Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-20-13, 10:10 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Two more hooked...

I introduced another niece and nephew to the wonderful world of bass fishing this past weekend. We hosted my sister and her family at our cabin, and although my niece and younger nephew in the family have shown great interest in dock/bobber fishing over the past few years, this time they asked me if I would take them out in the boat and teach them how to fish for bass. Of course I said, "Sure!". I set aside one hour for each one of them to go out individually with me on Saturday afternoon. We cleared all my junk out of the boat and I rigged up a smaller crappie rod with my favorite bass lure (Zoomie), which I knew would be easy for them to use...just cast it out and let it drop. Neither of them had ever used a spinning reel before, so the first order of business when I took them out was to teach them how to cast, close the bail by hand, take a little slack out of the line, wait for the worm to fall to the bottom, etc.

I took my nephew (Wesley, age 7) out first. The first shoreline we hit just around the corner from our place was a bust, but it was good practice for him to cast. He really picked it up very quickly. We headed to a tiny bay on the opposite side of our cabin from the first shoreline, just a couple hundred yards from our place. It wasn't long there when we saw his line going tight, which I was able to point out to him and he could see what I meant, then I helped him set the hook because he had never done that before either. He then proudly reeled in a little Rock Bass. Several casts later, as we hit the 45 minute mark, the same thing happened. This time he set the hook when I coached him to, and he caught his first bass while casting for them. It was just a tiny one at 1lb 3oz, but neither of us cared. I'm sure I was as excited as he was. He wanted to go back and tell the others about it, so that ended up being his last cast.

Next up was an outing with my niece (Julia, age 10). We made about a 5 minute run to one of our normal "good" spots where casting accuracy is of no concern. We probably spent about 20 minutes there with not a single bite. As I was pulling up the trolling motor to head back to the spot where her brother had caught his two fish, I told Julia to let me know when she was no longer interested in fishing and I would take her back to the cabin. Her reply was, "I'll be interested in fishing until I catch at least one fish!". So, back at the little bay by our cabin, we were 45 minutes into her outing when she finally got her first bite. She set the hook and played it like a champ. The water was about 5-6 feet deep and we could see all the way to the bottom, so we both watched as she battled a 2-ish pound Largemouth to just outside of netting distance. I was at the edge of the front of the boat...ready to dive in and get it netted if I had to. Just before it was in my range, it gave a head shake and swam away. I felt HORRIBLE! Dang, I really wanted her to catch a bass! She didn't seem overly disappointed and went back to fishing. Just as we hit the one hour mark and I was getting ready to tell her we needed to head back, she exclaimed, "I got one!" and her little fishing rod started bending like it was going to break. We couldn't see the fish at first because it was buried in some pretty thick weeds ahead of the boat in about 3 feet of water. Somehow she managed to get it out of the weeds and close enough to the boat where I could net it. She was SOOOOOOO excited...and I was every bit as excited as she was! Out of 67 fish we caught as a group during the weekend, this one tied for the 6th biggest at 2lb 11oz.

I also got to take one of their older cousins out for a few hours on Sunday afternoon, and we had a great time fishing together. Here is a shot of our best fish. Mine is a 2lb 15oz LM, and Brian has a 2lb 11oz LM and a nice 3lb 2oz Smallie.

We won't be heading up to the lake this weekend, but after this weekend I'll be up there 4 of the next 5 weekends, including a couple extra days around the Labor Day holiday, so I'm hoping the good "fall fishing" starts real soon!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.