Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-10, 07:59 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Better Weekend

The water is HOT HOT HOT even though I only saw 96 degrees compared to 98 last weekend. I started using towels to cover the weels I'm not using because they get too hot to pick up. Also the latches get so hot it burns when you open a compartment. I tried a couple of smaller lakes this weekend, Claude Bennett on Saturday and Tom Bailey Sunday.

I've been to Claude Bennett once before so I had some idea of what to try since the fish were not shallow and most of the lake is shallow. I started throwing jigs, shaky head, and the C-Rig but couldn't get bit on the bottom. Finally I started cranking a bit of a deep diver thanks to tips on here and also throwing a jerkbaits since it seemed the fish were suspended. Lost two fish (one big) on the crank and caught some on both with the biggest on the jerkbait:

same fish:

(board was kept cool in livewell, didn't want fried bass)

Today I went to Tom Bailey where I have never been before. What an amazing looking lake!

Unfortunately I couldn't get bit in any of the wood like this that was all around the lake! But there were baitfish busting out from the wood so I threw a chrome/blue trap (thanks again guys) and caught 4 bass right away, two on back to back casts. I went out deeper and started cranking again and found a creek channel that this 4 1/2# was in:

I got tired of cranking since that bait is really small but pulls hard so I was using a stiffer rod that is hard to cast. I moved over to some pads but couldn't get anything going. Overall it was a good weekend even though I could only fish right during the middle of the day.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 08:06 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Awesome bender, I'm surprised you didn't get bit all in the pads! Looks like a better day than mine too!

Nice bass too, how long was that top one?
Old 06-28-10, 04:55 PM   #3
bamabassman

DATS WHAT I'M TALKING BOUT MAN! fantastic bender!
Old 06-28-10, 07:19 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

A bit warmer than up in the North country hey Bender?
I did a satellite view of enterprise and didn't see much water - are you towing a fair piece to get to water?
Old 06-28-10, 07:41 PM   #5
keithdog

Now THATS some beautiful bass!!! Way to go Bender!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:21 PM   #6
MIbasser

Nice job Bender!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 09:43 AM   #7
Cavs1123

Wow Bender! Those sre some pigs!
Old 06-29-10, 09:52 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Way to go Chris, those are some nice looking fish. And dang that's some hot water... I hate to imagine what the air temp is.

BB
Old 06-29-10, 01:34 PM   #9
Bender

Thanks guys, it is a lot of work to catch fish here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Nice bass too, how long was that top one?
Maybe a hair over 21" if straight on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
A bit warmer than up in the North country hey Bender?
I did a satellite view of enterprise and didn't see much water - are you towing a fair piece to get to water?
It's a lot warmer! Also this is the first place I've lived where there are not tons of lakes around. In Michigan I lived across the street from a lake and had a lot of 300-1,000 acre lakes nearby. In New York there were also a lot of small lakes and a number of big ones (5,000+ acres) within 20 minutes drive. Down here there are about 4 within 40 minutes drive that are all small and no wake and one 4,000 acre lake about 50 minutes away. I plan to go check out the Tombigbee River soon too but that is an hour and a half away. I'm going through a lot more gas in the truck.

The strange thing here is that there are 2 private lake communities. Kind of like golf course communities up north. They both have great bass populations and I know one has a strict bass management policy. If I can swing it I'll be looking to move into one of those places in the future.

The other big difference is that the DNR (or whatever it's called here) actually cares about bass and stocks them. Unlike in NY where in my area they only cared about trout, salmon, and a little about walleye. Even in MI I don't think I ever saw them stock bass.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 03:13 PM   #10
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice looking fish & GREAT looking water, Bender.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 10:45 PM   #11
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great fish.....congrats. and you're right about the stocking in Michigan....they do alot with salmon, trout, walleye and even muskie but never heard of them stocking any bass
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 11:42 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The other big difference is that the DNR (or whatever it's called here) actually cares about bass and stocks them. Unlike in NY where in my area they only cared about trout, salmon, and a little about walleye. Even in MI I don't think I ever saw them stock bass.
Yup, us southerners know what's important. Bass, beer, and NASCAR.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.