Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-06, 04:58 PM   #1
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Uh Its Dropshot Time

For all you midwesterners its time to start throwing the dropshot on your lakes...esp if they have gone clear....don't was your time with anything else on blue sky days from now until febuary.......this is the time of year I really catch some hogs on this rig.
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 05:19 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks fishie
i am open to suggestions at this point.
I did find a frog colored mini torpedo top water lure this morning in the brush, but no fish..tomorrow I'll try the drop shot with a zoom finese worm
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 05:22 PM   #3
Fishie1

Yeah make sure you try the ds this time of the year because it will pay off....use a b caster with 10 pound line perferably though.......try some green worms and some shad worms....I like to use robo worms or some zoom finese worms.....just last year I got into the whole hand poured worms and they have really outshined the others except for the robo's but they are the same thing really. Go with a 3/16th oz weight this time of the year......
When the lakes get clear this is what works for me.....trigs and all that other stuff just doesn't get me many bites late in the year...
Old 10-14-06, 07:09 PM   #4
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I've already got the "shakey head" rod ready to rock.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 07:10 PM   #5
JB

the water here is crystal clear, so I am opting to throw a 4 inch dead ringer in punkin, on 10lb test
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 08:33 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Fishie do you ever use a PNJ as the weight, instead of just a weight?

Lizards
Old 10-14-06, 09:40 PM   #7
zooker

hef
might early for a shakey head bit here..they work best in the mid 50's-and lower- water temps..

zooker
Old 10-15-06, 08:15 AM   #8
Fishie1

I never use a pig n jig as the weight because I have tried it when the water is clear and it can actually scare some fish away that are spooky. It's funny but the fish don't hit jigs that often in the colder months for me.....oh and the shakeyhead is the other thing that I forgot to tell yahs to use...good thing someone remembered.....
Old 10-15-06, 11:53 AM   #9
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

if the fish are real finicky use a spinning rod and 6 lb fluorocarbon......less stretch so you'll get better sensetivity and easier hook-ups
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 04:38 PM   #10
Hef

Zooker,

Might want to start...........I've been slaying them!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Old 10-17-06, 06:13 PM   #11
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie1 View Post
I never use a pig n jig as the weight because I have tried it when the water is clear and it can actually scare some fish away that are spooky. It's funny but the fish don't hit jigs that often in the colder months for me.....oh and the shakeyhead is the other thing that I forgot to tell yahs to use...good thing someone remembered.....
You don't catch fish on them, because you don't use them ?I hate using a drop shot rig, about as exciting as watching the grass grow. Of course I don't use them much, because fish don't hit drop shot stuff much in colder months for me.Kalin grub on a 3/8 oz. leadhead works well for me though, better than a drop shot rig, go figure ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 07:44 PM   #12
Fishie1

Haha....yeah I guess I gave up on the jig for winter bass...so far that is.....Well I got out today and got 6 on the dropshot with a keeper custom worms finese worms.....they have some groovey plastics....might want to check them out....lost a good one that spat the hook.....used a 7foot rod with 8lb line on a baitcaster.......a baitcaster can handle 8lb surprisingly well..plus no line twist problems....I got two on a crank....and 4 on a c rig....
lake was up a foot but the deep bite was on.....I got them on a channel swing with rocks.....biggest one about 15 inches only though but they put up a fight.
Old 10-17-06, 07:45 PM   #13
Fishie1

that abu C3 can throw a dropshot hella far......and will cast 8lb nicely.
Old 10-17-06, 08:39 PM   #14
skeeter944

sounds like you had a pretty good trip. what size abu? the 4600 or the 5500?
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 08:42 PM   #15
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

does anybody have a pic of how to rig a drop shot, im not exactly sure how it should look and it seems like it would be usefull to know how since i amm in central illinois.
FishinWrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 08:46 PM   #16
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

i have 2 4600 C3s and they can throw just about anything. I actully prefer them to my other bait caster it is a curado 200BSF.
Old 10-17-06, 09:06 PM   #17
Hef

Here ya go.

bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html

- Gen Patton
Old 10-17-06, 09:07 PM   #18
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

There ya go
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 09:24 PM   #19
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

So you just cast it out and basicly leave it in the same spot for a period of time and just jiggle the rod to give the bait action.
Old 10-17-06, 09:34 PM   #20
Fishie1

How I have worked this rig for success over the past 5 years or so is to throw it out there.....let it hit the bottom.....start shaking violently a real slack line wit the tip of the rod......when the line tightens up...reel fast and meet the fish with a good pull......I perfer to use a med. rod because there is more tip action and I can get a good hookset......you have to watch the line.

Another way you can fish it is to throw it out to a school and swim it through them.....did that on KY lake a couple of years back....

another way is to cast it out on a windy day and let it sit on a tight line......the current does stuff to the bait...

lastly take the rig and drog the weight around much like a c rig....this is good in the spring for some reason.....

Make sure you get yourself some handpoured worms for this technique...get some 4inch and 6 inch worms and go to town...

best hooks are the Gamas no 1
I have been fishing with the mustads and I have lost a few fish which normally doesn't happen....the wire is too thick on the mustads for d shotting I think...you just have to set harder....

I typically use a 3/16th oz weight or a 1/4th oz weight.......anything heavier and your going to miss fish....

Try a baitcaster with this setup.....just use a lighter rod like a med or med light....eliminates some line twist problems I have found....

one of the biggest things while dropshotting from a boat is to have high speed reel because the fish shoot straight to the surface sometimes and you better be able to catch them....Ish Monroe lost one on Bassmaster on T ROck because of this I think...I watched him and it looks like the fish burnt him but that can happen to anyone.....

Good fishin
Old 10-17-06, 09:34 PM   #21
Fishie1

Oh I use the 4600C3
Old 10-17-06, 09:39 PM   #22
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

i have a 6'6" st.croix legend elite ML with a quantum PTi 30 energy spooled with 10lb vanish transion. Should i use this rod or go with my heaver bait caster.
Old 10-17-06, 11:42 PM   #23
skeeter944

that should do fine.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 07:25 AM   #24
Fishie1

yeah sounds like a good rod for the d shot.......only time to go heavier would be on a mega shot rig...thats a offset hook with a sweet beaver on it and a 1/2 oz weight for flippin docks....then you would want to use a med heavy rod but for all dropshotting that would work great.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.