Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-10, 06:18 PM   #1
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What line to use on a baitcaster?

I have been on the fence about what type of line to spool my baitcasters with. I am thinking of using 30 lb braid with a fluor leader? Cranks, worms,spinning,jerks,jigs, tubes
Any advice?

Andy
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 06:25 PM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would say just fluoro.
I wouldn't use braid with cranks or spinnerbaits.
No stretch and you might pull the crank bait out of the fishes mouth.
Unless you fishing heavy cover you shouldn't need braid with worms or tubes either.
That's just my opinion.
Old 05-25-10, 08:01 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I wouldn't fish all those lures on the same line - or the same setup for that matter.

Check out Kevin's Line Guide.

Personally, I use 30lb braid or 12lb fluorocarbon for worms and jigs.

For cranks and spinnerbaits, I like 12-14lb mono or fluorocarbon.

Jerkbaits, I like fluorocarbon, normally 10lb.

Tubes get 8lb on a spinning reel, or 30lb braid/15lb fluorocarbon if I'm flipping bigger tubes on a baitcaster.

BB
Old 05-26-10, 09:02 AM   #4
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, your best bet is fluorocarbon line around 10 to 12 lb.
If your using 1 rod for several fishing styles and techniques fluorocarbon is better suited, it has very low memory, good abrasion resistance, cast-ability is great and low stretch. Just be sure to match it with a good rod.
best of luck...
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:28 AM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have 1 heavy cover rod with braid on it, but it never sees anything but Jigs and T-Rigs.

Everything else I fish on 12-15lb mono because I always have. I havent made the jump to all flouro yet because i fish in mostly stained water and dont fish many techniques that stretch can hurt me on... Personally I see only 2 reasons for Fluoro... fishing clear or fishing deep...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:55 AM   #6
CamG

The best "do all" line out there is 12 lb. Pline CXX.

It's heavy enough to throw jigs/worms, shallow to medium cranking and plenty enough for spinnerbaits. I also use it for most of my topwater applications (except frogs).

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/P-Lin...age-PLCXM.html
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 12:40 PM   #7
66KingFisher

For someone that only has one or two fishin poles the question of what line to use seems alot more confusing.....I know it is for me, since I only have one baitcaster and one spinning reel.....I've been using nothing but mono for years, but just recently tried a hybrid floro/mono line on my spinning reel that I really like so far......I"m still debating on what line to use on my baitcast.....My gut says go with braid since I fish alot of timber and occasionally get into areas of lilly pads and grass......but I dunno.....Juries still out...lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 03:33 PM   #8
nofearengineer

My take on this is....if Andy is asking what kind of line to use on his baitcasters, he might be kind of new to them. He can correct me if I am mistaken.

If he's new, there's really no better choice than some good mono, like Sufix Elite. It will treat you right while you are learning the basics of baitcasters. Wait until you have it down before you start delving into the more unforgiving (fluorocarbon) or more expensive lines (fluorocarbon and braid).
Old 05-27-10, 04:42 PM   #9
WTL

I think this question has several different layers, as Nofear hinted at.

I would adamantly oppose throwing spinnerbaits on mono as opposed to braid for myself. To me, I have become used to the increased thumping sense of a spinnerbait on braid - a feel you dont get with mono or flouro. I also throw into dense cover, and I count on the strength of the braid to help me get the spinnerbait out.

But for others, fishing in open water, clear water, different situations might call for a different line. The reason I feel so confident in what I use is experience, and it takes years to get that. Nobody said to me " you must throw braid on that"...I just came to adapt after losing fish trying to apply mono to a situation, that for me, it was not optimal for.

In the mean time, perhaps mono is the best choice for you. It is after all cheaper, more forgiving and for some easier to control on a baitcast setup. My advice is to learn the baitcaster, and watch out for some of the subtle ins and outs that you get with experience - you will learn to adjust to meet your needs in time. The answer you take away from this thread might not hold forever.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 05:18 PM   #10
Bassboss

Sounds real good as long as it's smooth (like sufix braid or fire line), and it's not over MH F action. Otherwise, a good copolymer is best, better than flouro! If it's gonna be an all around rod, than you're gonna be using top waters and flouro will mess the action of it up! Check out P-line CXX*, and Lake fork Powersilk**. Bother are super, low stretch line (Powersilk I believe has less), and have enough sensitivity to use worms, and jigs, but float, so you can use top waters.

*If you get CXX, than get either 12, or 10. Those are the sweet spots of this line. They have higher breaking strength than the say. 12lb = 17lb, 10lb = 14lb.

** Go by the ISO rating, this a very thin line for it's strength, 15lb I believe has the DI. of 10lb. If you need more strength, than I say go with the DI. of the line you would most often use. If you need longer casts, and are not fishing in really heavy cover, than go with thew ISO of what you would use in these conditions.

Hope this helps - btw, I was in your same situation, I found that copolly works best for me!
Old 05-28-10, 01:46 PM   #11
walkeraviator

what is the stretch like on CXX line??? thats my bigest reason to go fluoro... i have been using 15lb mono to eliminate some of the stretch, but i dont like how it casts...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 01:57 PM   #12
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
what is the stretch like on CXX line??? thats my bigest reason to go fluoro... i have been using 15lb mono to eliminate some of the stretch, but i dont like how it casts...
CXX stretches very little IMO. Fluoro claims to be "less stretch" but with recent studies, it actually stretches the same or in some cases a little more than even mono.

Here's a good link:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

While I haven't done any scientific tests, I believe that CXX stretches less than or equal to the BPS fluoro I'm using now, and I know it has less stretch than the Trilene Big Game I have spooled on a couple reels.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.