Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-03-12, 07:55 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default matching jigs with plastic trailers

do you always match or what if its a 2 tone jig skirt. i have a few brown pumpkin/green pumpkin type jigs. how would you match it, a pumpkin chunk or a greenish type. not just chunks but using the example. Somtimes i change trailers to see what fish want but as a standerd what do you do
Old 04-04-12, 01:06 PM   #2
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

one of the best things i would suggest is to know what the crawdads in your area look like color wise. are they brown with any orange, or just brown and green? just try to go for something similar. or, you can go to the other extreme, and that is to use colors that are not nuetral and stand out. one of the best flippers in this part of the world used an odd combination, black and chartruse jig with a #1 purple pork chunk. he won tons of money with this combo. just experiment and let the fish tell you. the white river chain of lakes, beaver, table rock, and bull shoals, have a unique crawdad. it is called the blue pinchered crawdad. therefore, in our area, it never hurts to have some shade of blue in your color combo.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 02:14 PM   #3
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

There is something about black and blue jig/trailers that just work for me. I'll even use a green/orange jig with black and blue trailer. I also like the okeechobee trailer with a green jig. Like Merc said, and I whole heartedly agree, its good to have some blue in there somewhere.
Old 04-04-12, 04:41 PM   #4
backwater
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to match normally, but if its not working I sometimes go with very contrasting colors (Ex. green pumpkin jig w/ sapphire blue trailer). A black trailer goes with any color jig.
backwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 05:45 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

alright thanx, guess i am craw daddy hunting tomor..
Old 04-04-12, 06:17 PM   #6
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

It's a good idea to try and match the crawfish color patterns with your jigs, but I have caught some nice bass on some crazy jig/trailer color combinations. Just last week I was fishing a jewel football jig in the green gourd/orange with gold flake with an Okeechobee craw colored sweet beaver and caught some nice fish.
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.