. I threw up on a flat and let it touch down. Bam, stuck like chuck, I thought I was hung, but then I saw the white flash, and I was hollering reverse. I reckon I thought I had a marlin and we needed to chase it, but I knew my buddy was on the trolling motor and felt the boat going forward. I finally got the fish turned and had her coming my way. I saw another fish butting heads with her over the bait and it swung away about 10' from the boat. I thought this is too easy. She must have thought the same thing because when she saw the boat, she turned and peeled out some drag. All I could think was one hook. She made about 3 more hard turns right at the boat, but I wasn't horsing her because were out of the timber. She finally came up and I got some lip. Did my whew and then concluded with the windmill on the back deck holding the fish between my feet, that was for you, NFE hahahaha. I measured the fish right on the dot of 22". I think I could have squeezed out over to get out of the slot, but I am not going to keep a fish like that without the intent to mount. I say the fish weighed over 6 because the game warden told us their recent survey showed an average weight of #6.5-7 for that length. And she was fat and full of eggs. I christened the fish and threw back and wham, I reckon I caught her runner, a 17". We could have packed up then, because the rest of the day was scratch. And I lost another $5.79 on a snag and my last War Eagle. We had a few more short strikes on worms, but no takers until we packed it up at 4:30.
We had a good time though. I got to ride in style in a 07 Bass Cat Pantera II all day and got to try out my Christmas present. I tried a crankbait (DT10) off and on all day when the timber would thin out. I had got my TigeRod 7' Med crankin stick matched with my Curado E5 last week like I told y'all in another thread and all I can say is that this is most sensitive, casting machine I have ever thrown in my life. I never have felt sensation with a rod like I did with this one. I know this might be a sore subject for some over past threads by bringing Tim's name up, but props to a first class rod builder and person. I feel if we can mention any other rod we purchase and believe in, I can mention his by not having any professional ties with the man. I think if I can get my reel right, I will be able to cast 50+ yards with a muscle up cast. I can't wait to hook up on a fish, but just throwing the bait my buddy told me if the post office caught me they were going to charge .44 a throw. I put #12 CXX line on the reel and it is smooth as silk too. I put a little muscle behind some cast just to test the waters and never had a problem with it lashing, it just peeled off like silk. I got a few pictures of my set up just for googling purposes and to give me something to look at when I go back to work. I love the green wrap to match the reel, style and grace baby hahahaha.

Old 01-29-10, 01:33 AM   #2
bcklash

Good report Bubba, I'll take the heat for ya that looks like 7lbs to me. Nice fish dude.
Old 01-29-10, 09:24 AM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds like a good day on the lake. Congrats on that nice fish.
Old 01-29-10, 10:14 AM   #4
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree with bcklash, I would have believed you if you said it was 7 lbs. Nice fish! Nothin beats a successful day on the water.
Old 01-29-10, 10:34 AM   #5
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Very nice Bubba! Heck of a fish!
Old 01-29-10, 10:52 AM   #6
woody

I'm glad to hear your hard work paid off for ya. It sounds like you were in the zone. Nice Fish

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:05 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Bubba thats a great looking fish....Lets be honest and say 6.5!!
Glad to hear you had a great day on the lake!!!...You ever make that order yet?hahaha
Old 01-29-10, 11:44 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bubba, Great fish! sounds like you had a great day fishing.

I'd love to just go fishing right now, even if it was a skunk.

BB
Old 01-29-10, 12:03 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Waff~
It's still on the drawing board Waff. But it should be today or tomorrow. I have got the youngins today, so it might be tomorrow.

Woody~
I just tried what worked in the past for the cool weather.
Glad I picked these up though, now for replacements:
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEGSES-HWC-DSG.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	4639
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEGSS-WGD-WGG.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4640
Old 01-29-10, 06:38 PM   #10
bamabassman

Ha! Well oyu finally posted a pic of it huh? Ok, i believe ya now pal. Nice pig man.
Old 01-29-10, 11:48 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

You gonna show me where that is, Bubba? If I'm gonna tote you around the lake in my boat, it's the least you could do.
Old 01-29-10, 11:58 PM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
You gonna show me where that is, Bubba? If I'm gonna tote you around the lake in my boat, it's the least you could do.

ssippi does have a valid point.......
Old 01-30-10, 12:24 AM   #13
BlueDaksi

Great report!
Old 01-30-10, 01:50 AM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Hey 601, I will take you to all the places I know in there. I caught that on the south end of the lake. It was near the spawning flats. I have nothing to hide.
Old 01-30-10, 09:37 AM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Hey 601, I will take you to all the places I know in there. I caught that on the south end of the lake. It was near the spawning flats. I have nothing to hide.

That's what your new neighbor said
Old 01-30-10, 09:54 AM   #16
Bassboss

Great fish man! upper 6lb range I'd say.

And that's one sswweeettt looking rod man, specially on a curado! One question, re the guides up top (like the last five or so) double footed or single footed?
Old 01-31-10, 02:31 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

4 double footed up front and 5 singles up to the tip BB.
Old 01-31-10, 12:23 PM   #18
bamabassman

Bubba, how far from daniel's place is this lake? Time and miles wise that is.
Old 01-31-10, 05:14 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

'Bout that far...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...45&ie=UTF8&z=9

Here's a little info on it.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/mississippi/...D/Okhissa.html

I'd love to try it sometime, or we could hit Calling Panther...either one works for me just fine.
Old 01-31-10, 05:22 PM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

I think it is about 60-75 for either one for me. So I am game too either way.
Old 01-31-10, 06:39 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Bubba,
First off congratulations on such a beautiful fish, and I too think that fish is probably bumping 7lbs. Also congratulations on the new Crankin' Stick, I don't care how thin the ice is about this subject there is not a better rod on the market. It's tough to beat War Eagle spinnerbaits, they are about all I throw. I am really falling in love with the Screaming Eagle model anytime I can find a lot of smaller shad up shallow, it weights a 1/2 oz. but has the profile of a 1/4 oz. spinnerbait so you get the best of both worlds. Sounds like you had a great day and be glad you don't live in Missouri because right now we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground.
Old 01-31-10, 07:03 PM   #22
bamabassman

Oh yeah bubba.........how do you like the new rod man?

As for the lake in question, we would be better off visiting some of lisa's sisters ( in mobile) whilest i sneek away to the lake, hehehehe.
Old 01-31-10, 08:26 PM   #23
mitshaw
BassFishin.Com Member

very nice fish man
mitshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 01:09 AM   #24
Bubba_Bruiser

C-Rig~
I was reading that at tacklewarehouse.com about the spinners. These were the gold series in 3/8oz. I am definitely going to pick up some more so I can probably be guaranteed to never catch another fish on them hahahaha.
Bama~
My wife is mad because my rods have all been moved from the shed in to the interior closet in the house for protection against tornadoes. It's like C-Rig said, I have never picked up a better rod. I know I don't have much experience with Loomis and some of the upper models. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I should have my stuff in when I get home from offshore to start my own build though on a St. Croix worm rod. But if building my own doesn't work out, I am going to be buying more of the TigeRodz.
MSboy~
See the ! on the left on the south end of the lake on the map from your link. There is a spawning flat right there in the cypress and other trees. The other ! is a built gravel bed, probably 50'X50', for bream. I bet that could be a deadly area in April & May with those channels for the bass waiting on a cheap meal.
Old 02-12-10, 02:03 PM   #25
flippin4it

That my friend is a PIG!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.