Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-10, 12:02 AM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default other sports

How many of you guys played other sports either in high school or after. I played a little football in school, varsity basketball, ran track indoor (all state), outdoor track and cross country.
I played league and tournament softball for 15yrs untill the boys started playing little league sports. I still league bowl and have for the last 35 yrs. I enjoy watching my nieces and nephews play sports.

BUT BASS FISHING IS WHAT I ENJOY THE MOST.
Old 03-08-10, 12:20 AM   #2
1/4 stick

I ran.

Ran after girls, ran from their fathers, from the teachers, from the principle, and on at least one occasion, from the police.
Old 03-08-10, 07:53 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I ran track untill one day my best friend destroyed my knee while playing football in gym class. That was the end of my athletic career. Now I bike, hike, and chase after bass.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:41 AM   #4
Bender

In high school I wrestled, swam, and ran distance in outdoor track til I fractured my shin during a race, that hurt. Now it's pretty much just fishing and downhill skiing a few times a year. I did snowshoe a bit this winter and used to mountain bike on trails which I should start again. Hiking is fun too since there are so many great trails in this area.

I guess I just don't like being stuck inside.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 09:08 AM   #5
MIbasser

I grew up a jock. Played soccer from 4-12 and had to play with the 6 yr olds because they needed another player. Played baseball as well but never really cared for it. In high school I played 4 years of football. Two years on varsity and could have played at a D2 school but with bad knees and back went to get a better education instead. I was 2nd team all conference with the 2nd most rushing yards and 2nd in scoring (my coach didn't like me very well). I also ran track - 4 years as varsity. My senior year I broke the school record in the 100 meter, I ended up running a 10.86. And yes I still remember it!

Now I'm fat, lazy, smoke and drink!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:18 AM   #6
WaffleJaw

During high school till about 25,I was in deep with billiards..9 ball and one pocket were my main two games..Me and buddy use to work repairing cues for the owner of the pool hall in his store above it....I did alot of gambling with pool,lol....Did alot of tournement play as well..I only did league once,we took 3rd place for Dallas in the A master division...We were the youngest team on the circuit....Not sure how I faded out of it....I sold all my cues a few years back,now I just play maybe a handful of times a year ,instead of 6 hours a day.

The only two sports I play now is disc golf,and hackey sack.....And yes! hackey sack counts!
Old 03-08-10, 10:32 AM   #7
doc

During High School I was a member of the ahsra, more specifically their roughstock team. I rode bulls. 5th in the state my senior year.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:54 AM   #8
brushhog

Football, Basketball, and Track through high school, Basketball in college. Coach football and basketball now. Coached Varsity Track for ten years too.

Athletics have always been a huge part of my life and there aren't too many that I haven't tried at one level or another.

Biggest mistake ever was filling in as an indoor soccer goalie for a college club team at University of Buffalo - I felt like a duck in a carnival shooting gallery!

As a teacher and a coach, I believe there are huge advantages to be gained and lessons to be learned from athletics... As long as you can keep things in perspective and keep the crazy parents at bay!
Old 03-08-10, 11:37 AM   #9
Jrob78

Sports were a huge part of my life growing up, we always had a group of kids that would play football, baseball and basketball. We would often make up our own variations of these games to fit the number of players we had. Homerun derby at the local softball fields was a huge player in my summers. I played basketball, football and baseball at different levels on organized teams from 7th grade on.

I was on the varsity baseball team for 3 years in highschool. I considered playing at the community college I went to but realized I had become burned out and it just wasn't fun anymore. It also cut into my partying time. I've played on a few softball teams over the last 10 years but it just isn't the same, the ball comes in WAY too slow. I used to shoot a lot of pool as well as playing a lot of poker. These days it's pretty much just fishing.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 01:49 PM   #10
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
I ran.

Ran after girls, ran from their fathers, from the teachers, from the principle, and on at least one occasion, from the police.
I had around 10 years playing baseball (age 6-16) and then did plenty of the same type of running myself...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 03:16 PM   #11
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Football, baseball, basketball,on the archery team and raced dirt bikes.
15 broken bones and 7 surgeries later I only bass fish and shoot bow tournys. Been with my wife since I was 15 and she was 14. So I only had a few years of chasing girls befor her.
Old 03-08-10, 09:02 PM   #12
aikenyounggun

wow, i seem like a fail compared to you guys. Dont play high-school sports, mainly cause i lost my passion to play baseball and am way to short. I would just rather fish than do all the conditioning and practices. I played travel-ball for like 5 years, was #1 in the state on one team for 2 years, loved playin second base and battin lead off.

I play ultimate frisbee a lot and can chuck it about 70yds, its really fun. I have started playin rec soccer cause i referee and wanted to tell the kids i actually play, even tho i suck. But refereeing is great money.
Old 03-08-10, 09:26 PM   #13
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
wow, i seem like a fail compared to you guys. Dont play high-school sports, mainly cause i lost my passion to play baseball and am way to short. I would just rather fish than do all the conditioning and practices. I played travel-ball for like 5 years, was #1 in the state on one team for 2 years, loved playin second base and battin lead off.

I play ultimate frisbee a lot and can chuck it about 70yds, its really fun. I have started playin rec soccer cause i referee and wanted to tell the kids i actually play, even tho i suck. But refereeing is great money.
Aiken I think it's cool you work with younger kids. When I was a teenager I umpired Little league baseball and let me yell ya some of those mothers and grandmothers can get on your arse pretty hard.
Old 03-09-10, 12:37 AM   #14
flfireman

Did all the sports when I was young. My new sport is mountain biking. Not doing the extreme jumping off stuff, but still do a lot of technical riding w/ a lil air every now and then.
Old 03-09-10, 05:26 PM   #15
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was a pitcher in highschool. all was well till at 16 I took a line drive to the temple, 1 helicopter ride and several years of therapy later i decided that Baseball wasnt for me so let it rest a few years. At 19 picked up mountain Biking rode mountain trails that was fun for awhile then got into downhilling and a little urban freeriding (steps,rails and pickup beds) Howed that go? Not to good. So now it is just the Strait and narrow for me. "Bassfishing" and Botchee Ball.

Jerry
Old 03-09-10, 06:41 PM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I played football from 6th grade until graduation. I tried the JuCo level, but as a typically slow 5'11 white boy, I was bashed as a lineman. I took a manager position, a glorified name for a field painter and jock washer, for the same scholarship as the players. I also played little league baseball and summer leagues, but never for the high school. I played church league softball up until a couple of years ago when a smashed line drive burnt the side burn off of my face. I then realized that I had a family to support. I also used to ride the 200B enduro class in some of the southern races. But almost took a nasty spill and decided I wouldn't be supporting my family long riding like that. So now all I have to worry about is getting a hook to the white meat and I bowl every now and then with the family.
Old 03-09-10, 07:04 PM   #17
3dkicker

Played a lot growing up. Some baseball, basketball in the winter but mostly soccer. Swam during the summer. High school I played a little football, swam for two years, wrestled for two, and played four years of soccer. Started coaching swimming at the age of 15 and "retired" twenty years later when I moved to where I live now. Coached some high school swimming and soccer too. I help out with the high school soccer teams now but as an athletic trainer I can't coach since I'm working every afternoon. Along the way I've injured both shoulders and one knee so I really don't play much anymore. I lift weights twice a week and stay somewhat active with the two classes I teach. Fishing is my source of competition now although it's nice to win a game against the students every now and then.
Old 03-09-10, 11:08 PM   #18
bamabassman

Football, basketball, baseball. All from th age of 5 till i decided i would rather take the less physical ( or so i thought) sport of fishing and hunting, now i mostly fish but want to get back into hunting soon.
Old 03-09-10, 11:22 PM   #19
66KingFisher

Does racing count?....lol. Right out of high school my brother and I got into drag racing, and raced every weekend for more years then I can remember.....11 seconds was about as fast as we could afford to go in a quarter mile back in the 70's. We got into motorcycles and eventually purchased everything to start our own sprintcar team, and we ran those till I had my big heart attack in 95....now I race on the pc and the Xbox360 only....lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 11:52 PM   #20
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Football, track running the 800 and 1600, sporting clays, getting into drag racing, chasing girls, chasing bass, chasing girls.. getting chased by girls.. haha

bout it..
Old 03-10-10, 12:03 AM   #21
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
Football, track running the 800 and 1600, sporting clays, getting into drag racing, chasing girls, chasing bass, chasing girls.. getting chased by girls.. haha

bout it..
Biting Ears!!!!!!
Old 03-10-10, 08:01 AM   #22
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

hahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 03-10-10, 09:21 AM   #23
mbfishingking
BassFishin.Com Member

Plyed football one year, baseball one year, bowled a few years, but could not stay away from fishing. Am glad I got back to it. O forgot to say new
to site but have watching from side line and learning everybody's secret
so if we ever to get to meet I can keep up.
mbfishingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:48 PM   #24
TN_Bassin

I played football from 4th grade till 10th grade. Quit because our coaches in High School were morons. After that I concentrated on fishing, and playing basketball with friends.
Old 03-10-10, 08:44 PM   #25
carolina-rig-01

Played a little football and a whole lot of baseball. I even made the first round cut at the Atlanta Braves tryouts right after my senior year. Growing up I played USSA baseball up until High School, we played between 50 and 100 games a year and at 11 or 12 years old that is a bunch of baseball. I never got burnt out on it and always wanted to play more. I played through High School and had a few college offers as well (young and dumb and decided against going to college). Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night from having dreams that I was still playing, I have never missed anything like I miss playing baseball.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.