Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-11, 08:36 PM   #1
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Gold Rush

Who here watches this show and what's your opinion on how Dakota Fred handled the situation?
Old 11-04-11, 09:48 PM   #2
bassboogieman

It's TV. I thought the story was about the originial group of miners, but now they are covering the orginal Porcupine Cr, with the azzhole Fred, Big Nugget across the creek and the original group looking for new digs in the Klondike. Not near as focused as it was last season. The show has been expanded beyond the scope of that which I found interesting - the original group struggling to make a go of their shared dream - to gold mining in general whcih is not as interesting to me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 09:50 PM   #3
TN_Bassin

Yea... it's turning into swamp loggers. Kindof dissapointing.
Old 11-04-11, 10:01 PM   #4
Tavery5

I watched the series last season, found it to be entertaining, was in high hopes for this season, so far I am left with a not so sure feeling.
Old 11-04-11, 10:45 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Same boat here, I might lose interest trying to watch 3 groups troubles. Just watched it now, found it disapointing that when split up, you only get about 5 minutes of each group.

dakota Fred wanted that claim for a long time. he weasled his way in last year by convincing the owner that it wasn't being mined corectly. All he did was cause trouble. He then found a loop hole to cancel the lease. Of course, the Hoffmans should have know that they had to be sure to make every lease payment on time, or they should have expected that. Fred warned them that he wanted to take it over, they gave him the oportunity to do so.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:51 PM   #6
Tavery5

Got to wonder how much of this is stagged just to add drama to the show. I mean week after week of several guys digging with a backhoe is not going to make much of a show.
Old 11-05-11, 10:00 PM   #7
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think Dakota Fred was a big Jerk. He should have let them mine it and cont their work. He let them do all the hard work now he gets the payoff. I do think that Discovery had something to do with it. I think the show might go down hill if they try to follow all three groups.
Old 11-06-11, 12:49 AM   #8
pro reel

I just watched the aftershow on discovery .com. That shed a little light on the subject. It seems that the relationship between the hoffmans and Earl was very strained at the end of last season. Fred says that there was alot of things that were not shown on TV. Such as numerous complaints from OSHA and the mining industry saftey dept. These things were reported to the claim owner and he would have the ultimate responsibilty. Then in addition, he had informed the hoffmans before they started that the glory hole area was mined before and then filled in in a flood. Fred is kind of alleging that he tried to get the hoffmans to expand the hole and dig through an area that was not already mined and then dig the bottom that would connect to the glory hole, they didn't take his advice and wasted the intire season trying to dig one hole that was not wide enough at the top to have any substantial area at the bottom. Fred said that even after it was clear to Earl that they were very unsafe and inexperienced, he would probably have overlooked the missed lease payment if the hoffmans had even tried to go meat with him and discuss it face to face. He said it was only after Earl had not heard from them that he decided to break the lease based on the missed payment and saftey reasons and then offered to sell it to Fred. So, maybe the show was filmed and cut in a manor that made fred look a lot worse than he actually is, and maybe the hoffmans just screwed up bad.
Old 11-06-11, 03:17 PM   #9
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
So, maybe the show was filmed and cut in a manor that made fred look a lot worse than he actually is, and maybe the hoffmans just screwed up bad.
I have no doubt this is true... makes for a better show if you have the "archvillain".

The Hoffman's did go into the last season with not a clue what they were doing. I can see where they maybe didn't adhere to the OSHA rules. Did Fred say which rules were broken or did he just blow smoke?
Old 11-06-11, 06:15 PM   #10
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
I have no doubt this is true... makes for a better show if you have the "archvillain".

The Hoffman's did go into the last season with not a clue what they were doing. I can see where they maybe didn't adhere to the OSHA rules. Did Fred say which rules were broken or did he just blow smoke?
Fred didn't say which rules were broken. It was short, cut up interveiw. They gave him just enough time to say that Earl had recieved numerous complaintes from the mine saftey folks and other orgs. Now that it htink about it though. At the start of the first show when they fored the plant back up. I noticed that they had a fince around the wash plant. I don't remeber it being there last season. made me wonder if they had gotten in trouble for such a rigged up unsafe plant and then added the fence. Bet there was a lot of issues.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.