Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-09, 08:14 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Those memorable teachers?

Well, I know we've all had those teacher we despise, don't like, don't mind, ok ones, good ones, great ones, and than the ones that are just blow your mind awesome! So far I've had two of them that are just blow your mind awesome. Number one, was my 5th grade language/Social studies teacher. He was great! Really liked his job, and defiantly developed friend, friend relationships, rather than teacher student relationships! I can defiantly say that I would not be as good of a student as I am now with out him. He listen, joked around, and loved to debate things, and debate them until you got them down pat! And second, was my 8th grade History teacher! He's a great guy! Really got animated, and really excited in his lectures -- not lessons -- I was always excited, on the edge of my seat, when he taught!

So how about you guys? Both those of you that are in and out of school, what those blow your mind teachers that you will always remember? Names, grades, and what you like/liked about them!

btw, any of you guys teach? My dad teaches.....
Old 09-17-09, 08:23 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd have to say, I'll never forget my Anatomy teacher. He's hilarious. On the first day of school, he explained how he isn't a good teacher that went into teaching to help kids make something of themselves and that he was told his choices were teach or go to jail, lol. He also said, he won't hunt you down to give you your assignments if you're sick (like a good teacher) cause it's a win/win/win for him. First, 0's are easy to add to your final grade. Second, one less thing for him to grade. and third, he get's a warm fuzzy feeling knowing the missing work is going to lower your grade.

BB
Old 09-17-09, 11:41 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I had two in high school that I really admired. One I had a couple physics classes and a chemistry class with. A lot of kids didn't like him because he was tough, but if you were into the subjects he really would push you and make you learn by figuring things out and not just telling you answers. The other one I had for Philosophy and American History. He kept history pretty interesting, but really shined when teaching philosophy. One of my fishing partners is also a teacher. He's a great guy and easy to talk to, wish I had him in school.

As a student I didn't really know how hard teachers work, most of them anyway. My brother is a middle school teacher and wresting coach and he is up and going from 6 A.M. until late every night with grading, lesson plans, etc. Summers off would sure be nice but during the school year they are busy.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 12:04 AM   #4
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Prolly my English teacher 9-12th grade and now I got an American government professior that is like 70 yrs old, but he is nuts and he is funny as hell although the class is gonna be hard
Old 09-18-09, 08:11 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Three of my college professors really come to mind...each for their own reasons.

Dr. Schultz was (still is, I guess) a salt-of-the-Earth type. He taught me most of my Electrical knowledge. He was a great teacher who would do anything for you if you put forth the effort. He even once accidentally missed a whole class because he got so involved trying to figure out why one of our book examples wasn't working out correctly. Great guy who I still see from time to time when I'm doing work for my alma mater.

Professor Naghdi was a professional Civil Engineer who I just happened to have for my Dynamics class. He was one of the toughest professors I ever had, as I only scratched out a B. The kind of guy who really appreciated extra effort on your part. He signed me up for and got me a $1500 scholarship based upon "superior attitude" without me even knowing about it. Think about how great I felt getting that while busting my butt to make ends meet, paying my own way through school. The guy even gave me one of the two yearly ASCE awards for the school, despite me being an Electrical student...largely due to my participation in, and devotion to the sschool's Concrete Canoe program. Though he didn't even teach classes in my major, I talked to him all the time. Other students thought he was a hardass...I thought he was great.

Professor Cook was a Mechanical Engineering professor near the end of his career (I hear he has recently retired...somewhere students are dancing for joy). This man would constantly find ways to let you know just how much smarter he was than you, even going so far as to give you test problems that were hideous combinations of concepts you had diuscussed in class; i.e, you had not done a single example like it before. He would offer to make the tests open book, and nobody took him up on it, because we all knew he would just make the tests exponentially harder. Let's put it this way...I graduated with a 3.59 GPA. Without the 3 classes I took from this man, I would have had a 3.92. From him, I received a B, a C, and a D. The only D I ever got in my 16 years of school. It was not for lack of effort or smarts. He was just a bad teacher. This is one I wish I could forget.
Old 09-20-09, 08:48 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Richard LoCicero would be my choice.
He was my English teacher for however many years we were required to have English in high school, as well as my cultural heritage teacher.
I was one of the biggest potheads in my class but I was the teachers pet in his classes.
He was always inviting my girlfriend and I to go square dancing with him and his wife.
I was in Desert Storm for 8 1/2 months. He wrote me several times while I was there.
Really a great guy all the way around.
Old 09-22-09, 02:54 PM   #7
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Im going to school right now to be a Technology Education Teacher (Woodshop/Metal/Drafting etc.)
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 08:49 PM   #8
Bassboss

Cool guys! Sounds like y'all had some pretty cool teachers!
Old 09-22-09, 09:50 PM   #9
brushhog

I'm a teacher, and it is a job where you have a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people; I constantly keep that in mind. You have to keep in perspective that every kid in there is a son or daughter of someone else. Successful teachers find a way, to reach every kid on their level, make it personal, and make them know you care. That is what will make you memorable, not the curriculum you deliver...
Old 09-22-09, 09:56 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Brushhog is right. When I taught a class at the local Ivy Tech, man, I had to dgi deep into my bag of things I learned from my best teachers to try to reach my class. I don't know what I would have done if it had been 30 people.
Old 09-24-09, 08:20 AM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
I'm a teacher, and it is a job where you have a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people; I constantly keep that in mind. You have to keep in perspective that every kid in there is a son or daughter of someone else. Successful teachers find a way, to reach every kid on their level, make it personal, and make them know you care. That is what will make you memorable, not the curriculum you deliver...

Yup! That is so true right there!

btw, what grade you teach?
Old 09-24-09, 06:11 PM   #12
brushhog

I've been a middle school, 6th grade, teacher for the last 17 years. I'm certified k-6 and have taught bothScience and English,
Old 09-24-09, 06:22 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Cool guys! Sounds like y'all had some pretty cool teachers!
Yep, and I actually forgot something about my favorite teacher. When He was writing me during Desert Storm, he told me that he was taking a really troubled kid, bad home life, and all that, on his yearly fishing trip to Canada, along with his son.
I didn't respect much in High School, but I respected him big time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.