Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-11, 02:08 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Apple pie shine

A long time ago I posted a thread asking if anyone had a recipie for apple jack. My uncle was from West Virginia and made the jack every year at this time. Around Christmas he gave us a little taste. It was the best stuff I have ever tasted. He did give me the recipie but I lost it. I did find a recipie called apple pie shine. Well I made some this past week and I can't recall if it was the same as my uncle made but it is amazing if you like apple liquors. I made two gallons. Two of the jars didn't seal as this was the first time I ever canned anything. The others are aging in the old coal cellar to be opened and given away around Christmas.
A friend at work told me he tasted apple jack while working in WV some years ago so I gave him some and he said it was very close. He said, and it was funny when he told it. The locals he was working with gave him a jar to try out. They later came back and asked where it was. He told them he drank it all. Needless to say it goes down smooth and hits you later as he found out. Anyways they made him buy more. They made a call and this old WV shinner with a beard down to his chest and overalls with one strap hanging down drove up in this old car. He opened the trunk and my friend saw a trunkload of shine. He said he'll never forget that day.
So anyways it's easy to make. One gallon of unpasturized cider, one gallon of apple juice, 8 cinnamon sticks and one cup each white sugar and brown sugar. I used one cup of brown sugar and it was sweet enough. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Add one bottle of Everclear. Pour into canning jars with a new stick of cinnamon and seal. Another friend of mine says his boss makes it but instead of the apple juice he uses a gallon of orange juice. Enjoy.
Old 11-05-11, 02:40 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
A long time ago I posted a thread asking if anyone had a recipie for apple jack. My uncle was from West Virginia and made the jack every year at this time. Around Christmas he gave us a little taste. It was the best stuff I have ever tasted. He did give me the recipie but I lost it. I did find a recipie called apple pie shine. Well I made some this past week and I can't recall if it was the same as my uncle made but it is amazing if you like apple liquors. I made two gallons. Two of the jars didn't seal as this was the first time I ever canned anything. The others are aging in the old coal cellar to be opened and given away around Christmas.
A friend at work told me he tasted apple jack while working in WV some years ago so I gave him some and he said it was very close. He said, and it was funny when he told it. The locals he was working with gave him a jar to try out. They later came back and asked where it was. He told them he drank it all. Needless to say it goes down smooth and hits you later as he found out. Anyways they made him buy more. They made a call and this old WV shinner with a beard down to his chest and overalls with one strap hanging down drove up in this old car. He opened the trunk and my friend saw a trunkload of shine. He said he'll never forget that day.
So anyways it's easy to make. One gallon of unpasturized cider, one gallon of apple juice, 8 cinnamon sticks and one cup each white sugar and brown sugar. I used one cup of brown sugar and it was sweet enough. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Add one bottle of Everclear. Pour into canning jars with a new stick of cinnamon and seal. Another friend of mine says his boss makes it but instead of the apple juice he uses a gallon of orange juice. Enjoy.
Hey Bob as a former full bore dopehead and a recovering alcoholic I certainly can't condone or endorse the use of everclear for any purpose other than to pour down into a yellowjackets hole or perhaps as a cleaning agent to remove the resin from your favorite one-hitter Nah..its all good. The highlighted sentence above reminds me of some 70's Thai sticks we used to smoke then curse the dealer for selling us bogus weed then 30 minutes later bust out into uncontrolable laughter when some store clerk asked us if we wanted to pump regular or unleaded.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.